Procedure of rbi for counterfeit notes??

Status
Not open for further replies.

magnet

Youngling
Well today while trying to take change of 10k(all 500 rupees notes) to 10-20 rupees....the cashier at my bank took 1 note of the stack and stamped it with forged stamp......though most of the times i give old notes(used which have pen written marks) for getting change.....today only 1 new note i used and that only was stamped.....

Well he didnt checked the note through air for watermark and all....but while counting only through quality of note he stated its fake(its quality was as if its from new rig crystal touch).....

Now what he did is he refused to give the note bak to me and was stating that he can give me some copy(dont know whether he meant scan copied-->which i didnt think so ats illegal to scan the note.....or some undertaking)....as i was checking the note in my hand i found the watermark on it....but the security thread didnt had the written stuff on it ....(as i had some cheques of ulip too to be submitted forgot about taking the undertaking/note)

Now my point is are the banks allowed to keep the notes.....When i said this to my dad he gave me heavy scolding stating if u have an account though forged the bank should return the money at very same point as the stamp on it itself makes it an ordinary paper....Also asked a friend and he too stated that while he insisted in his case that he will ask the person who gave him the note to change it...the bank handed the note.....
So can someone share any experince about the same.....I didnt insisted because i thought i was feeling that i may b trapped...but my pop says that guy will use the note himself ....

Pathik

Google Bot
I also had the same doubt few days back when i opened a bank account.
My Dad said that they have to give you the counterfeit note back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom