I know because I got it.
The rates are as follows:

Unlimited Plans:
150 Kbps: Rs. 750
300 Kbps: Rs. 999
600 Kbps: Rs. 1799

High Speed Plan;
2 Mbps: Rs. 750 Free Usage 4GB Additional Charges 90p/MB

Installation Charges Rs. 500 in each case.

Other features:

Wifi access Rs. 99/- per month

Well as of now I have paid the installation charges and the got the verification done. I came to know that my neighbor has already got the small antenna and the internet is working. I am expecting the connection to be activated by this weekend as they said they will take 5 days to do the connection.

It is a boon for me as in my locality wire-free is the only way to get the connection. Both myself and my neighbor have applied for the BSNL connection since the beginning of the mankind on earth but not able to get a wired BSNL connection because the the BSNL has only given connection till the previous lane of houses. :( We both know that in economy nothing beats BSNL 2Mbps for Rs. 500/-

I'll update the speed details as soon as I get the connection. Finally I will be off Airtel MO.

sam_1710

Youngling
Reliance Broadnet(Wi-Max) is the worst ISP!! . :( :mad: :mad:
im on this connection from the past 5 months and every weekend there is no connectivity.. :( the CC guys cant do anythin about it!! and now from the past 1 week the speed is just 3kbps[b/] sometimes worse.. :mad:
IMHO .. Please dont go for thi connection!! :( :(

Pat

Beyond Smart
Guys please apply your mind before making senseless posts! WiMax is a different technology and the one provided by MTNL/BSNL is different! You just cannot compare the two!

I have read positive reviews of people who are using it (atleast in Mumbai)! What I am keen to know is whether there is a complete wirefree solution possible ?

They fix an antenna in your balcony or terrace building and a cable connects the antenna to your laptop/desktop! Is it possible to get a solution without cables at all ?

Can somebody please throw a light on
"Wifi Acess - 99 per month" thing ?

OP
hailgautam

hailgautam

Youngling
Per the brochure they will install a wifi access device at a monthly rental of Rs. 99/-

I am badly in need of a internet connection and as I said there is no other alternative except for the Airtel MO at my place that is why I am forced to go for the Reliance Wimax.

sourav123

Thinking Different
I am a user of Reliance WiMAX service in Bangalore and I have been using it for last 5 months. Initially the connection was not good but the service has improved a lot recently and I get a connection everytime I log in. Also the speed is very good. I am using a 999/- 256 kbps unlimited connection while my roommate uses a 750/- 2Mbps 4GB connection.

naveen_reloaded

!! RecuZant By Birth !!
wait... !!! at all towns??????

does it really extend upto 50 KM ???

do u need any special device to get access ???

wht about in chennai ???

OP
hailgautam

hailgautam

Youngling
Today the guys from the RCom came and installed the system.

I have subscribed speed of 150 Kbps, and I am getting better speed than that at 2 speed tests on speedtest.net clocking 176 Kbps and 205 Kbps, but the upload speeds are pathetic with around 6 Kbps both the times and in a current test 1 Kbps. I also did ran the uTorrent and got nearly 16KBps (its the big B) on average download speeds, with the Gmail IMAP folders updating in the background. I guess i have to file a complaint for the upload speeds because i am not been able to update the mandatory My Profile page, and change the password as that page is not getting updated at all.

Another problem is the PoE needs UPS backup, every time it switches off it takes nearly 5-20 min to get back to normal and start working. And I was told that the PoE (Power over Ethernet) is very sensitive to voltage fluctuations. that means you really don't get instant internet as in the case of of bsnl where it used to take much less time.

they installed a reception antenna facing towards the reliance mobile towers and a PoE thingy. the engineer said the installed instruments cost 15K but i think he was bluffing. Line of sight to the reliance towers is a must it seems else the connection speed reduce drastically. fortunately I got one.

Following is the 3 test:
*www.speedtest.net/result/246354738.png

Last edited:

abhishek_del

Journeyman
don't trust reliance guys..be it in market for some days, watch it...then make a move...u wont even get to know when u got raped

iinfi

mekalodu
is this available in navi mumbai?? i dont see anything on reliance website?

wiki article *en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WiMAX
Limitations

A commonly-held misconception is that WiMAX will deliver 70 Mbit/s over 50 kilometers. In reality, WiMAX can do one or the other — operating over maximum range (50 km) increases bit error rate and thus must use a lower bitrate. Lowering the range allows a device to operate at higher bitrates.

Typically, fixed WiMAX networks have a higher-gain directional antenna installed near the client (customer) which results in greatly increased range and throughput. Mobile WiMAX networks are usually made of indoor "customer premises equipment" (CPE) such as desktop modems, laptops with integrated Mobile WiMAX or other Mobile WiMAX devices. Mobile WiMAX devices typically have an omni-directional antenna which is of lower-gain compared to directional antennas but are more portable. In practice, this means that in a line-of-sight environment with a portable Mobile WiMAX CPE, speeds of 10 Mbit/s at 10 km could be delivered. However, in urban environments they may not have line-of-sight and therefore users may only receive 10 Mbit/s over 2 km. In current deployments, throughputs are often closer to 2Mbps symmetric at 10km with fixed wimax and a high gain antenna. It is also important to consider that a throughput of 2Mbps can mean 2Mbps, symmetric simultaneously, 1Mbps symmetric or some asymmetric mix (e.g. 2Mbps downlink and 1Mbps uplink or 1.5Mbps downlink and 0.5Mbps uplink, each of which required slightly different network equipment and configurations. Higher-gain directional antennas can be used with a Mobile WiMAX network with range and throughput benefits but the obvious loss of practical mobility.

Like most wireless systems, available bandwidth is shared between users in a given radio sector, so performance could deteriorate in the case of many active users in a single sector. In practice, many users will have a range of 2-, 4-, 6-, 8-, 10- or 12 Mbit/s services and additional radio cards will be added to the base station to increase the capacity as required.

Because of this, various granular and distributed network architectures are being incorporated into WiMAX through independent development and within the 802.16j mobile multi-hop relay (MMR) task group. This includes wireless mesh, grids, network remote station repeaters which can extend networks and connect to backhaul.

iinfi

mekalodu
hailgautam said:
Another problem is the PoE needs UPS backup, every time it switches off it takes nearly 5-20 min to get back to normal and start working. And I was told that the PoE (Power over Ethernet) is very sensitive to voltage fluctuations. that means you really don't get instant internet as in the case of of bsnl where it used to take much less time.

is your upload speed corrected?????

i m planning to get rid my tata indicom connection ... it costs the same but everytime there is load-shedding in my area the connection is down even though there is a power backup for my pc at my house.
this Wi-max will keep my net on 24X7

i called those people today n they will chk feasibility in the coming week.
wat is this PoE (Power over Ethernet) thing??
how much power does it consume?? will it be in the terrace or in my house ??

can u chk the power consumption (wattage) and let me know plz.

OP
hailgautam

hailgautam

Youngling
is your upload speed corrected?????

i m planning to get rid my tata indicom connection ... it costs the same but everytime there is load-shedding in my area the connection is down even though there is a power backup for my pc at my house.
this Wi-max will keep my net on 24X7

i called those people today n they will chk feasibility in the coming week.
wat is this PoE (Power over Ethernet) thing??
how much power does it consume?? will it be in the terrace or in my house ??

can u chk the power consumption (wattage) and let me know plz.

I have not complained but yesterday the torrents were uploading at speeds upto 8KBps, so I gess the speeds are good now.

The PoE switch is located inside my house just like a Modem would do. It is in the same size as of the Tubelight Choke. I don't know how to check the consumption but I can only tell you the input ( AC 100-250vac, 50/60 Hz, 0.5A) output (DC 48V0.35A). You do the math.

*www.speedtest.net/result/247504300.png

The Mumbai results were 150 & 3

Last edited:

iinfi

mekalodu
^^

thanks yaar... i v forgotten the math reqd ;)
will chk with locals here b4 subscribing for the connection. :)

manojkreddy

Right off the assembly line
I have not complained but yesterday the torrents were uploading at speeds upto 8KBps, so I gess the speeds are good now.

The PoE switch is located inside my house just like a Modem would do. It is in the same size as of the Tubelight Choke. I don't know how to check the consumption but I can only tell you the input ( AC 100-250vac, 50/60 Hz, 0.5A) output (DC 48V0.35A). You do the math.

The Mumbai results were 150 & 3

Hi, Your location is set to Hyderabad. did Reliance Wi-Max got launched in Hyderabad? how to get a connection in Hyderabad? do you have contact numbers of some one who sells the connection?

thanks
Manoj

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom