[PROJECT] Anybody having experience in Linux from Scratch?

ratul

█████████████████
Ok, so for B.tech final sem project, me and my friend chose to make an OS using Linux from Scratch, but he does'nt have any experience in linux, and what i have is just a basic set of commands, so i am working on it, and currently making my linux concepts clear before proceeding..
We have alot of time (whole sem till may), so i know we'll do it, but after reading the LFS book, i have certain doubts about it, it looks way more complicated than what i thought it would be...
Anyone here having any experience with LFS??? Please share it, and how to begin building the system, which distro will be the best choice to start working with LFS?

doomgiver

Warframe
well, i made a distro from scratch for my major project last sem.

i did the work, and the other 2 nubs slacked off. needless to say, they didnt manage good grades.

one thing to keep in mind : are your teachers aware of what a Open Source project is? one of my panel members in the final presentation was playing angry birds while i was giving the presentation.

OP
ratul

ratul

█████████████████
well, i made a distro from scratch for my major project last sem.

i did the work, and the other 2 nubs slacked off. needless to say, they didnt manage good grades.

one thing to keep in mind : are your teachers aware of what a Open Source project is? one of my panel members in the final presentation was playing angry birds while i was giving the presentation.

yes, my teachers are sorta "aware" of open source project, but i don't see anyone of them capable of even installing linux, forget about working on it... :p
but that's the norm these days i think, even my friends in big universities (DTU, Amity) complaints of low quality of teachers.. :twisted:
btw, how much time it took you to develop that distro? and how you started, which distro you selected as the base???

doomgiver

Warframe
took a couple of months, mostly debugging and finding new stuff to toss into the project to make it "viable". teachers were not satified with just the os, thye wanteded every effing thing along with that.

started out with a slackware base, then abandoned it in favor of arch. reason? im more used to arch, and AUR :)

OP
ratul

ratul

█████████████████
took a couple of months, mostly debugging and finding new stuff to toss into the project to make it "viable". teachers were not satified with just the os, thye wanteded every effing thing along with that.

started out with a slackware base, then abandoned it in favor of arch. reason? im more used to arch, and AUR :)

i can definitely say those teachers thought of windows like OS when you said you were making an OS, coz that was the case with me when one of my teachers said: "Isme start menu wagarah accha dena.. :p"... haha, i had to convince them that it would be a very basic linux distro,, :p

btw, yeah, arch is really good, and can you tell what helped you in debugging and all, what i have now is just this LFS Book to start with, does this have enough info or any other resources are needed.. (Google is always there, but if you have some specific sources, it would be better.. :oops:)

doomgiver

Warframe
hmm, basically i compiled a distro that was tailored for the hardware running on my college computers.
it was meant as a replacement for the old and slow windows xp.

then we added eye-candy, applications, some tweaks to make it boot faster(this one was important) and finally, booted it off a pen drive, so that it'd be portable.

as for resources, what exactly are you going to do?

for debugging, there were some problems with what w had done (full disk encryption, and some custom scripting i had written) that wouldnt run if the other was present. so, mostly compatiblity problems.

OP
ratul

ratul

█████████████████
hmm, basically i compiled a distro that was tailored for the hardware running on my college computers.
it was meant as a replacement for the old and slow windows xp.

then we added eye-candy, applications, some tweaks to make it boot faster(this one was important) and finally, booted it off a pen drive, so that it'd be portable.

as for resources, what exactly are you going to do?

for debugging, there were some problems with what w had done (full disk encryption, and some custom scripting i had written) that wouldnt run if the other was present. so, mostly compatiblity problems.

ok, so i still have to learn much before i begin with it.. :p
from your point of view, how much you think i need to study before starting building Linux from scratch..
means, that how much should i know before starting, now what i know are just a set of basic commands, managing directories and users, samba, yum servers, and editing boot and config files, that is some basic stuff only, do i have to master linux before starting??

doomgiver

Warframe
er, quite a lot :)

you dont need to "master" linux.

you just need enough knowledge to put together a working distro.
you need a base, decide on one and stick to it.

you should be aware of how stuff works in linux, that config settings are stored and edited via files, and your entire OS behaviour can be changed just by writing some code.

OP
ratul

ratul

█████████████████
er, quite a lot :)

you dont need to "master" linux.

you just need enough knowledge to put together a working distro.
you need a base, decide on one and stick to it.

you should be aware of how stuff works in linux, that config settings are stored and edited via files, and your entire OS behaviour can be changed just by writing some code.

ok, so i still need to work more before starting, thanks for your kind help..
one more question, does creating distro from scratch need me to know scripting, like Bash Shell Scripting, or creating Python scripts, or C programming??

TheSloth

The Slowest One
very nice guys. Seems to be interesting. I too want to learn this. Currently struggling in linux to connect to wifi but want to learn.
@ratul: if you don't mind then tell me from where you started, how much finished and what should be the approach to solve problems.

OP
ratul

ratul

█████████████████
very nice guys. Seems to be interesting. I too want to learn this. Currently struggling in linux to connect to wifi but want to learn.
@ratul: if you don't mind then tell me from where you started, how much finished and what should be the approach to solve problems.

well, the commands and some servers were taught to me in my Networking Security course, but that was all too unfinished, as they just started telling all that without properly introducing linux to us..
Currently i have RHEL 6.3 installed in VM, and is following the CBT Nuggets linux Video tutorials, you can get them here..
These tuts use RHEL, so i am currently hooked to redhat..
The tuts are old though (2002), but works good to set the basics, and covers even the advanced linux course, with Shell scripting and all the topics for RHCE examinations, and have got really good reviews from many..
Acc to their course, i have completed till User administration, and is almost in the midway for the basic vids...

doomgiver

Warframe
bash scripting is not *required*, per se, but can be useful in sticky situations, where you might want to "hack" together a working system (eg, script that runs a startup process to do something, and adding this script to the global startup script).

TheSloth

The Slowest One
I have no idea what you guys are talking about but as soon as my exam get over i will start learning about these things. Thank you @ratul. Keep informing how you created your own linux.

OP
ratul

ratul

█████████████████
bash scripting is not *required*, per se, but can be useful in sticky situations, where you might want to "hack" together a working system (eg, script that runs a startup process to do something, and adding this script to the global startup script).

ok, so some time is saved for me then.. :p
thanks for your help, you have given me a very good moral boost from your guidance.. :razz:

I have no idea what you guys are talking about but as soon as my exam get over i will start learning about these things. Thank you @ratul. Keep informing how you created your own linux.

hehe, don't worry once you'll start using linux, you'll understand all these concepts..
i'll keep you informed, but i think it'd still take me a couple of months before i know enough about linux to start working in building a distro, but once i start, i'll keep you informed..

Anish

Spectre
@ratul : but knowing bash scripting / perl would save you a lot of time. Just learn the basics. I think perl would do. Its easy enough to grasp.

OP
ratul

ratul

█████████████████
@ratul : but knowing bash scripting / perl would save you a lot of time. Just learn the basics. I think perl would do. Its easy enough to grasp.

:|, oh, so the basics are covered in CBT nuggets, i'll get bash scripting from there, but won't python do instead of perl???
i attended a python basic course from coursera.org, so i know very basic of it, do i have to learn perl too??

Anish

Spectre
:|, oh, so the basics are covered in CBT nuggets, i'll get bash scripting from there, but won't python do instead of perl???
i attended a python basic course from coursera.org, so i know very basic of it, do i have to learn perl too??

No need. Knowing any one is enough. Atleast for arch. I am using arch and bash/perl would do.

OP
ratul

ratul

█████████████████
GOOD NEWS: I have finally completed building my distro with LFS.. :hyper:..
Here's the login page screenshot:
*i.imgur.com/BaE6JIL.png​
I started building it 5 days ago with my partner, and just half hour ago, i successfully booted into the system... :mrgreen:.
It was slightly frustrating at times, but the whole process was enjoyable and very informative, really learned about linux alot during this process..
First two days were out, and we were'nt able to find a good distro to start (most of them had missing packages needed for LFS, and we could'nt download them as internet was not accessible to VMWare), finally found Slackware 14.0 x64, it had all the packages needed and provided a very good platform to start...
Rest was just following the instruction, some debugging, troubleshooting and now, it's built.. :razz:

Top Bottom