Processor fan not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

godsownman

Padawan
Hello,

Since this morning, Ive noticed that my processor fan isnt working.

Can somebody please giude me with what is to be done.

I know that I without the fan the processor can get ruined but right now, I am externally cooling it (processor) with a table fan and it seems to be working. I am keeping the durations also short.Is it possible to keep the fan n heatsink out and then run the computer? So that it cools better?

My Config is : Intel Pentium III Processor with a Intel 810 motherboard.

I need your help ,

Tomorrow Morning Im going to go to the market to look out for a new fan.

What all do I need to do there in order to identify the correct one that will exactly match my Piii , motheboard and heatsink.

Please giude me exactly with whatever advice you all may be having. I dont even know what questions I should ask.

Thanks a lot.

Tech Geek

Wise Old Owl
U need a 230 watt power supply

Last edited:

satyamy

Alive Again...
just take ur old fan to market show them & get a same new one
also take ur headsink & verify that it suits ur New Fan

OP
godsownman

godsownman

Padawan
Tech Geek said:
U need a 230 watt power supply

Hey,

Im talking about a processor fan!, where do I need a 230 watt power supply:confused:
???? .

Looks like someone was day dreaming:D

SOME MORE QUESTIONS

Anyidea what would be the price of the fan approximately.

Also Do I have to apply the thermal paste again?

DukeNukem

Come get Some
godsownman said:
Anyidea what would be the price of the fan approximately.

Is it a cased CPU????? (one which is slotted in like ram)

Though Processor Fans dont come alone (They will tell you this)
you'll get it for about 150 (both fan and heat sink (local made))

else

buy the fan alone by taking your fan to them it will cost about Rs.40-70

godsownman said:
Also Do I have to apply the thermal paste again?

If it require removing the heat sink THEN YES

sysfilez

Welcome To The Jungle
hey friend its recommended that when u remove the heat sink then apply fresh thermal paste after cleaning the surface. i think u sud do that if u r ocing or something. as per cpu fan it will cost somewat 50/-. it will be better if u carry the heatsink and fan along with u when u go to the market.

samrulez

Cyborg Agent
Try cleaning the fan with a brush...and if it still dosen't work.....try the terminals....and if all this is in vain...then get a new fan from Lamington Rd..........it should cost you about ~500 bucks

OP
godsownman

godsownman

Padawan
Is it a cased CPU????? (one which is slotted in like ram)

No its a normal chip based processor.

The basic thing I've got to remember while purchasing this is that it clips on to the clips provided on the processor foundation, right?

About the Thermal paste, how is this thing sold, coz I only need a small blob! n its never going to be used again after that.Touchwood :)

Anyway thanks guys for all the help.I'll make my trip this evening .

Adios.

Eazy

Journeyman
Check this page for fan maintenance .... oiling of the fan....

*www.dansdata.com/fanmaint.htm

Redshary

Broken In
Just a thought...it may not be applicable. The fan on the processor does not normally come on until it reaches a critical temperature. load your system and see if it runs, if not go ahead and buy a fan. cheers.

samrulez

Cyborg Agent
Well thermal paste will be available at most of the shops at Lamington Road.........branded tubes cost 350+.....or even 450-500 buck ......

Local paste are also available they cost about 50-100 bucks..

OP
godsownman

godsownman

Padawan
Redshary said:
Just a thought...it may not be applicable. The fan on the processor does not normally come on until it reaches a critical temperature. load your system and see if it runs, if not go ahead and buy a fan. cheers.

No ur mistaken, the fan starts the minute you power on the computer until you power it down.

Anyway, Guys thanks a lot. I got a new fan from Lamington Road today, fitted it too n everythings fine,touchwood.

I got a small sachet (enough to last a single use) of thermal paste with the fan in the box.

Thanks once again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom