Real Home made Laptop cooler Digit Edition v2.0 (Final).

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
My previous laptop "cooler" was merely a laptop stand to uplift the laptop a little so I decided to heavily mod it and make it into a true laptop cooler. I request the mods to close the previous thread.

*i59.tinypic.com/j08ge8.jpg

New features include a cool skin, a cabinet fan to cool the second graphic card and LEDs that are now USB powered.

*i60.tinypic.com/e6q6ok.jpg

Laptop in action.

*i62.tinypic.com/2lu8v4.jpg

Dark pic.

The results are better now as my Ultrabay GPU remains at 86-87 when playing AC IV at max for 2 hours straight. Earlier it used to hit a dangerous 92 degrees centigrade.

Edit: Temps never go above 83 degrees celsius when the ambient temperature is low.

Last edited:

Hrishi

I will post a video of my laptop cooler and trust me when you'll hear those 80mm four 12v fans running at 20v ~3000rpm and higher ......you'll feel like you're on airport .
I'll post it on weekend.

OP
seamon

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
I will post a video of my laptop cooler and trust me when you'll hear those 80mm four 12v fans running at 20v ~3000rpm and higher ......you'll feel like you're on airport .
I'll post it on weekend.

:shock: Your fans might get damaged if you run them at a much higher voltage than intended, I am guessing you used a old laptop adapter.
How much did you overclock your laptop to get temps which require such heavy cooling? In my case only one fan was enough to cool the hottest component as the other things are at least 20-30 degrees below their danger level. I got a 12v 1A adapter and I can add upto 7 fans on this adapter and they are pretty cheap locally and do a wonderful job in cooling the laptop.

BTW how many LEDs you got? I bet I got more, today I added 5 more so that's 4 red and 5 white.

Also Today I tried really hard to overheat my laptop but with cool ambient temperature, no matter what I did I could not raise the temps over 83 degrees. :cool:

Hrishi

:shock: Your fans might get damaged if you run them at a much higher volt than intended, I am guessing you used a old laptop adapter.
How much did you overclock your laptop to get temps which require such heavy cooling? In my case only one fan was enough to cool the hottest component as the other things are at least 20-30 degrees below their danger level. I got a 12v 1A adapter and I can add upto 7 fans on this adapter and they are pretty cheap locally and do a wonderful job in cooling the laptop.

BTW how many LEDs you got? I bet I got more, today I added 5 more so that's 4 red and 5 white.

Also Today I tried really hard to overheat my laptop but with cool ambient temperature, no matter what I did I could not raise the temps over 83 degrees. :cool:

No led's at all. And the fans are running like that since 7-8 months.
I bought a laptop adapter for 200 bucks for this. Does the job.

The overclock for gpu ~ 35% .and temp difference b/w cooler and no cooler is like 12-15 c at least. Max temps with 35% oc is like 73c and lesser.

But the cpu remains hot and stays under 92c at max load.

OP
seamon

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
No led's at all. And the fans are running like that since 7-8 months.
I bought a laptop adapter for 200 bucks for this. Does the job.

The overclock for gpu ~ 35% .and temp difference b/w cooler and no cooler is like 12-15 c at least. Max temps with 35% oc is like 73c and lesser.

But the cpu remains hot and stays under 92c at max load.

Which CPU?

I got my adapter for 180 bucks and fan for 80 bucks= good deal if you ask me.
My both GPUs are overclocked upto 36.7%. I can overclock more but if I do I get micro stutters in AC IV. Main GPU stays at 75 degrees and second 83 as mentioned earlier. CPU remains at 75. I have seen upto 90 when torturing it with prime95 but during gaming I have never seen it go above ~30% usage.

flyingcow

Shibe
Nice :thumb:
but if i were you i would have put that razer sticker on laptop..
i still havewnt figured out whr to put mine :D

sam_738844

Wise Old Owl
i bet there is some sort of additional cooling for this laptop OP has SLI feature, like say two different running copper heatsinks. have you overclocked them? try ocing them to a 10-15% profile and see it they continue maintaining below 90's. I think you can churn out a close to GTX765M performance with OC, not bad.

OP
seamon

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
i bet there is some sort of additional cooling for this laptop OP has SLI feature, like say two different running copper heatsinks. have you overclocked them? try ocing them to a 10-15% profile and see it they continue maintaining below 90's. I think you can churn out a close to GTX765M performance with OC, not bad.

Check the overclocking thread :p
Yep it has two separate copper heat sinks.
I am getting gtx 770m+ performance.

Hrishi

Which CPU?

I got my adapter for 180 bucks and fan for 80 bucks= good deal if you ask me.
My both GPUs are overclocked upto 36.7%. I can overclock more but if I do I get micro stutters in AC IV. Main GPU stays at 75 degrees and second 83 as mentioned earlier. CPU remains at 75. I have seen upto 90 when torturing it with prime95 but during gaming I have never seen it go above ~30% usage.
Without the cooler the CPU tends to reach 102C and tad bit higher , but with cooler it maintains 90-92C . The CPU is IVB I7-3610QM. It runs very hot , but when it idles in support with the cooler , it reaches 15-16C on some cores at a room temp. of 14-18C.

@OP , do you have a laptop box lying around your house ???
You can use a laptop box , to make even more efficient design .

And the reason why the temps. are not getting across 83C might have something to do with the throttling thing , so look out for that and see if it is throttling .
On a side note , mine doesn't exceeds 75C , no matter how prolonged I game. I stays under that temp unless I remove the cooler.

OP
seamon

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
Without the cooler the CPU tends to reach 102C and tad bit higher , but with cooler it maintains 90-92C . The CPU is IVB I7-3610QM. It runs very hot , but when it idles in support with the cooler , it reaches 15-16C on some cores at a room temp. of 14-18C.

@OP , do you have a laptop box lying around your house ???
You can use a laptop box , to make even more efficient design .

And the reason why the temps. are not getting across 83C might have something to do with the throttling thing , so look out for that and see if it is throttling .
On a side note , mine doesn't exceeds 75C , no matter how prolonged I game. I stays under that temp unless I remove the cooler.

Nah I don't think the cpu will throttle so early as the junction temperature is 105 degrees. I think the thermal design for main gpu and the cpu is good. Besides it doesn't lag in games after playing for 1 hour so....
I have 2 laptop boxes lying around but that would make the front part of the laptop too high. I placed 2 tyre thingies on both sides (pic shows one) so it's pretty good and I am not wasting the LEDs and the razer sticker.

Hrishi

Nah I don't think the cpu will throttle so early as the junction temperature is 105 degrees. I think the thermal design for main gpu and the cpu is good. Besides it doesn't lag in games after playing for 1 hour so....
I have 2 laptop boxes lying around but that would make the front part of the laptop too high. I placed 2 tyre thingies on both sides (pic shows one) so it's pretty good and I am not wasting the LEDs and the razer sticker.
I was talking about the 83C temp for Secondary GPU. GPUs generally start throttling once they hit 85C or so , I think. Unlike CPUs , who start this once they hit 90's.
THe 105C tJmax is not for GPU , It's for the IVB CPU , AFAIK. THe GT650m has lesser tjmax.

OP
seamon

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
I was talking about the 83C temp for Secondary GPU. GPUs generally start throttling once they hit 85C or so , I think. Unlike CPUs , who start this once they hit 90's.
THe 105C tJmax is not for GPU , It's for the IVB CPU , AFAIK. THe GT650m has lesser tjmax.

The 600 series has a junction temperature of 98 degrees as you already know. I haven't seen GPU throttling as far as 91 degrees centigrade, haven't ever gone above that.

I raised a fan a little bit to let more air enter it and now the temps never go above 81 degrees centigrade. That's a 10 degrees improvement. I tested it by letting Heaven run for 1 hour and AC IV the next hour. After 2 hours of stress testing, highest temp HWMonitor showed was 81.

Hrishi

Here are some videos and pictures of my mod.
Listen to the roaring sound of the fans. :p

*s24.postimg.org/9flo364ch/CAM00230.jpg

*s24.postimg.org/chcgd4hhd/CAM00232.jpg

*s24.postimg.org/pf4bmq0e9/CAM00233.jpg

*s24.postimg.org/t3u0m7af5/CAM00234.jpg

*s24.postimg.org/epqmugold/CAM00235.jpg

*s24.postimg.org/5gogkcfpd/CAM00236.jpg

*s24.postimg.org/faa9aw77l/CAM00237.jpg

*s24.postimg.org/dfstfeutd/CAM00238.jpg

*s24.postimg.org/3z7lmj0ch/CAM00239.jpg

Attachments

• CAM00230.jpg
    CAM00230.jpg
    201.6 KB · Views: 181
  • CAM00232.jpg
    CAM00232.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 198
Last edited:
OP
seamon

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
Here are some videos and pictures of my mod.
Listen to the roaring sound of the fans. :p

*s24.postimg.org/9flo364ch/CAM00230.jpg

*s24.postimg.org/chcgd4hhd/CAM00232.jpg

*s24.postimg.org/pf4bmq0e9/CAM00233.jpg

*s24.postimg.org/t3u0m7af5/CAM00234.jpg

*s24.postimg.org/epqmugold/CAM00235.jpg

*s24.postimg.org/5gogkcfpd/CAM00236.jpg

*s24.postimg.org/faa9aw77l/CAM00237.jpg

*s24.postimg.org/dfstfeutd/CAM00238.jpg

*s24.postimg.org/3z7lmj0ch/CAM00239.jpg

Interesting.............very interesting.

Where did you get the body of the cooler?

I did some final cosmetic touches on mine today. I added back lightening to the razer logo.

and which laptop is that again?

and where did you get those fancy LED fans?

Last edited:

Hrishi

Interesting.............very interesting.

Where did you get the body of the cooler?

I did some final cosmetic touches on mine today. I added back lightening to the razer logo.

and which laptop is that again?

I bought an el-cheapo laptop cooler from neraby shop for 300rs and then modified it.
I bought this one as its very versatile and has plenty of room for mods and fans.

The laptop is Acer Aspire V3-571G. I7/640m .

OP
seamon

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
I bought an el-cheapo laptop cooler from neraby shop for 300rs and then modified it.
I bought this one as its very versatile and has plenty of room for mods and fans.

The laptop is Acer Aspire V3-571G. I7/640m .

Where did you get those LED fans again?

Edit:- THIS IS MY IN THE ZONE POST!!

Hrishi

Where did you get those LED fans again?

Edit:- THIS IS MY IN THE ZONE POST!!

They are not led fans. I have placed two led at the end of these fans diagonally so they appear like a led fan.

Look at the picture of the rear of the cooler . You"ll find the led sticking at the back.

I managed to get the 2 pairs working. But the rest 2 pairs needs more work with connections. I will try to power them through the laptop brick itself instead of secondary adapter. Will need resistors probably.

OP
seamon

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
They are not led fans. I have placed two led at the end of these fans diagonally so they appear like a led fan.

Look at the picture of the rear of the cooler . You"ll find the led sticking at the back.

I managed to get the 2 pairs working. But the rest 2 pairs needs more work with connections. I will try to power them through the laptop brick itself instead of secondary adapter. Will need resistors probably.

Just use usb to power them like me. Grab a cheapo 50 bucks usb cable....then do cut put get.

Top Bottom