Processor suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

aquafusion

Journeyman
I was planning to get my old PC upgraded, and wanted suggestions regarding second hand processors.
Which one is better for gaming and cpu intensive applications.
E4300 or P4 3.2 Ghz

also E4300 is a core 2 duo proccy right ?

Which will give better performance at stock speeds.
Also will E4300 become a bottleneck for 8 and 9 series graphic cards?

And which is the best among the three proccys listed below.

AMD 3600+ socket AM+
P4 3.2 Ghz
Intel E4300

All at stock speed, rate each of them.

Whats your current configuration and how much money do you have ?

Just for the reference, P4 3.2GHz is roughly equal in performance to 3600+, while E4300 is OVER DOUBLE their performance.

OP
A

aquafusion

Journeyman
i am planning to buy a E4300 around 2k while at the same time someone is selling a 3.2 ghz p4, so i thought why not upgrade my old p4 1.6 ghz.
I already have one AMD AM+ 3600+ ~1.9 ghz cpu....
So do I assume that E4300 is the best , then second is 3600+ and then 3.2 ghz proccy, at stock speeds.

Also E4300 will give me better frame rates for games than the AM+ 3600+ proccy right ???

NVIDIAGeek

Long Live Gojira!
so does that mean 8800 and 9 series cards will be able to show full potential with E4300 ? at stock speed.

Not 8800 & 9800, but 8600 & 9600. E4300 is not a bottleneck for casual use. What's the purpose of your PC? Gaming? Then, E4300 might not be the best choice, If you can up budget, then E7200 is a best choice. As MetalheadGautham said, what's your budget???

OP
A

aquafusion

Journeyman
I want to keep my budget low as i'm opting for a second hand PC, I would use it for gaming on LAN as I have another computer....Now since there are E4300 and 3.2 ghz proccys on sale, i may purchase one and replace 1.6 ghz proccy at home...So my budget could got to 3k max.

and nvidiageek , and yeah purpose of PC is gaming, I would like to play games like undercover, pop 2008, ut latest, crysis, bioshock , etc on the PC...also do you say that 8800 will be a bottle neck for E4300 ???

Don't upgrade your Pentium 4 1.6GHz. Its not worth it.

And AMD AM+ 3600+ CPU, thats fine as it is.

First tell me HOW you intend to use E4300. Do you have an LGA 775 motherboard to fit it ?

And please post your full configurations. Using CPU-Z from *cpuid.com/cpuz.php you can know your exact hardware.

OP
A

aquafusion

Journeyman
I intend to use E4300 at stock speeds unless overclocking is necessary, also can you tell me how much can you overclock E4300 at stock heatsink , yeah I will be getting a LGA 775 motherboard from a friend soon,
Which configurations do you require ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom