Ram Compatability

Status
Not open for further replies.

sg1

On a quest for knowledge!
When I purchased my latest Mobo, I was told that it would support either DDRII OR DDR (dual channel) but NOT DDR and DDRII at the same time, However after visiting AsRocks website it says that it supports DDR AND DDRII ?? Does this mean I can run both at the same time or not? :confused:

I don't want to attempt it unless it will work but if I did try it, what would be the worst that would happen? Just boot failure I would guess!!
Has anybody tried it?*farm4.static.flickr.com/3078/2285454406_e215e7b6f1.jpg
Ps: I know I've been away for a while but I hope to be spending more time online now that my little boy is better:) (so look out Gigacore!!!;) )

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
Ps: I know I've been away for a while but I hope to be spending more time online now that my little boy is better

Hello Sir, Glad to know that your son is OK :) but just a personal question, as what went wrong with the kid ??

AsRocks website it says that it supports DDR AND DDRII ?? Does this mean I can run both at the same time or not?

Sorry You cant, its iether DDR or DDR-II as both wont run at a same time :(

I don't want to attempt it unless it will work but if I did try it, what would be the worst that would happen? Just boot failure I would guess!!

Plenty of BEEEEEEPs would follow but you should not try this :lol:

OP
sg1

sg1

On a quest for knowledge!
Hello Sir, Glad to know that your son is OK :) but just a personal question, as what went wrong with the kid ??
Oh nothing too serious, he just wasn't putting on any weight since 6 weeks old and they didn't know what the problem is. He's now on a very high calorie/fatty milk product called Infatrini which is a formula to help with weight gain in young children and he seems to be responding well :) PS: thanks for asking :)

Sorry You cant, its iether DDR or DDR-II as both wont run at a same time :(
I thought that would be the case:rolleyes:

Plenty of BEEEEEEPs would follow but you should not try this :lol:
OOHH go on please :) :D

Thanks for answering my query, I should have known the answer really as I build and repair PC's quite a bit, but this was just something I had never attempted with a Hybrid Mobo before:) Still.... you learn something new everyday;)

ravi_9793

TechTin.com
DDR and DDR2 have different structure, so cant fit DDR2 RAM chip on a DDR supported motherboard, and vise versa.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
^^^ You are all confused. His board apparently has both DDR an dDDR2 slots. He's asking whether he can use one stick of DDR and one stick of DDR2 in tandem. And the answer is: No, as answered :)

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
I don't understand why Askrock advertises their motherboards in such a fashion that it confuses everyone.;)

I remember they had brought up a Hybrid motherboard which had both AGP & PCI-E support way back.Not sure what happened but nevethless people were still fascinated.By the looks of the above motherboard mentioned it seems to be one of those classic examples.

@sg1:Using 2 memory stick of different technology simultaneously is a no go.Both have different frequencies & configuration which they operate on & hence with both it won't be able to boot at all.No damage to the hardware as such.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
Actually I was thinking of using two sticks of each when I posted the question;)
Yeah... one or two.. How does is matter? Point is that you wanna use both the techonologies together. The result would be that your computer would prolly not boot at all. But you can't use them in tandem. Thats for sure :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom