Questions while setting up a VM

nisargshah95

Your Ad here
Question while setting up a Virtual Machine

Hello,
I intend to set up an XP Virtual Machine via VirtualBox on my Windows Server 2k8 host OS with 1GB RAM and 80GB space (out of which 202MB RAM (256MB max) and 7 GB space will be allocated to VM). But before that I had a question to ask -

Will I be able to create partitions on my actual hard disk from the disk partitioning software in the VM?

Last edited:
OP
nisargshah95

nisargshah95

Your Ad here
I set it up and installed the disk partitioning software but I could only partition the hard drive within the space allocated to the VM, ie, 7GB, because that's what the VM would detect after all!

Sujeet

Undead!!!
what did you think then?that you would be able to format your Host System drive. from within VM.!
VM uses Virtual HDD configured at the time of setting up VM and that VHDD is the only primary system storage available inside the VM.

Which Means You are basically Partitioning Your VHDD located on your Real HDD.

Virtual Environment doesnt allow direct Modifications on Host System Environments so you wont be able to partition your actual HDD.

I assumed you wanted to Partition a particular portion of your HDD(Read Virtual HDD) for VM so i replied in positive.

Last edited:
OP
nisargshah95

nisargshah95

Your Ad here
what did you think then?that you would be able to format your Host System drive. from within VM.!
VM uses Virtual HDD configured at the time of setting up VM and that VHDD is the only primary system storage available inside the VM.

Which Means You are basically Partitioning Your VHDD located on your Real HDD.

Virtual Environment doesnt allow direct Modifications on Host System Environments so you wont be able to partition your actual HDD.

I assumed you wanted to Partition a particular portion of your HDD(Read Virtual HDD) for VM so i replied in positive.

I thought so that I wouldn't work but still I gave it a try. Now I know it wouldn't work :)

Minion

Conversation Architect
nisargshah95,

You have installed win server 2008 for practicing purpose I guess You should have Installed Xp and create VMs for WIN 2008.

Top Bottom