Pranav19

Broken In
Hi I have currently intel core2duo e4400 2ghz cpu 1gb ram and 1gb nvidia 210 graphics card. I recently started using windows 7 from xp so wanted to upgrade ram. After installing another 1gb the monitor does not display anything though the comp starts. What could be the problem ? The comp starts with single ram, i even tried interchaging the ram in slots still problem persists. The PC is woring fine with 1 gb ram albit slowly. What should i do ?

CyberKID

In search for Tech Gyan!
have u tried running the system with using both RAM sticks, 1 stick at a time? This could possibly help you figuring out whether your RAM sticks are good or have gone kaput.
Maybe there's a problem with the RAM slot itself(if everything else is ok).

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
RAMs are supposed to have incompatibility if not matched perfectly.

1. Are they both the same frequency?
2. Are they both from the same manufacturer?
3. There is some specification called timing or something.

Please check these. The symptoms you describe suggest incompatibility.

Siddharth_1

EXTREME
^^sling shot, this doesnt matter. I used 2 diferent types of ram in my old pc, ie. 1 x 512mb 400mhz(transcend) + 1 x 2gb 800mhz(kingston)

CyberKID

In search for Tech Gyan!
^ sling-shot's right. There might be some incompatibility. Check the RAM sticks individually using CPU-Z (Memory and SPD tabs). Even if the manufacturers aren't the same, the frequencies should match. RAM (CAS Latency) timings are not much of a hurdle unless you're using a high end overclocker's stick and another a somewhat value stick (you can also change the CAS Latency timings in BIOS in most motherboards.

@Siddharth_1: Strange! haven't heard of this. Possibly your mobo supports both DDR and DDR2 RAM's.

OP
P

Pranav19

Broken In
I had returned the new stick since it was not working. So i should check my present ram n buy another of same manufacturer and frequency ?

CyberKID

In search for Tech Gyan!
manufacturer doesn't matter a lot. check for the RAM type (DDR2 or DDR3) and frequency.

OP
P

Pranav19

Broken In
Ok . I will check when i get home and reply. It isnt some problem of mobo or anything else? Sorry i am i a noob in hardware matters

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
Ok . I will check when i get home and reply. It isnt some problem of mobo or anything else? Sorry i am i a noob in hardware matters

if its a problem of RAM slot then no RAM will work on those slots.
sometime it happens that a single slot is faulty.

if both slots r working fine then use another RAM module :cool:

CyberKID

In search for Tech Gyan!

Can't deny a possibility of a problem with the mobo itself. No need to be sorry, no one's born geek!:)

CyberKID

In search for Tech Gyan!
please post the cpu-z screen shots (Memory+SPD).
Seems to me like DDR2 667 Mhz (PC2-5300). Can't be sure unless cross checked with Max Bandwidth (which shows the Module Name and Frequency) under SPD tab of CPU-Z.

Last edited:
OP
P

Pranav19

Broken In
*i.imgur.com/pkeoe.png

*i.imgur.com/TAYGL.png
here are screenshots

How to upload photos ? lnik from dropbox not working ?. Here is direct link to the folder *www.dropbox.com/sh/mhdjgp6qazpzsza/bZAYrcTG9a

Last edited:

CyberKID

In search for Tech Gyan!
^ use imgur.com

Confirmed! it's the PC2-5300. Try getting yourself a DDR-2 667 MHz stick. Alternatively to be on the safer side, try getting a stick from one of your friends if possible, to check before buying one.

Top Bottom