OP
P

Pranav19

Broken In
Can you tell me how much RAM i can put 1GB or will 2 GB stick be compatible. other minor upgrade which can be done
also which one i should go for ?
*www.flipkart.com/evm-ddr2-1-gb-pc-...AZ7Q&ref=535ef81a-2fba-4a2a-8691-ef498ed8bef0

*www.flipkart.com/transcend-ddr2-66...5EER&ref=535ef81a-2fba-4a2a-8691-ef498ed8bef0

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
Can you tell me how much RAM i can put 1GB or will 2 GB stick be compatible. other minor upgrade which can be done
also which one i should go for ?

that depends on your motherboard support.

read the mobo manual or check online by finding the mobo model no & brand :cool:

Siddharth_1

EXTREME
But then how did 2 ram sticks of diff. frequencies(400 and 800mhz) sizes(512mb and 2gb) and from diff. manufacturers(ram from diff. manufacturers not working together makes no sense) worked fine i my pc???

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
But then how did 2 ram sticks of diff. frequencies(400 and 800mhz) sizes(512mb and 2gb) and from diff. manufacturers(ram from diff. manufacturers not working together makes no sense) worked fine i my pc???

the RAM timings shud match no matter the frequency is 400 or 800Mhz.
in your case the 800Mhz RAM is working at lower frequency of 400Mhz :cool:

CyberKID

In search for Tech Gyan!
Instead of EVM (never heard of that!) go in for a Kingston one or stick to Transcend. Flipkart's got the 667 MHz Transcend sticks. Try comparing prices with that in the local market. I've found that Flipkart have prices about Rs. 100 or so higher than the local market. Better put in 2GB to be safe for atleast another year. Your system has a 32 bit OS, and 3GB will suffice. I think your system will support almost 8GB of RAM as your PC has an ATX mobo (as evident from the CPU-Z screenshots-your current RAM is in Slot #3)

the RAM timings shud match no matter the frequency is 400 or 800Mhz.
in your case the 800Mhz RAM is working at lower frequency of 400Mhz :cool:

Guys! lets not fight over different RAM's working together.
Timings doesn't matter a lot, until and unless you're an extreme overclocker. The RAM's are capable of operating at different frequencies way up till the maximum RAM frequency. The RAM sticks are required to operate at different CAS Latency timings as laid down in the specifications given by JEDEC (Joint Electron Devices Engineering Council), and the RAM sticks change their CAS timings according to their operating frequency.

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
In an ideal world they should. But in the real world there have been many reports of problems related to these things. And the OP has already explained his situation.

So there is no harm in playing safe and getting exact matches.

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
If there are more than one channel present in the board, RAM modules having different timing can be used. Otherwise, if two modules having different timings (not speed) is being used in a same channel, PC won't start at all.

CyberKID

In search for Tech Gyan!
Memory timings - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia should explain it to you better than anyone

OP
P

Pranav19

Broken In
ok.. But on flipkart they show only CAS latency as seen my cas latecy is 3-4-5. So would this ram be ok for me Transcend DDR2 1 GB PC RAM (JM667QLU-1G) | Ram | Flipkart.com .
or any other ?
Thanks

OP
P

Pranav19

Broken In
Hey guys sorry for late. Couldn't buy the ram immediately. Got 2gb Ram from flipkart today. Its smaller in size than earlier one so it cant be locked.. Had problem installing for some time but got it right in the end.. Now pc working fine.. Thanks..

CyberKID

In search for Tech Gyan!
^^heatsink.err..... the memory chips have become smaller

BTW, congrats for the purchase Pranav19.

CyberKID

In search for Tech Gyan!
^ may be this might hold true for DDR2 memory chips as well. We all know that its the enthusiast RAM modules which feature heatsinks, and the value ram's are better off without heatsinks. I haven't played with DDR2, so can't say for sure. Given that the length can't be reduced, manufacturers might have reduced the height to save on some costs.

Top Bottom