question about partition on windows 7

samudragupta

Youngling
hi friends, i have never done partition before so need some clarification. i currently have C:/684gb & Recovery D:/13.7gb.
is there a need for partition? also in case i do create partitions, then on which drive should i install apps & games, on the new partition created or on C:/ drive? i have already installed some apps like vlc, kaspersky on C:/drive

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
if you are going to create a new partition make the C drive 120/160GB and allocate rest of space to the D drive.

TheHumanBot

Padawan
you are partitioning c drive then i think you will have to format/reinstall everything windows and softwares drivers etc.
i don't know if you can partition without formatting never done so no idea.
it will be advisable to give more space to c drive and do not change default path to install softwares/games in some cases if you want.

Suppose you want the following partitions:
c: (200 GB), D: (reserved for recovery, so not touching this), e: (250 GB) and F: (230 GB), follow these steps:

1. right click on "Computer" on desktop and select 'manage'.
2. Select 'Disk Management' form the left pane.
3. After disk management opens, right click on C: drive appearing in middle and select 'Shrink Volume'.
4. In 'Enter the amount of space to shrink in MB', enter the space to shrink (this many MBs will be reduced from you existing C: drive). As we are creating two new partitions of 250 + 230 = 480 GB, enter 280x1024 = 491520 MB and continue. Wait for the porcess to complete.
5. Now, there will be a space shown right to C: drive indicated as 'Unallocated space". Right click on it and select 'New simple volume'. Enter the size of first partition in MB, i.e., 250 x 1024 = 256000 MB and select NTFS as file system and continue. Wait for the process to continue.6. Similarly, right click on remaining Unallocated Space and create a new partition of desired size.
6. Thats it!

you are partitioning c drive then i think you will have to format/reinstall everything windows and softwares drivers etc.
i don't know if you can partition without formatting never done so no idea.
it will be advisable to give more space to c drive and do not change default path to install softwares/games in some cases if you want.

If C: drive is shrunk to create new partitions, then there is absolutely no need to re-format the drive.

Note: if shrinking was unsuccessful, defragment the c drive before shrinking.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
@harshilsharma63,no offense but your advice may prove to be a very bad mistake.from op's post it seems he is talking about laptop & all the laptops i have come across using windows inbuilt disk management to shrink C drive resulted in changing of entire drive from "basic" to "dynamic".

@samudragupta,use easeus partition manager home free edition to resize partitions instead of using windows disk management & also doing this may result in no more restore capability from recovery partition depending on your laptop brand.

@harshilsharma63,no offense but your advice may prove to be a very bad mistake.from op's post it seems he is talking about laptop & all the laptops i have come across using windows inbuilt disk management to shrink C drive resulted in changing of entire drive from "basic" to "dynamic".

@samudragupta,use easeus partition manager home free edition to resize partitions instead of using windows disk management & also doing this may result in no more restore capability from recovery partition depending on your laptop brand.

hmmm, I did the same thing in a friend's HP laptop, and there was no conversion to dynamic disk. Does it happen on ALL laptops?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
all the laptops i have come across do this.here is a recent example:
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/software-q/175171-help-multiple-os-installation.html

OP
samudragupta

samudragupta

Youngling

I haven't done the partition as yet... Will follow your advice... I have already used the c drive for installation of apps... Will that matter?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
i was out of town for a few days hence the late reply.using easeus should be fine even if you have installed programs in C.

@harshilsharma63,i think in laptops it is a bug in windows disk management tool which assume that if you are shrinking C drive then you will use dynamic disk or maybe because this process does not require reboot unlike resizing a basic drive partition which will require a reboot so MS made it like this.this was not a problem in xp but then in xp disk management can not resize C drive.

OP
samudragupta

samudragupta

Youngling
i was out of town for a few days hence the late reply.using easeus should be fine even if you have installed programs in C.

@harshilsharma63,i think in laptops it is a bug in windows disk management tool which assume that if you are shrinking C drive then you will use dynamic disk or maybe because this process does not require reboot unlike resizing a basic drive partition which will require a reboot so MS made it like this.this was not a problem in xp but then in xp disk management can not resize C drive.
thanks for the reply.. will do it tomorrow when i'm off work :)

Top Bottom