[PROJECT] Anybody having experience in Linux from Scratch?

OP
ratul

ratul

█████████████████
ok guys, finally i have completed the build with a minimal GUI, used XFCE desktop environment, and took 20-25hrs after the LFS Command prompt build was complete (the previous one), max time was took by the debugging of errors and repairing them.. :evil:

Firstly, compiled and build the X-Windows System (X-org) for the minimalistic GUI:
*i.imgur.com/G82itxO.png​

Next compiled and build the XFCE for a desktop environment:
*i.imgur.com/0J9qkxk.png​

Shah

Cyborg Agent
@Ratul: Good job! Can you write a tutorial of each step you did in developing your distro, right from the starting? It will be helpful for others too.

OP
ratul

ratul

█████████████████
@Ratul: Good job! Can you write a tutorial of each step you did in developing your distro, right from the starting? It will be helpful for others too.

whole tutorial?? :shock: that would be like more than 300 pages.. :p
btw, all the info and tuts are found here: Welcome to Linux From Scratch!

TheSloth

The Slowest One
Now days i am studying OS as it is in my MCA course. Its very hard to imagine like writing code for managing threads. I want to start something like this, but understanding simple things are taking time for me, writing code for OS is impossible for now. From where to start. I am going to download books form LFS website. Let's see

OP
ratul

ratul

█████████████████
Now days i am studying OS as it is in my MCA course. Its very hard to imagine like writing code for managing threads. I want to start something like this, but understanding simple things are taking time for me, writing code for OS is impossible for now. From where to start. I am going to download books form LFS website. Let's see

there's no code usage in this, all you need to know is how to compile the packages, which is well presented in the book... :twisted:

OP
ratul

ratul

█████████████████
thanks ratul. I saw the book, there's alot alot alot alot to read. It will take lot of time :(

yes, but it's a good thing, everything is given in such a detail, that building a Linux distro does'nt seem to be that hard after going through the book once, the content of the book is quite good and informative.. :wink::-D

OP
ratul

ratul

█████████████████
you gone through all books given there?

no, only the LFS and BLFS one's, LFS book needs to be completed in order to build the basic system, and BLFS helps to add utilities to it (GUI, browsers, security, multimedia etc.)..

Top Bottom