Query regarding PC to laptop transfer of data

Status
Not open for further replies.

soham

In the zone
Hey guys, i recently purchased a new laptop and want to transfer the data from my 250 GB desktop HDD to my 320 GB laptop HDD. Can I do it using a simple ethernet cable? I want to avoid using external media like DVDs and pen drives as they can be quite time consuming. Please help..

Rollercoaster

-The BlacKCoaT Operative-
yes you can. connect both with one of those modem/router Ethernet cables and assign IPs to both systems. After then share folders and access on the other device

OP
soham

soham

In the zone
Actually I connect my desktop PC to BSNL gprs which allocates dynamic IP. So should I change that?

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
You can connect your PC and laptop directly with a crossover network cable without going through a router.

In some cases, assigning static IP addesses make it easier for the two computers to see each other, but it's not essential.

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
A crossover cable is one in which some of the wires are interchanged at the pins, whereas a straight-through cable has the same order of wires at each end. Look at this picture and carefully compare the colour of the wires at each RJ-45 connector.

*img158.imageshack.us/img158/3290/crossoverlancable.gif

The green-stripe wire and the orange-stripe wire are interchanged, and the green wire is interchanged with the orange wire. The other 4 wires are the same at each end.

Your local computer shop may have such a cable readymade or you can ask them to make it for you. It will take only a few minutes.

The cost will depend on the length you need. The wire itself (CAT5 cable) will cost around Rs.10 per meter and the jacks will be Rs.5 or less each. They will also have to charge you the cost of fitting the jacks. For, say, a cable of 2 or 3 metres, the cost should be Rs.100 or less. I suggest you ask the price first before ordering it.

If you have Gigabit (1000Mbps) ports on both computers, one advantage of connecting them directly is that the transfer speed will be much faster than going through the modem-router unless your router is also a gigabit model.

I get sustained transfer speeds of 40-50 MB/sec on my home gigabit network while the best that can be achieved with a 100 Mbps network is about 8 MB/sec.

OP
soham

soham

In the zone
Thanks a lot guys, what settings will I have to do in both the computers after I have connected using a crossover cable?

***NOTE: i have tried the below method with a crossover wire(and it works), never tried with router though.

1. assign same gateway on both systems
2. assign ip same as gateway on one system (it works as gateway) (192.168.1.1)
3. assign ip NOT same as the above with diff in the last value(192.168.1.2)
4. configure a workgroup on the gateway and attach to the same workgrp from other system
5. enable sharing of folders that you want to share.
6. copy it just as copy-paste

ask if any help required

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
Actually, for a simple direct connection, you don't have to assign a default gateway.

Make sure the two computers belong to the same work group. The default "WORKGROUP" given by Windows will also do.

Give the two computers different names. E.g., soham1 and soham2.

Assign 192.168.1.x to both computers, where x stands for a number, but different for the two computers.

Subnet mask to 255.255.255.0 for both computers.

If you have a third-party firewall installed (your anti-virus may include one), turn off either that or Windows firewall. Don't have both of them active as this may cause connection problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom