RAM upgrade - will diff brands work together ?

z3r0

Broken In
I would like to add an additional 1GB DDR2 RAM to my old pc.

I currently have 2 x 1GB Corsair DDR2 RAM installed, I could not find Corsair RAM of same model in online websites :(

Question is can I buy Transcend RAM and install it, will it work together with Corsair without any problems ?

If Transcend should work, please help me with exact model number ?

My current config is as below:
Processor: Intel E8400
Mother Board: Abit IP35E
RAM: Corsair XMS2 2*1GB(800MHz) 5-5-5-12 1.90V ( TWIN2X1024-6400 ver7.3 )
Currently in Dual Channel mode

my Current RAM looks same as Buy Corsair Desktop Memory 1GB DDR2 800 MHz with heat sink CM2X1024-6400 Gadgets.in|Online Shop India

Lets say if I buy this Transcend RAM from flipkart (link below), which seems to support same latency but the voltage is less 1.8V.

Below are the spec details, though I don't understand most of it, can someone pls check and suggest whether this will work along with my existing Corsair RAM:
Features
• RoHS compliant products.
• JEDEC standard 1.8V ± 0.1V Power supply
• VDDQ=1.8V ± 0.1V
• Max clock Freq: 400MHZ; 800Mb/S/Pin.
• Posted CAS
• Programmable CAS Latency: 3,4,5
• Programmable Additive Latency :0, 1,2,3 and 4
• Write Latency (WL) = Read Latency (RL)-1
• Burst Length: 4,8(Interleave/nibble sequential)
• Programmable sequential / Interleave Burst Mode
• Bi-directional Differential Data-Strobe (Single-ended
data-strobe is an optional feature)
• Off-Chip Driver (OCD) Impedance Adjustment
• MRS cycle with address key programs.
• On Die Termination
• Refresh and Self Refresh
Average Refresh Period 7.8us at lower then TCASE 75°C
• Serial presence detect with EEPROM

*www.flipkart.com/transcend-ddr2-1-gb-pc-ram-jm800qlu-1g/p/itmd2rypbemxxc8y?pid=RAMD2RYPGZYGSFBK&otracker=from-search&srno=t_7&query=transcend+ram+ddr2&ref=b6be8c42-9f03-4a87-9934-f2364ba6bd2a

Cilus

laborare est orare
If both the Rams have same speed and cache latency, they will work together irrespective of brands.

Kingpin007

Broken In
Yes they will work together... no matter what brand or speed or anything else they have to be in different slots that matters the most i have one 213 Mhz 8 GB ram Stick and a 1Gb 133 Mhz RAM stick both work perfectly together.

Cilus

laborare est orare
Yes they will work together... no matter what brand or speed or anything else they have to be in different slots that matters the most i have one 213 Mhz 8 GB ram Stick and a 1Gb 133 Mhz RAM stick both work perfectly together.

I don't think there are any 8 GB module available running at 212 MHz.

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist

No two rams can be installed in a single slot;-) Also the cache latency matters.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member

at they are running at what speed ?

personally I've tested ram modules with different latencies and they work ok [ just had to select proper speed from bios ] but they are of same speed.

Top Bottom