Random Restart

sacank

Right off the assembly line
Problem: Random restarts
Whenever I switch on my PC, it runs for a few minutes and then the monitor display just goes blank. After a few seconds, the machine restarts. Now it could be a problem of overheating, but i checked the system, cpu fan is working fine, and I have aan antec cabinet with 120 mm fan at the back and a cooling vent right in front of the motherboard. Also my XFX graphics card has its own zalman fan-heat sink combo thats working.
Also, sometimes the PC just works fine, for 8-10 hours straight, even more. So this problem occurs at random intervals, sometimes after 2 minutes of starting the PC, sometimes 5 mins, sometimes 10 mins .. u get the point. These days on an average it occurs every 4 minutes.
Could this be a graphics card problem? Or a motherboard problem?
Please let me know why is this problem occuring.
My System Info:
Intel E6400, GIGABYTE 965P-DQ6, XFX Geforce 7600, Transcend 2 GB

forgot SMPS ???

what is the rating ? it can be the cause of the prob.

take out the unit and run other systems through it... see what turns up.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
@sacank, check the temperature of the GPU & processor from Windows using CPUID. also what PSU are you using? brand & wattage.

OP
S

sacank

forgot SMPS ???

what is the rating ? it can be the cause of the prob.

take out the unit and run other systems through it... see what turns up.

Oops ... I have Antec SmartPower 350W SMPS installed.

Will try to check it out on other systems, but here I dont have any friend's or relative's PC nearby, so will take some time finding one....

@sacank, check the temperature of the GPU & processor from Windows using CPUID. also what PSU are you using? brand & wattage.

Using CPUID, I checked the processor voltage. It fluctuated from 1.136V to 1.28V. I compared these values with ones on intel site (Intel® Core?2 Duo Processor E6400 (2M Cache, 2.13 GHz, 1066 MHz FSB) with SPEC Code(s) SL9S9, SL9T9, SL9TY, SLA97) that gives the correct operating range between 0.8500V-1.5V.
Also, the GPU temperature remained constant at 55 degrees (using NVIDIA utility).
CoreTemp showed temperature of both cores between 41C to 50C

My PSU is Antec SmartPower 350W.

Last edited:

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
how old is the PSU? the PSU is a good one but if its very old, problem maybe there. also processor voltage is ok.

OP
S

sacank

how old is the PSU? the PSU is a good one but if its very old, problem maybe there. also processor voltage is ok.

Well since I assembled the system almost 4 years back, so its around 4 yrs old ...

Atleast can I rule out it being a motherboard problem or a SMPS problem? Or is it still pretty much a shot in the dark?

Thanks Sam.Shab & arpanmukherjee1 but any help forthcoming would definitely be a boon ...

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
well maybe PSU have started showing its age. change it. you can go for FSP/Gigabyte PSU from 350-500W & will cost at max 2.5k. for your PC, FSP Saga II 350W should suffice. cost 1.5k. but try get the FSP Saga II 400W/Gigabyte 460W. its a safe bet for you.

well maybe PSU have started showing its age. change it. you can go for FSP/Gigabyte PSU from 350-500W & will cost at max 2.5k. for your PC, FSP Saga II 350W should suffice. cost 1.5k. but try get the FSP Saga II 400W/Gigabyte 460W. its a safe bet for you.

+1 for FSP saga 400W

400W is more than enough to power up ur rig...
the psu is REALLY old and must be replaced.

NOTE: i still retain my 125W PSU that came with pentium 3 8 yrs back. but it is only used to power two 120mm fans in the cabinet

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
NOTE: i still retain my 125W PSU that came with pentium 3 8 yrs back. but it is only used to power two 120mm fans in the cabinet

:shock: 125W & its working? 1 small suggestion. ship the PSU to Corsair & they'll donate you a A1200W PSU free (maybe more) cause hardly any PSU work so long. that also 125W.

:shock: 125W & its working? 1 small suggestion. ship the PSU to Corsair & they'll donate you a A1200W PSU free (maybe more) cause hardly any PSU work so long. that also 125W.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

yes it is working. the fan is all greasy and dusty but stilll......
and u know what? it's COMPAQ

OP
S

sacank

Thanks Sam.Shab, will go in for a 400W FSP Saga II SMPS.

+1 for FSP saga 400W

400W is more than enough to power up ur rig...
the psu is REALLY old and must be replaced.

Thanks Aparnmukherjee1 :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom