ram not compatible!! URGENT PLZ....

Status
Not open for further replies.

iinfi

mekalodu
ram not compatible!! ISSUE RESOLVED

my machine is a pentium d 102GGC
BIOS shows a system bus speed of 533MHz

now i have one Trancend DDR2 RAM 512MB which is also 533 MHz. (OLD)
i bought another 1GB DDR2 RAM of Dynet 667MHz.(NEW BOUGHT TODAY)

when both are in the slot then the system property shows 896MB RAM.
when just the 512MB is connected (OLD RAM) everything works fine.

when just the new RAM 1GB is connected then it still shows 896MB and i m facing a lot of hardware issues. LAN card behaving erratically. windows explorer crashing etc.

is it bcoz the RAM is 667MHz and system bus speed is 533Mhz???

============
to add to it ... i got the 1gb RAM replaced and he gave a different piece same config.
but issue persists!!!

Last edited:

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
Right now, I can't think of a reason why you cannot use the full RAM size, but it is highly unlikely to be due to the difference in speed. When two RAM sticks of different speeds are installed together, they just both run at the speed of the slower unit. Same with system bus speed.

OP
iinfi

iinfi

mekalodu
ok i will run down to the dealer again and try getting the same brand as my previous one. transcend.

-------------
added:
transcend doesnt have 533Mhz. these days is wat my dealer says. and 667Mhz doesnt run on my system :(
Dynet seems to have a compatibility issue with my system.

Last edited:
OP
iinfi

iinfi

mekalodu
----------------
finally the problem is solved after i got a new 533Mhz 1GB RAM from the dealer.
the damn thing cost me Rs.1250 (DYNET) phew ... 3 days of running helter skelter to change a RAM

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
Glad to know your problem is solved. But I still find it hard to believe that the problem was simply due to the difference in speed. The faster RAM should have just run at the same speed as the slower one. Maybe the earlier 1GB/667 was defective. Oh well, if things are running normally now, I guess that's what matters.

OP
iinfi

iinfi

mekalodu
earlier RAM was not faulty!! we chked it on other PCs.
infact i got not one but two 667Mhz 1gb RAM from the dealer to chk on my PC.
both didnt work!! when inserted... PC wud start, but LAN card wud not get detected!!
exploer wud crash .... n wat not.
further when i was fiddling with my BIOS settings i found an option to change the speed to 667 Mhz. i did that .. but the same problem persisted ...
my lack of knowledge of h/w n networking giving me trouble time n again ...
i v gota get better..

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
earlier RAM was not faulty!! we chked it on other PCs.
infact i got not one but two 667Mhz 1gb RAM from the dealer to chk on my PC.
both didnt work!! when inserted... PC wud start, but LAN card wud not get detected!!
exploer wud crash .... n wat not.
further when i was fiddling with my BIOS settings i found an option to change the speed to 667 Mhz. i did that .. but the same problem persisted ...
OK. Let's put it down as one of the great mysteries of the universe. :) There's a limit to what we (forum members) can do to help each other from a distance. It's not the same thing as sitting down in front of a computer and trying this and that in logical sequence.
my lack of knowledge of h/w n networking giving me trouble time n again ...
i v gota get better..
That's the right spirit. The value of what I've learned (and am still learning) from trying to solve problems is incalculable.

OP
iinfi

iinfi

mekalodu
hey is this the reason??
Intel website Intel® Desktop Board D102GGC2 Features
Code:
Memory  	 Two 240-pin DDR2 SDRAM Dual Inline Memory Module (DIMM) sockets

Support for DDR2 533MHz and DDR2 400MHz DIMMs

Support for up to 2GB of system memory

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
hey is this the reason??
Intel website Intel® Desktop Board D102GGC2 Features
Code:
Memory  	 Two 240-pin DDR2 SDRAM Dual Inline Memory Module (DIMM) sockets

Support for DDR2 533MHz and DDR2 400MHz DIMMs

Support for up to 2GB of system memory
Some memory interfaces cannot use so-called double-sided memory - those that have more than 8 chips on a single stick, but the specs for your mobo seems to indicate that it does not have this limitation.

And as I said before, even if your motherboard does not support higher memory speeds, it should simply run 667 or 800 MHz memory at the highest speed it supports. That's 533 in your case. It's still a mystery. Some BIOS setting I haven't thought of yet, perhaps. I really wish we could sit down at your table and tackle the problem together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom