PwrSply Fan Move fast - Gives grr sound & Cabinets Vibrates

Status
Not open for further replies.

quad master

In the zone
Hi All

Well i have just purchased a PC for my friend and it is giving a problem
i am not able to reach to any conclusions please assist me in what to do.

Well after sometime of starting the PC around 1 or 1+1/2 Hour Later
the Powersupply fans rotate very fast and a "Ghroooooommmmmmm"
sound comes from the cabinet and the air given out is very hot.
what exactly does this indicate.

I am really tensed what exatly is happening and causing such a sound.
But when i keep a hand pressed on the top part of the cabinet on the
portion where the powersupply is located the sound vanishes.I even
tightened all the screws of the power supply and even balanced the
cabinet using paper peices so that the cabinet is not shaky.Also if i
shutdown the PC for 4-5mins and restart thePC the sound vanishes. But
this is a temporary solution.

All you experienced guys please give me a solution to this problem
it is making my head go "Ghroooooooommmmmmmm"..Is there a defect
in the system or a electricity problem or powersupply problem.

Its hardly 2-3 Days i have purchased a PC for him.

The Configs
~~~~~~~~
Intel D915GAV + Intel 3.0 GHz Kit
Power Safe 400Watts Power Supply - Gold Plated
Transcend DDR 400Mhz 256MB Ram
Samsung 17' SyncMaster 793s
IKey PowerKey Kbd + IKey Optical Mouse
Creative Inspire 2.1 Speakers
Segate 80GB SATA
Sony DVD Writer 16x
Dlink 56Kbps Modem
Samsung Floppy Drive
Ibox Cabinet

Urgent Replies Please

grinning_devil

Cyborg Agent
:arrow: a simple test......try a different SMPS nd work around the system for 1/2 hours..u'll come to know if theres sumthing wrong with SMPS or sumthing else is fishy!!

moreover i think therez been a post regarding fan noise...search it...!! :wink: :wink:

OP
Q

quad master

In the zone
Hey grinning_devil

The post you are refering is this
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/viewtopic.phpt=11221&highlight=fan+noise

But the PC is neither a P3 nor a OLD one its barely 2-3 days old how come the Fan be having problems.

There is some other problem

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
An experienced tech sitting down with you at your table may be able to diagnose your problem in a short time, but for that same tech it's often difficult to pinpoint the problem from verbal descriptions alone.

First, you said that you purchased the computer from a friend. Are you quite sure everything's brand new ? Even if it is, there's always the possibility that you're unlucky enough to have a less than perfect component. I've had problems with a few SMPS'es that came with 'ibox' cabinets. Some went dead within a few minutes (blown 5V rectifier), with some others the fan failed within a few weeks.

Secondly, your SMPS may be fitted with a temperature-dependent fan regulator. In such a case, the fan will run at low speed until a certain temperature is reached, after which the speed will automatically increase. Even if that's the case, it should not give out a loud sound or vibrate excessively. Either the fan is faulty or it's being supplied with an abnormally high voltage.

Since you said the rattling sound can be stopped by placing a hand on the cabinet, it could be that the fan is OK, but something is a bit loose somewhere in the cabinet. This is one of those things that an experienced tech can probably isolate quickly, but difficult to diagnose from a distance. Try to determine exactly which part is vibrating.

BTW, it's normal to have hot air blown out. That's what the fan is supposed to do.

If you have some experience with a soldering iron, you could try replacing the fan. They're cheap enough.

OP
Q

quad master

In the zone
hey pimpom

u got it wrong i have purchased a system for my friend.

The power supply is not the one that comes with ibox
I have purchased the power supply seperately and its one of the best.
"Power Safe - gold plated - 230V"

currently the system is sent for analysis to a engineer and i will let you
know about the further development.

may be i should do a research on the power supply

but i want to know what you feel might be wrong.

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
quad master said:
hey pimpom

u got it wrong i have purchased a system for my friend.
Oops, I should have read your original post more carefully - I usually make it a point to do that, but I guess having had just 3 hrs sleep the night before made me sloppy. I thought you said you bought it FROM a friend. :oops:

The power supply is not the one that comes with ibox
I have purchased the power supply seperately and its one of the best.
"Power Safe - gold plated - 230V"
I mentioned my previous problems with the ibox only as an example. Didn't even see the config list where you included some 'i' products.... same excuse as above :)

currently the system is sent for analysis to a engineer and i will let you know about the further development.
Please do that. Apart from my personal curiosity, it will be helpful to others with similar problems.

may be i should do a research on the power supply
but i want to know what you feel might be wrong.
As I said before, your PSU fan is probably controlled by a temperature-sensitive speed regulator. The high speed you described could be perfectly normal after the temp has reached a preset level. The rattling could be because some screw or rivet is slightly loose. iboxes have a nice finish but they do use rather thin-gauge sheet metal.

Do you have proper airflow paths both inside and outside the cabinet ? That will ensure that there's no excessive climb in temperature.

OP
Q

quad master

In the zone
ya i just checked out every thing the air flow is proper no probs with
that , still waiting for what that engineer has to say.

Well i am still waiting for more conclusions from more people out here

OP
Q

quad master

In the zone
my engineer just reported me

the solution is that some of the screws were loose and they were tightened
and now the probs being solved no more vibrations

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
quad master said:
the solution is that some of the screws were loose and they were tightened and now the probs being solved no more vibrations
Now would be the time for me to say 'I told you so'..... Just kidding :) Glad to hear the problem's solved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom