Processor and Motherboard for work PC?

NaifAmoodi

Broken In
1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans: Adobe Photoshop, Dreamweaver (CS5 or latter), occasional OS virtualisation

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans: 15k give or take

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: No

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: Windows 7 Ultimate

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans: 1 TB

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans: Already purchased Dell ST2220L, 21.5" - 1920x1080

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: Monitor and UPS

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: This month or beginning of next month

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: This will be done by an assembler

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: Hyderabad, and yes most probably I'll be buying it locally.

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: No

Ok, that was the Questionnaire Template. Here is the situation. I have already decided the following components:

Corsair 2x2GB DDR3 1333 MHz
Seagate 1 TB
ASUS SATA DVD-Writer
FSP Saga II 500W
Cooler Master Elite 343
Microsoft Combo

What I can't decide is the processor and motherboard I should go with. Deciding the processor seems to be the primary problem at the moment.

The system is going to be used mainly for work related use (web design and development) and applications that will be used mostly include Photoshop and Dreamweaver.

I don't know if I should go for Intel Pentium G620, Intel Core i3 2100 or for an AMD processor? How do those two Intel processors compare to their AMD counterparts?

And are core and threads going to be useful for my usage?

OP
N

NaifAmoodi

Broken In
Hi,

I meant 15k is my total budget including the following:

Seagate 1 TB
ASUS SATA DVD-Writer
FSP Saga II 500W
Cooler Master Elite 343
Microsoft Combo

So that leaves only 5.5k for the processor and motherboard :) Lets round that up to 6k. Like I said, I can increase the budget a little if needed.

i5 2400 @ Rs.11030
GIGABYTE GA-H61M-D2-B3 Rs. 3450
total 14480
hope that helped ;)

avinandan012

Cyborg Agent
you need to increase your budget to at least (12K+)for processor+mobo cause for your purpose very lowend processor won't do good

RiGOD

SoLa BeLLaToR...
AMD 3.2 GHz AM3 Athlon II 260 Processor @ 3300
Gigabyte GA-M68MT-S2 @ 2400

Total of Rs.5700 would be a good buy under 6000. But let me point out something. The major flaw in your configuration is that you spend too much on cabinet and HDD. I suggest that you go for a cheap cabinet below 1000 and some 250GB HDD and invest that money on ya CPU. Upgrade to a 2TB HDD when prices come down (maybe in 2013:wink:).

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
Hi,

I meant 15k is my total budget including the following:

Seagate 1 TB
ASUS SATA DVD-Writer
FSP Saga II 500W
Cooler Master Elite 343
Microsoft Combo

So that leaves only 5.5k for the processor and motherboard :) Lets round that up to 6k. Like I said, I can increase the budget a little if needed.

for the works you have listed, 15k alone is needed for the processor + motherboard combo. lets try the cheapest system that can be build as per your needs:

AMD A6 3500 @ 4.1k
Gigabyte GA-A55M-S2V @ 3.5k
Corsair 4Gb DDR3 1333Mhz @ 1.1k
WDC 500Gb @ 4k (maybe less)
local cabby @ 1k
Corsair CX430W @ 2.3k
Generic keyboard + mouse set @ ~0.4k

TOTAL: 16.4k

you may reduce total cost further by going for 250Gb HDD & FSP Saga II 400W but neither is recommended as total cost will be lowered by 1k at most. not worth it.

add 1k more for the DVD drive.

OP
N

NaifAmoodi

Broken In
Sam,

I am afraid I can't spend that much on the proccesor and motherboard alone. I understand the price of hard drives is sky high right now so I can skip the HDD and purchase it later once the prices fall back because I have an existing 320 GB hard drive which I can use temporarily.

I'll make this easy for you guys. Lets ignore all other components because the help I needed pertains to the processor and motherboard anyways. So please tell me what is the best processor and motherboard I can buy for my needs if I increase my budget for these two components from 5k to 10k?

How would a Intel Pentium G620 or Intel Core i3 2100 be?

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
your work needs some a multicore processor. so suggested you AMD APU. But i'll still suggest to got for Phenom II X4 (960T) + 880G (Gigabyte MA880GM-UD2H) combo. It'll cost 10k but will be worth the cost.

Core i3 2100 + H61 will cost more or less the same but the Phenom II X4 should offer more performance.

Top Bottom