real puzzling problem about HDD space disappearing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Huzefa

Journeyman
I have sent a post earlier also about this . Whats happens is that regardless of what I delete I do not get back the space occupied by these files , its not there in the recycle bin , or some temp directory or any other directory, I do not have norton protected recycle bin, even the disk space wizard does not free up the space occupied by these files , it does free up some space from temp , intenet temp dir etc... but not the space occupied by the files which I delete !! My HDD space is continuously going down now jusT 1GB , I've never seen this before , HELP ! :shock: :eek: :(

q3_abhi

Youngling
In WinXP, system Restore should be turned off as said by qwertymaniac. Delete everything in
x:>Windows>Temp>... Use a program like "Find Junk Files". It will help u.

hafees

In the zone
yes, it is because of the System Restore program. This program will reserve some space for storing informations necessary for the program to work.
You can check how much space is reserved by Right clicking on My COmputer, Properties and then by clicking the System Restore tab. Then you can select a drive and verify howmuch percentage of space is reserved. (typically 10-20%). You can either turnoff system restore for a selected drive or for all the drives.
You can either decrease the reserved space or turn off system restore completely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom