PSU RAM & other component selection inputs for Haswell setup

bluerage

Right off the assembly line
Hi friends,

In the process of configuring a PC for home use, I have picked up an Intel I7-4770K processor , DH87RL Mother board & a 256 GB 520 series SSD in a recent offer.

Would like your advice on what PSU, RAM (DDR 1600 MHZ) & Cabinet(Micro ATX form factor) to choose to compliment my purchase / work best with the MB,processor combo.

I use the PC for Media (HD Videos), Gaming (Assassins Creed, Racing games, FPS shooters) & Image processing (Photoshop CS6, Light room, DPP)

RAM: I want to go for a 8GB ram now and add another 8 GB a bit later on. Do i go for an 1X8 GB and add another one later or do i need to put a 2x4 GB for better consistency?
I have chosen Corsair vengeance, kindly advice if i need to look at other brands for my requirements.
Budget: (4.5-5.5k)

PSU: Do i need to go for a 500/ 600 /700 W PSU? if yes than which one? (I need Haswell compatible PSUs)
Brands: Cooler Master or Corsair
Went through the below link, need advice on which series(Corsair GX,VX,TX) and what wattage i need to go in for?
AnandTech | Sea Sonic and Corsair Power Supplies Certified for Haswell
Budget (5-7k)

Cabinet: Need 3-4 ports in the front, which is the best one to go in for now in terms of aesthetics, VFM? Want to know about dust filtering capabilities, how many fans i need to add. The place where i am setting up the desktop has no ventilation from windows,

Would be going for a Radeon graphic card in the future. Have chosen a Dell S2240L monitor, WD Caviar Green 2 TB Desktop Internal Hard Drive (WD20EZRX) HDD.

This is my first post here, kindly excuse any mistakes, looking for your advice
Please help

Regards,
Dilip

Last edited:

rakesh_ic

Cyborg Agent
Use the standard template provided here - *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/pc-components-configurations/149943-pc-build-questionnaire-template.htmll

OP
B

bluerage

^^ Since my queries are limited to RAM, PSU & Cabinet the full questionnaire does not apply

1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans: Media (HD Videos), Gaming (Assassins Creed, Racing games i.e NFS, FPS shooters) & Image processing (Photoshop CS6, Light room, DPP)

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans: RAM(4.5 - 5.5k), PSU(5-7k) open to upgrade options depending upon suggestions.

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: Not now.

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: Win 7

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans:Already planned 2 TB WD, 256 GB SSD Intel

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans: Already planned Dell S2240L

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans:N/A

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans:Now

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans:Yes.

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans:Bangalore, Buying through FK, yes

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: Details in 1st post

OP
B

bluerage

Guys need your quick inputs as i need to order.

RAM: (DDR-3,1600 MHZ)
Shortlisted on
1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) PC RAM (CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9R)
2) G.Skill RipjawsX DDR3 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) PC RAM (F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL)

Is 8 GB ok for the kind of usage i have mentioned or is it better to invest in a 16GB ?

PSU: (Usage looking at 600-800 Watts, as i would be going for a graphics card later on)
Please advice on the PSU, i read a few threads and understood Seasonic is one of the top runners considering its an OEM to Corsair. What would need for the Haswell setup as im unable to identify Seasonics compatible one or Should i finalize on Corsair TX-750?

rakesh_ic

Cyborg Agent
Go for Corsair Tx650V2. It should serve the purpose (No need for a Tx750).

Pickup gskill ripjaws instead of vengeance as vengeance occupy slightly more room coz of an elevated heatsink

ankush28

Bazinga
ram - g.skill ripjaws 2*4 GB is enough for your work
psu - seasonic s12 ll 620 watt
which graphic card you are planning to use??

OP
B

bluerage

Go for Corsair Tx650V2. It should serve the purpose (No need for a Tx750).

Pickup gskill ripjaws instead of vengeance as vengeance occupy slightly more room coz of an elevated heatsink

Thanks. What is the difference in V2 version ? Was only able to find TX650 and TX650-M

Which do i need to buy?

ram - g.skill ripjaws 2*4 GB is enough for your work
psu - seasonic s12 ll 620 watt
which graphic card you are planning to use??

Thanks , It seems the Seasonic mentioned is not compatible with Haswell

I plan to use the integrated graphics now, next stage upgrade would be a Sapphire HD 78XX or 79XX series

Would i need a 1.1 kva or a 800 va UPS for this setup?

Last edited:

rakesh_ic

Cyborg Agent
The latest version available in market for Tx650 is the V2 version. if you are not finding it locally, check online. Go for the version 2 and not the old one.

There is not much of a difference apart from the caps i guess. But v2 is the latest and so go for it.

Tx650M is a semi modular version of Tx650.

Thanks. What is the difference in V2 version ? Was only able to find TX650 and TX650-M

Which do i need to buy?

Thanks , It seems the Seasonic mentioned is not compatible with Haswell

I plan to use the integrated graphics now, next stage upgrade would be a Sapphire HD 78XX or 79XX series

Would i need a 1.1 kva or a 800 va UPS for this setup?

For UPS, the most reliable company is APC. But APC now no longer manufacturers 800 VA UPS. So, 1.1 kVA is the only choice.

OP
B

bluerage

Is the one sold by flipkart in the below link a v2? Please confirm

Corsair CMPSU-650TX 650 Watts PSU - Corsair: Flipkart.com

Top Bottom