Raspberry Pi 2 Model B versus basic Tablet for BitTorrent downloading

baiju

Ambassador of Buzz
Downloading torrents to sd card is going to make problems in the long run. I experienced data corruption and had to reinstall the OS.

OP
W

Whistler81

The One and Only
No i am not going to download into the SD. SD card is for the OS and other programs. I will be using an external powered 2TB hard drive for storing the downloads. I had to cancel the the 64 GB card and opt for a 32Gb one instead as the 64 Gb card did not come with a card adapter which is required. I was wondering could i not use a SD card directly so as to do away with the adapter. I am only going to use this SD card with the Pi.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
No i am not going to download into the SD. SD card is for the OS and other programs. I will be using an external powered 2TB hard drive for storing the downloads. I had to cancel the the 64 GB card and opt for a 32Gb one instead as the 64 Gb card did not come with a card adapter which is required. I was wondering could i not use a SD card directly so as to do away with the adapter. I am only going to use this SD card with the Pi.

Pi 2 - you can use micro sd card
Pi - with adapter

I think you ordered Pi 2.

OP
W

Whistler81

The One and Only
I ordered the PI 2 Model B will i need an adapter to fit the card in ? because the 64GB one does not come with one and i just cancelled that order.

- - - Updated - - -

I was looking at one one video on Youtube they used an adapter to fit the card in.

*www.youtube.com/watch?v=vw2nTpLFof8

I have ordered Raspberry PI 2 Model B 1GB

- - - Updated - - -

The MicroSD crad that i had initially order was Strontium Nitro 64GB 85MB/s UHS-1 Class 10. will this work with the Raspberry Pi 2 with out the adapter ?

Last edited:

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
You dont need adapter. Check the second product pic, you will see micro sd card slot on right side middle.

Amazon.in: Buy Raspberry Pi 2 - MODB - 1GB - Quad core Online at Low Prices in India | Raspberry Pi Reviews & Ratings

However, you may get a micro sd card with your pi 2 bundled with your purchase. It would have OS preinstalled.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Whistler81: Looks like you didn't do any research before going on shopping spree... :D

kumarmohit

Technomancer
Just 1 simple query to OP:

Do you access net on Wifi? Why did you not get a cheap Android One phone load a mem card and install Flud Vuze or any other torrent app on it? Same price, and a lot less headache! Obviously not for you if you use ethernet cables though!

iSLaND

Broken In
I use RPi2 as headless torrent download box and quite satisfied with it as it works flawlessly and i can control from laptop and android mobile as well.

Setup : Rpi 2 - Sandisk 16GB Class 4 Micro SD - Connected to TP LINK WR841N by ethernet cable.
Software: Pi: Raspbian (latest) - Transmission-Daemon Laptop: Putty (CLI access) - Win SCP (file transfer over wifi)
Android: Juice SSH (CLI access) and ES File explorer (file access via SFTP) - Chrome (both in Lap/Phone) for Transmission webUI

androidfreak

Broken In
I use almost the same setup but the board I use is different. It's called Banana Pro and it has some advantages over the rPi. An inbuilt Wifi module, a SATA port, gigabit ethernet port etc. The development is not as strong and active as rPi but it works for my setup. I run raspbian on it too with Transmission daemon for torrenting and samba.

For controlling from PC I use Kitty and VNC.

For controlling from Android, JuiceSSH and Gear Shift.

arijitsinha

﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿ O'RLY?
A little offtopic and a noob question, I have not used rasp pi. What happens if power cuts? does rasp pi start on its own and resume downloading once power backs? Consider my router doesnot have power backup either.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
A little offtopic and a noob question, I have not used rasp pi. What happens if power cuts? does rasp pi start on its own and resume downloading once power backs? Consider my router doesnot have power backup either.

It will restart. I have setup autologin (without username password) and startup programs (torrent downloader) to run on login..

Better to use a UPS.

OP
W

Whistler81

The One and Only
Just 1 simple query to OP:

Do you access net on Wifi? Why did you not get a cheap Android One phone load a mem card and install Flud Vuze or any other torrent app on it? Same price, and a lot less headache! Obviously not for you if you use ethernet cables though!

I have tried downloading on a phone, I currently have 284(downloading + seeding) torrents in my PC BitTorrent list now. The reason behind opting for a RPi is, every time a download completes, i have to move it to a hard drive, that becomes a headache. I have noticed data leaking and a lot of other problems with using a phone, not to mention the adds. Speeds almost never hit peeks.
I am going to plug a 2TB external to the pie and once a load is complete use RoboCopy to move the stuff to my PC for viewing. I am going to use ethernet with the RPi which is taking way too long to come. :(

- - - Updated - - -

Whistler81: Looks like you didn't do any research before going on shopping spree... :D

Actually i was doing way too much research and when i finally got to placing the order it was four in the morning and my eyes shutting down. Thankfully its all handled now. Amazon did not frown much. :)

Last edited:

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
I am going to plug a 2TB external to the pie and once a load is complete use RoboCopy to move the stuff to my PC for viewing. I am going to use ethernet with the RPi which is taking way too long to come. :(

Make sure that you power you 2TB external drive separately. Pi cannot power external hard drives.

If it's a portable drive like passport ultra then get a powered USB hub.

OP
W

Whistler81

The One and Only
I use almost the same setup but the board I use is different. It's called Banana Pro and it has some advantages over the rPi. An inbuilt Wifi module, a SATA port, gigabit ethernet port etc. The development is not as strong and active as rPi but it works for my setup. I run raspbian on it too with Transmission daemon for torrenting and samba.

For controlling from PC I use Kitty and VNC.

For controlling from Android, JuiceSSH and Gear Shift.

Banana Pro looks like an awesome product but the price is way too out of my budget. Its priced over 10,000/- on amazon right now.

- - - Updated - - -

Power is a major concern for me to right now in Bangalore there are power cuts four times a day. I got to college with my PC running come back and find its switched off. Sit down to play CS:GO, power out, come back and i find i am on a seven day ban for abandoning the match. Its pretty ****ed up. This is another reason i am switching to the RPi. I will plug it to a UPS which i think will be able to hold for one hour or so. Fortunately my internet works through powercuts so downloads will not be affected.

- - - Updated - - -
[MENTION=20614]Faun[/MENTION] ya my 2TB is externally powered. Regretted it when i bought it. Its coming to use now. :)

Nerevarine

Incarnate
If power is a concern, get a powerbank that can power both the HDD and the raspberry Pi..
I think it should work, I am not sure myself

Nerevarine

Incarnate
Can you link any where i can buy these kind of powerbank?

*www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nh11axTXQo

- - - Updated - - -

I dont think You can charge and discharge the Power Bank at the same time, for any powerbank whatsoever.. so its pointless really

Here's an official link *www.modmypi.com/raspberry-pi/accessories/power-supplies/power-bank-8000mah-5v-2a-usb-portable-power-supply-

xtr3m3

Journeyman
hey guys can evdo be connected on RASPBERRY PI 2 BMOD ??????????????????

Any 1 knows?

Please help!!

Top Bottom