Queries regarding Tp-link router

roady

Digital Marketer
Hey guys,

I plan to buy a router that should be able to control the following things (at least):

content filtering
bandwidth control
mac-wise allow of internet
firewall

Basically I want to block a lot of sites and also keep control over who browses what.

I came across TP-LINK TL-WR740N 150Mbps Wireless N Router - TP-LINK: Flipkart.com

but I'm not sure if this can fulfill all the task.

Is this good enough? If not, please share some good alternatives. Also, currently I'm using Beetel Wi-Fi DSL CPE 450-BX1 (airtel) and I'm looking for a better range as well.

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
Content filtering and control can simply be done by using OpenDNS, which will be good enough for home use. Just change the DNS in router; every router has this setting.

Plus, mac block is also available in every router.

The only thing you need to worry about is bandwidth control. Say if you want to define a rule that system X shouldn't get more than 50% of the bandwidth, then this cna't be easily accomplished using even the best of the budget routers. I don't have any hands on experience of premium routers so can't say about them.

Also, ddwrt support, purportedly solves it, but again, I have no experience in it. So, at best you can go for a ddwrt supported router and exercise your luck.

kARTechnology

Sony " VA" "IO"
yea have a look at the screen shots of my tl-wdr3600 tplink
*imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/837/dvur.png
*imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/33/9rk0.png
*imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/199/h7cm.png

OP
R

roady

Digital Marketer
Also, ddwrt support, purportedly solves it, but again, I have no experience in it. So, at best you can go for a ddwrt supported router and exercise your luck.

I went through DDWRT basics but how do you find out if your router can support DDWRT?
I'm more of a techie and I'm liking the idea already. Will that router listed in the first post work with DD-WRT firmware?

kARTechnology

Sony " VA" "IO"
I went through DDWRT basics but how do you find out if your router can support DDWRT?
I'm more of a techie and I'm liking the idea already. Will that router listed in the first post work with DD-WRT firmware?

No that router would not work.
Basic router with ddwrt support is Asus rt-n13u(2.5-3k)
But nowadays it is having many issues(Wi-Fi dropping) got mine replaced 2 times by fk and then refunded

Now with tp-link wdr3600(4.5k) everything's fine

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member

Usually, if a router i has ddwrt support, manufacturer mentions it.

If not, check here- Supported Devices - DD-WRT Wiki

OP
R

roady

Digital Marketer
Usually, if a router i has ddwrt support, manufacturer mentions it.

If not, check here- Supported Devices - DD-WRT Wiki

Yep, it seems to be listed over there, supported till v4. That's fine until I read this:

*www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/TP-LINK_TL-WR740N

Limitation/Bugs

as of v4:

-LAN client cannot see each other (possibly fixed on latest build)

-No TX rate increase

-No 40Mhz channel (means no 150mbps advertised speex, capped to 20mhz which is at 72 Mbps)

I think I'll buy this one. I do require Lan-transferring-of-files but not really a big issue as of now. Thanks for your inputs guys!

kARTechnology

Sony " VA" "IO"
Yep, it seems to be listed over there, supported till v4. That's fine until I read this:

TP-LINK TL-WR740N - DD-WRT Wiki

I think I'll buy this one. I do require Lan-transferring-of-files but not really a big issue as of now. Thanks for your inputs guys!

you should confirm before buying that you will get a v4 or less...if at all you get a higher version thaen no dd-wrt

OP
R

roady

Digital Marketer
Alrite.. btw I noticed the backend more closely right now.. and I have airtel broadband connection. How do I connect my phone line with this?

tp-link-150mbps-wireless-n-400x400-imad7hneaheuhrds.jpeg

Guess i bought the wireless one.. any workaround for this? :D

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
No, you will need a modem which has a RJ11 port (the one which comes from phone line).

If you have any kind of modem lying around, you can use that.

Top Bottom