Quake 4 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yoda

Journeyman
i played without cheat codes but no way the enemies are very strong and i die soon before i reach the first level. :(

with the help of cheat codes I just gun them down like anything. I just love this game with cheat codes. :D

OP
G

gxsaurav

yahooooooooooooooooooo i got quake 4 today, atlast, the 1 DVD Edition, & all i can, it's not that good news

I installed it, everything went fine, I made an autoexec.cfg file after reading the Tweakquides, Quake 4 tweaking guide

the game loves RAM, just add as much as u can, I have 1 GB RAM, & the game still stutters at a few places, i borrowed 512 MB RAM more, so now I have 2X512 MB & 2X256 MB RAM, & everything is smooth

to reduce the stutter & ingame pause even further, extract all the pk4 files in the quake 4\q4base folder, i did it with WinRAR & although it gave me that a few files are curropt, but it still worked, if in the future there's some problem, then one can simply paste from the DVD. the final size in my case is 6.8 GB

Now the bad news, I have a Pentium 4 3 GHz system with 1.5 GB RAM, FX 5900XT with 128 MB RAM, & Forceware 81.87 drivers, but the cannot get over 26 frames at 1024X768, i m playing at 800X600, just to have frame rate upto 38~40, & a smooth gameplay, seems like my days of GeforceFX are finally over

OP
G

gxsaurav

in case u r having trouble with tha audio in the game, try using this patch

*www.openal.org/openal_webstf/OpenALwEAX.exe

OP
G

gxsaurav

just playing the game, & I can preety much that the games loves RAM, playing with 512 MB is hell, it stutters a lot, 1 GB is the sweetspot, any more higher isn't giving me any frame rate improvement, although the game will run smoother.

I check the different render paths in the game, & really the game is beautyfully made, there is no Geforce 4 MX, (NV10) path anymore, indicating that the card is no longer supported. For some reason using the cg code path is giving more performance then arb2, but at the same quality, seems like it's using nvidia specific code

here are the screenshots with different code paths, the quality for nv10 & nv20 code path is same, while best automatically choses OpenGL 1.5, arb2 path for my system

arb Open GL 1.1
*img423.imageshack.us/my.php?image=arb5tg.jpg

arb2 OpenGL 1.5
*img429.imageshack.us/my.php?image=arb29qa.jpg

cg *img391.imageshack.us/my.php?image=cg1he.jpg

nv20 DirectX 8.1
*img391.imageshack.us/my.php?image=nv204zj.jpg

screenshots taken at palying settings of 800X600 2Xq AA & Medium quality which automatically sets anistropic filtering to 2X

OP
G

gxsaurav

nikhil said:
hey since quack 3 is out now...it's time i really upgraded my systemm

quake 3 :shock: welcome to the real world, it was released 7 years ago, it's quake 4

alib_i

Cyborg Agent
I just reached the nexus core !!!!
damn .. .the game's become hard now ...
I have to re-play and re-play almost each major fight !!
it's getting harder and harder !

but the best part of the whole game was the conversion to strogg !! ( saving the spoiler to those who havent played, but it's not a big spoiler actually )
that was really scary... some naaaaaaiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice graphics

-----
alibi

OP
G

gxsaurav

nexus core, i m now a strogg, but still in data terminal security level, dmn, the AI of the stroggs is really good, this is the first game in which i have to take cover when reloading the ammo

OP
G

gxsaurav

well, here's the twist in story, Methew Cane in both his forms, i wonder, how can he manage to smile always. Images taken at 1024X768 & resampled at 640X480 for low file size

[img=*img388.imageshack.us/img388/685/human2ra.th.jpg]

[img=*img388.imageshack.us/img388/8639/strogg9xj.th.jpg]

Note : Y are the thumbnails not showing up in here

alib_i

Cyborg Agent
It's become a well know fact now .. that nexus core is THE hardest level ( its the last )
Regular gamers accept that it took them some half an hour or more to figure out how to destroy the core ..
It's my turn to figure out :)

EDIT: Thumbnails show up if do it the right way.
*img388.imageshack.us/img388/685/human2ra.th.jpg
*img388.imageshack.us/img388/8639/strogg9xj.th.jpg

Use "img"-"/img" tag .. instead of "img=.."

-----
alibi

Nemesis

Wise Old Owl
Thread title edited to read "Quake 4 Discussion." I am actually waiting for the price of the DVD version to go down. It is already down by $10 but I'll wait longer :D

Is the Special Edition available in India? If yes, then what's the price?

Major-Minor

Broken In
@Nemesis - Well I spoke to one Mr. Manoj at WWCDRom's ( the people distributing Quake 4 here) and he informed me that the Quake 4 Special/Premium DVD Edition would be launched here in Dec. IMHO, I think it would cost anywhere between 1,499 to 1,999.

OP
G

gxsaurav

all done, Quake 4 compleated Stroggs are elimineted, i really liked the ending, it's just like a movie, maybe Quake 5 will come soon, as it seems that Makron or Nexus is still left, or something is still alive

I wonder Y can't they just nuke the whole planet at all,

throughout the game, i have been taking screenshots, which explains a few things in the game, U can download them from here, 1.3 MB, RAR

The screenshots are highly compressed jpg files, so they don't show the real quality, also i enabled the fps counter, the game is real taxing on the system. The lowest frame rates i got was 7 frames in the harvester battle

alib_i

Cyborg Agent
OK .. it's decided .. you're not going to write anything in this thread again. :)
Atleast nothing about the ending ..
I've not played the last stage till now .. so dont spoil the fun for me (and others) plz.
No more discussions about the story. :p

-----
alibi

tarey_g

Hanging, since 2004..
when ur player is stroggified in quake 4 the scenes are very disturbing , not for kids , they cut ur legs pierce ur players heart with needles . then ur players head , and the scene has many other marines like ur player screaming when they all r being stroggified like u , all the flesh and screams , seems like some cheap horror hospital movie i heard in my childhood, where the doctors chopped every body part of the victim and store it into a freezer for further experiments

OP
G

gxsaurav

all of us have different graphics cards & systems here, I would like to start a quality comparision of different cards , ATI & Nvidia & DX9 & DX 8.1, simply download this save game of mine, backup your current save games, & paste these files there, then from the game, load it, take a screenshot by pressing the F12 key, use the game at 800X600 2XQ anti-allising & 2X anistropic filtering or similer on ATI cards, set the AA from advanced video settings in options & for the anistropy play the game at "medium settings", u don't have to play the game, just load & take a screenshot

*rapidshare.de/files/7725412/savegames.rar.html 800 KB, Solid RAR

Plz post the screenshot here, unaltered, just use the best compression u can find for it, to minimize the jpg size. Post your system specs & graphics card with the driver version

tarey_g

Hanging, since 2004..
@gx , the savegame u provided will give the screenshot which will not be able to explain much.

also, i double chkd b4 posting that there will be no difference in the screens taken at same settings on dx8.1 and the dx9 cards , the only difference u will experience is the heat haze effect while playing the game.so i think there is no point for such comparision

OP
G

gxsaurav

tarey

heat haze is a DX 9 only feature, i have already posted here the screenshots taken at different render paths above, everything is same except for the rendering paths, u got a Ti4200 so your card is working in DX 8.1 mode automatically, using NV20 code path

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom