Questions for a Gaming Laptop

fulcrumreality

Right off the assembly line
Hey guys this is my first post after many days of searching the forum as a guest :). I have some questions I will be adding to the standard questionaire, which i have'nt found answers to yet. This is my first foray into a laptop, so please be gentle with my noob questions :)

1) What is your budget? (INR or USD)

upto 65k

2) What size & weight consideration (if any) would you prefer?

nothing less than 14" any weight

3) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
a. Like: Dell (complete cover warranty) , H.P.(cheap?)
b. Dislike: Sony (overpriced :), crappy dvd drives that r fussy in reading a slightly scratched DVD :(

4) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?

GAMING!!!!!, movies, downloads, lots of E-book reading, Word processing

5) What screen resolution(s) & type (glossy/matte) would you prefer?

What is the diff b/w glossy and matte?

6) Anything else you would like to say? (eg: local purchase, ASS,matte/glossy finish)

7) How compatible is Win 8 with games and software in the last 5 yrs. and in the last 10 yrs. when compared to win 7 prem? I have a large backlog of old games to play :)

8)Is it possible to have 2 OS's like win vista ultimate and win 8 on a Dell laptop or any laptop for that matter?

9)Does any other company have complete cover like Dell with similar after sales service capabilities?

10)To what extent will a 1 gb graphic card compare to a 2gb card of the same model? Ex. AMD 7730 1GB vs AMD 7730 2GB

11)Is it possible to play any game (FPS, RTS, Strat, Simulator) to be released in 2013-14 with low settings on a 1gb graphics card?

12)Will I get a better deal in Nehru place, Delhi compared to the online stores?

13)Can you buy additional warranty in any conventional computer store ?

14)How vital are a laptop's factory installed software to it? Can u just format a laptop and use it like u would use a desktop?

15)Is it possible to demand Win 7 pre to be installed rather than Win 8 on any laptop including Dell?

16)If a laptop is frequently mobile in a laptop bag, what are the chances of it developing hardware problems? So is it better to leave a laptop on the table without moving it much?

17)What are the chances of being sold duplicate 'maal' in a store? :)

Like I said please be gentle with my noob questions :). I stay in Delhi. I require the laptop for at least 2 yrs till i gain a permanent residence and go nuts on a pimped up Desktop :), thus I would rather spend as little as possible, but if i dont see any suitable alternative i don't mind spending a little extra. I am quite suspicious of Win 8 and the the overall longetivity of a laptop battery.

Cheers!!

Gtb93

In the zone
Answering what I probably know.
8)Is it possible to have 2 OS's like win vista ultimate and win 8 on a Dell laptop or any laptop for that matter?
Yes, you can always dual-boot.

9)Does any other company have complete cover like Dell with similar after sales service capabilities?
Dell has the BEST ASS in India, imho. HP offers decent service too. Lenovo's service isn't good(personal experience), Samsung's is catching up.

10)To what extent will a 1 gb graphic card compare to a 2gb card of the same model? Ex. AMD 7730 1GB vs AMD 7730 2GB
You will mostly find 2gb cards these days. However, it doesn't make much of a difference.

11)Is it possible to play any game (FPS, RTS, Strat, Simulator) to be released in 2013-14 with low settings on a 1gb graphics card?
Depends on which card it is. Don't just go by 1gb or 2gb. For 65k, you can choose from laptops with 7730M, 640M, 630M, 650M.
650M>7730M>640M>630M.

14)How vital are a laptop's factory installed software to it? Can u just format a laptop and use it like u would use a desktop?
It's a good practice to get rid of these softwares/bloatwares. Nothing very essential is ever there.

Like I said please be gentle with my noob questions :). I stay in Delhi. I require the laptop for at least 2 yrs till i gain a permanent residence and go nuts on a pimped up Desktop :), thus I would rather spend as little as possible, but if i dont see any suitable alternative i don't mind spending a little extra. I am quite suspicious of Win 8 and the the overall longetivity of a laptop battery.

Cheers!!

Laptops @65k budget for you would be.

Dell 15R Turbo - FHD model, i7, 8gb, 7730M 2GB.
Dell 17r Turbo - i5, 4gb, 650M DDR5 2GB
Samsung NP550p5C S03IN 0 i7, 8gb, 650M DDR3 2GB
Lenovo Z580 - i7, 8gb, 630M 2GB.

.jRay.

Youngling
Within your budget you can buy a Dell 15r turbo or a Lenovo z580

They both have similar specs but 15r has a better gpu, z580 has better speakers, awesome touchpad and keyboard, BluRay disc player, an all metal body (feels great), I bought it from Croma then upgraded it to windows 8 pro, I also got additional 2years warranty from Lenovo, I heard offer is valid upto 20th December

Ashish247

Journeyman
Hey guys this is my first post after many days of searching the forum as a guest :). I have some questions I will be adding to the standard questionaire, which i have'nt found answers to yet. This is my first foray into a laptop, so please be gentle with my noob questions :)

1) What is your budget? (INR or USD)

upto 65k

2) What size & weight consideration (if any) would you prefer?

nothing less than 14" any weight

3) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
a. Like: Dell (complete cover warranty) , H.P.(cheap?)
b. Dislike: Sony (overpriced :), crappy dvd drives that r fussy in reading a slightly scratched DVD :(

4) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?

GAMING!!!!!, movies, downloads, lots of E-book reading, Word processing

5) What screen resolution(s) & type (glossy/matte) would you prefer?

What is the diff b/w glossy and matte?

6) Anything else you would like to say? (eg: local purchase, ASS,matte/glossy finish)

7) How compatible is Win 8 with games and software in the last 5 yrs. and in the last 10 yrs. when compared to win 7 prem? I have a large backlog of old games to play :)

12)Will I get a better deal in Nehru place, Delhi compared to the online stores?

13)Can you buy additional warranty in any conventional computer store ?

15)Is it possible to demand Win 7 pre to be installed rather than Win 8 on any laptop including Dell?

16)If a laptop is frequently mobile in a laptop bag, what are the chances of it developing hardware problems? So is it better to leave a laptop on the table without moving it much?

17)What are the chances of being sold duplicate 'maal' in a store? :)

Cheers!!
7.) I have played a few games on windows 8 and all worked fine.. cant say for last 10 yrs though.. but most of them should work fine(atleast the new ones)
8.) yes
9.)afaik dell has the best ASS but HP too came up with accidental cover(not sure if its present now)
10.)for laptops with current resolutions you wont need a graphic card over 1 gb.. its only useful if resolution exceed 1080p
11.)yes
12.)dont know
13.)you can do it easily online or at any "official" store
14.)yes and its recommended to do a clean install or atleast get rid of the useless bloatware
15.)No.. if a model comes with a pre-installed windows you get it as it is. However you can costumize to an extent as in dell online store
16.)Laptops are generally meant for mobility so unless they dont get oo many shocks or bumps and you carry them properly they should work fine
17.)Depends on the place.. you wnt get any duplicate product from an official store though
above info is correct afaik any corrections are welcome :)

Last edited:
OP
F

fulcrumreality

Answering what I probably know.

Laptops @65k budget for you would be.

Dell 15R Turbo - FHD model, i7, 8gb, 7730M 2GB.
Dell 17r Turbo - i5, 4gb, 650M DDR5 2GB
Samsung NP550p5C S03IN 0 i7, 8gb, 650M DDR3 2GB
Lenovo Z580 - i7, 8gb, 630M 2GB.

11) So assuming that the card is a AMD 7730 or a GT 640 in 1GB, do you think I can run the latest games for the next one year in the lowest settings with no lag or any other display issues at all?

OP
F

fulcrumreality

Within your budget you can buy a Dell 15r turbo or a Lenovo z580

They both have similar specs but 15r has a better gpu, z580 has better speakers, awesome touchpad and keyboard, BluRay disc player, an all metal body (feels great), I bought it from Croma then upgraded it to windows 8 pro, I also got additional 2years warranty from Lenovo, I heard offer is valid upto 20th December

How much did you pay for the lenovo in total?

OP
F

fulcrumreality

7.) I have played a few games on windows 8 and all worked fine.. cant say for last 10 yrs though.. but most of them should work fine(atleast the new ones)
8.) yes
9.)afaik dell has the best ASS but HP too came up with accidental cover(not sure if its present now)
10.)for laptops with current resolutions you wont need a graphic card over 1 gb.. its only useful if resolution exceed 1080p
11.)yes
12.)dont know
13.)you can do it easily online or at any "official" store
14.)yes and its recommended to do a clean install or atleast get rid of the useless bloatware
15.)No.. if a model comes with a pre-installed windows you get it as it is. However you can costumize to an extent as in dell online store
16.)Laptops are generally meant for mobility so unless they dont get oo many shocks or bumps and you carry them properly they should work fine
17.)Depends on the place.. you wnt get any duplicate product from an official store though
above info is correct afaik any corrections are welcome :)

7) Have you tried any old software on Win 8? also do u think a machine with an older graphics card will have problems running Win 8?

OP
F

fulcrumreality

Thanks guys for all the gyan!! :)

am looking at this one closely...wat say?...

The Dell Online Store: Build Your System

Ashish247

Journeyman
7) Have you tried any old software on Win 8? also do u think a machine with an older graphics card will have problems running Win 8?

Some softwares have issues with their older versions but new versions run fine.. like hwmonitor and fraps had some issues with older versions on windows 8. And old or new graphic card is not judged by its age(as long as it is in working condition) but other features.. and windows 8 will run fine with almost anything.. requirements are not high at all. BTW do look at samsung if you dont mind a lil high temperatures and if you do not personally hate samsung

Top Bottom