PSU Query

sid_sh85

EXPLORING!!!!!
Hi guys..I bought my parents a decent config comprising of AMD X4 640_GIGABYTE 880GM-UD2H_4GBDDR3_HDD 500+250GB_CM ELITE 310
Now i decided to plug in my old VIP GOLD 500w SMPS...But the MOBO Demands a 8 pin connector against the VIP`s 4pin..
So Can u guys suggest a decent PSU Under 2.5-3k
In the pipeline could be a not-more-than 6k GPU at the best
based on the threads here i zeroed in on FSP Saga II 500W @ 2.5k
Pls advise

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
Actually u can use 4pin on 8pin. I use. 8pin is for high end procys. But yes change psu. Saga II 500W is very good choice.

funkysourav

What The.... !!!
FSP Saga II 500w is good enough for any sub 6k gpu out there

however you can go for Corsair CX400 too at that price
(build quality is much better, better power output quality than FSP SAGA II)

Cool Buddy

Wise Old Owl
Actually based on recent review, FSP 500w is a better choice than CX400.
I would say you should get a PSU as the proccy is 95w TDP and it is better to use an 8 pin connector
If you don't plan on adding a gfx card later on you can make do with 350w or 400w PSU from FSP. Why spend unnecessarily. (although I'm not sure if all of them will have an 8 pin connector, but they should)

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
Corsair psu's have amazing build quailty though. Though i have never seen an fsp psu, cannot comment on its build quality.

funkysourav

What The.... !!!
Actually based on recent review, FSP 500w is a better choice than CX400.
I would say you should get a PSU as the proccy is 95w TDP and it is better to use an 8 pin connector
If you don't plan on adding a gfx card later on you can make do with 350w or 400w PSU from FSP. Why spend unnecessarily. (although I'm not sure if all of them will have an 8 pin connector, but they should)
which review?
please PM me the link :)

funkysourav

What The.... !!!
but none of them had the FSP SAGA II on their test setup

the Tomshardware links you put up for sub 75$ PSU reviews were inconclusive to say the least
though they did delve into the Max Power draw and Efficiency levels
they said not a word about PSU build quality
and did not even bother to test the Ripple Factor, which determines the quality of power being supplied by the PSU to the peripherals
The power quality is a vry important factor for the longevity of the PSU and the peripherals it is connected with

i am beginning to feel that anandtech reviews are more detailed and unbiased than tomshardware is
also when someone asked at Jonnyguru forums they didn't even delve into the drama between CX400 and Saga II 500 Fsp Saga II 350 or CX430
they plain and simple ignored FSP as non-existant and recommended CX400 hands down
one user even went to the extent of remarking that comparing between the two brands is like comparing the Best and the Mediocre

Also FSP SAGA II is virtually non-existant in the reviewer's world
much unlike Seasonic or Corsair whose reviews and accolades are dime a dozen, which forces us to make our decisions likewise

its one thing to read reviews and come to a theoretical conclusion
and its another to understand the actual mechanics at work :)

Last edited:

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
saurav see many use fsp here without problems.

and i say put a link to show fsp quality is bad. not people posts. but link. review. and i am talking of saga II links.

funkysourav

What The.... !!!
well that's the thing na
not many people have reviewed FSP
even if they have they are inconclusive at best

i can't even show you a bunch of people who have used FSP for some time
since it is practically a new untested entrant in our markets

CX400 ripple levels
300W to 450W: 20 Power Supplies on the Test Bench - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News

FSP Blue StormII 400w ripple levels
300W to 450W: 20 Power Supplies on the Test Bench - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News

note that ripple levels near and above 64mV are dangerous and fatal to your components
the lower the better

these are FSP Blue Storm II series which are supposed to be FSP's mid-high end PSUs(as opposed to the low end SAGA II series)
and were available at same price point as corsair CX400

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
No. Current is blue storm pro. Search for it then if u want.

---------- Post added at 08:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:38 PM ----------

Fsp is oem from past 1993 buddy :)

again i mention some of the great psus like cm silent pro, silverstone, xigmatek AFAIK are made by them.

---------- Post added at 08:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:41 PM ----------

And the allowed max ripple is 120mv afaik :)

---------- Post added at 09:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:58 PM ----------

Lets wait for fsp aurum to give more current clear picture and not those 2006 2008 reviews.

funkysourav

What The.... !!!
Okay instead of bashing a PSU company
ithink we should wait for op to respond with his criterions and thoughts

@mods
we should open a strictly "Hardware discussion thread" where x vs y wars may continue

@Jaskanwar
we shouldn't keep littering on op's thread
and confusing him in the process
let's move this discussion elsewhere
what say? :D

funkysourav

What The.... !!!
@op
get the FSP saga II 500w or Corsair CX400
i don't thing you'll go wrong with either
considering you will use a sub 6k GPU

OP
sid_sh85

sid_sh85

EXPLORING!!!!!
HEY GUYS!!!...Sorry for the late reply...My net was down for 2 days...BTW, After careful consideration of the above war & views, and also after considering some reviews in other posts, I`ve finally placed an order for FSP SAGA 500W @ 2.5k @ PrimeABGB
Thanks a ton for your war-help..It helped me make a quick decision :)
THANKS

Top Bottom