question about emulation of windows softwares on linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

sreevirus

Certified Nutz
well, i'm in need for an answer to a question to which i didnt give too much thought...if we install a windows software like MS Office or Adobe Photoshop et al on a linux environment using an emulator like WINE or Crossover Office, is it legal? is any law violated?
the EULA usually mentions that the software can only be installed on a single PC...but it does not mention single OS. but then again, if i am installing it, i'm installing the software and using it at two instances....
so are emulators violating any policy? or is it any loophole they r taking advantage of?? or is it perfectly ok???

comments pls :)

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
yes, if you have the license to that software on a *computer* then you can use it inside an emulator also on another operation system

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
Using WINE to run Windows software on Linux is perfectly legal as long as you own both software and dont violate any of the laws outlined in the EULA. Take the case of Microsoft Office. The EULA grants you rights to install the program on a single computer and an additional copy on a portable computer for the exclusive use of the primary user of the first copy. So the rule is pretty clear when it comes to terms of usage. As long as you install Office on a single computer, its OK, even if it means using it through WINE or Crossover Office. You would violate the EULA if you would install Office on a Windows computer and Office on a Linux machine, in which case you have to uninstall one copy. You will not violate the EULA if you install the same software on the same PC on both Windows and Linux, since you wont run two instances of the same program at the same time. Hope that clears things up a bit.

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
A total but expensive option is vmware it will allow you to install multiple windows OS in a linux machine So at any one time you can have win 98 win 2000 win Xp all running at the same time (yes resources like 1GB RAM are required) Once you have the windows OS running you can do all that you want in it its a true windows enviorment.

cryptid

Journeyman
sreevirus said:
well, i'm in need for an answer to a question to which i didnt give too much thought...if we install a windows software like MS Office or Adobe Photoshop et al on a linux environment using an emulator like WINE or Crossover Office, is it legal? is any law violated?
the EULA usually mentions that the software can only be installed on a single PC...but it does not mention single OS. but then again, if i am installing it, i'm installing the software and using it at two instances....
so are emulators violating any policy? or is it any loophole they r taking advantage of?? or is it perfectly ok???

comments pls :)
lite le yar,, who cares

cryptid

Journeyman
puja399 said:
I think WINE means WINdows Emulator.
WINE=wine is not an emulator it just makes a w32compatibility layer for Linux

actual emulators are Qemu, bochs, VMware, CrossOver office & MS Virtual PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom