Questions regarding airtel digitalTV

cute.bandar

Cyborg Agent
I am thinking of taking airtel digitaltTV with HD+ (recorder with pen drive)

1. will HD+ connection work with a SD TV ? TV upgrade will be later.
2. Can I choose SD channels pack with an HD connection ? or do I have to take HD channels ?
3. what is the exact rate for SD channel pack (mega) it says 350 on the channels pack list page and 525 on the buy now page :-?

Thanks guys

powerhoney

Cyborg Agent
I am thinking of taking airtel digitaltTV with HD+ (recorder with pen drive)

1. will HD+ connection work with a SD TV ? TV upgrade will be later.
2. Can I choose SD channels pack with an HD connection ? or do I have to take HD channels ?
3. what is the exact rate for SD channel pack (mega) it says 350 on the channels pack list page and 525 on the buy now page :-?

Thanks guys

1. Yup...
2. Yup... You can choose SD channels pack with an HD connection...
3. I have the same pack and it's 350 + taxes for me for that pack and 525+taxes in total for me since I have that pack and also the "All HD channels" pack...
:)

powerhoney

Cyborg Agent
Thanks powerhoney for that quick response! :) . I think I'll go with airtel tv.

Welcome... Though the recording part is just a gimmick... I haven't seen anyone who uses it daily!!! It's like one of those things that you use once and since the hassles and headaches are too much, just forget that you ever had that feature in the long run!!! :)

OP
cute.bandar

cute.bandar

Cyborg Agent
hassles and headaches are too much
:( I was thinking of getting this solely for the recording feature... parents could watch hindi movies, that with ads take 4 hours.
Can you please elaborate on this ? What kind of hassles are there with recording. My sister uses tatasky recorder and they never have to watch any ads, thanks to this feature. Is it any different in airtel ?

powerhoney

Cyborg Agent
:( I was thinking of getting this solely for the recording feature... parents could watch hindi movies, that with ads take 4 hours.
Can you please elaborate on this ? What kind of hassles are there with recording. My sister uses tatasky recorder and they never have to watch any ads, thanks to this feature. Is it any different in airtel ?

Oh, if it's your parents, then it's okay... :)
I was talking about hassles like while recording, you cannot watch anything else... Moreover, the recorded material can only be watched on the TV and not in the computer as they are in some proprietary format...
But, since your parents would be using it, don't think the above hassles would apply for them... :)

powerhoney

Cyborg Agent
Argh! Didn't know this, nor didn't expect this. Will have to reconsider.....thanks

Quick note for you:
1. Airtel Digital TV HD+ only has a single tuner and hence only a single channel can be watched and recorded at the same time.
2. Airtel Digital TV [HD] Recorder enables one to watch and record two different channels at a time and to also supports simultaneous multiple channels recording.

So, if you go for the HDR (Option 2 above), you'll face no such problem... :)

OP
cute.bandar

cute.bandar

Cyborg Agent
yeah I googled and came across this single tuner issue..
Is there any dth with multiple tuners for recorders with external storage (for recording) ? I guess I am asking for too much.

powerhoney

Cyborg Agent
yeah I googled and came across this single tuner issue..
Is there any dth with multiple tuners for recorders with external storage (for recording) ? I guess I am asking for too much.

I think Sun Direct + has multiple tuners and supports external storage... Check it out just to be sure!!! :)

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
Welcome... Though the recording part is just a gimmick... I haven't seen anyone who uses it daily!!! It's like one of those things that you use once and since the hassles and headaches are too much, just forget that you ever had that feature in the long run!!! :)

Really ? If your use doesn't justifies it, then it's useless, oh yeah :|

while recording, you cannot watch anything else...

Heard this for first time. I have used only Tata Sky with recording feature, and it worked flawlessly with no issue whatsoever you mentioned.

@OP- Better get Tata Sky (premium) or Videocon D2H (paisa vasool) . Both are better than all the DTH providers.

powerhoney

Cyborg Agent
Really ? If your use doesn't justifies it, then it's useless, oh yeah :|

Heard this for first time. I have used only Tata Sky with recording feature, and it worked flawlessly with no issue whatsoever you mentioned.

@OP- Better get Tata Sky (premium) or Videocon D2H (paisa vasool) . Both are better than all the DTH providers.

We were talking about services that support multiple tuners as well as external storage...
Tata Sky HD DVR has internal storage which op does not want... :)
As this is India, you get a choice with either multiple tuners or external storage but not both... This sucks but then again, beggars cannot be choosers... :-(
As for the usability of the recording feature, that's open to debate... Some love it, some hate it... :)

ithehappy

Human Spambot
Hold on, you must have at least two HD channels if you are going for the HD STB. I tried to cut all the HD channels just to test but couldn't. You won't be able to select a SD only pack on HD STB.
*dreamdth.com/Thread-Breaking-News-...2-HD-CHANNELS-now-it-s-in-new-activation-only

Last edited:

powerhoney

Cyborg Agent
Hold on, you must have at least two HD channels if you are going for the HD STB. I tried to cut all the HD channels just to test but couldn't. You won't be able to select a SD only pack on HD STB.
HD CUSTOMER MUST SUBSCRIBE 2 HD CHANNELS(now it's in new activation only)

Good find!!! +1!!! :)

Coming to the point, Airtel has goe mad!!! :evil:
To op, select some other provider... ? Hope you can live without external storage... :)
Else, go for sun direct + which is the only one I know which supports multiple tuners as well as external storage... Though Tata Sky and Videocon are better options... :razz::p

ithehappy

Human Spambot
OP has to decide, what's his priority. If external storage is then he'll have to skip AirTel and go for other providers, I don't know which one though. If picture quality and package rate is a priority then AirTel all the way (remember their CC sucks beyond tolerance). If wanna pay more for lesser HD channels but a decent CC, Tata Sky. And lastly cheapest rate, with pretty bad HD quality, Videocon is there.

Top Bottom