problems with ubuntu

Status
Not open for further replies.

sreevirus

Certified Nutz
Ok guys...help me out here...
I'm really frustrated with what's happening...:confused:

I'm using MTNL Triband here. Earlier I had installed openSuSE 10.3, and i had some really bad problems with it. Firefox wouldn't open any site other than Novell.com; google, wikipedia, etc would not open in FF, but they would in Konqueror (but not all the time).... I got really fed up and decided to install Ubuntu. But the problem remains... I just can't open any sites. I just did a reinstallation (thinking that something might go right by fluke). But nothing.
When I ping the sites using Network Tools, it shows success, but the sites wont open in FF...
I was just about to give up, when I decided to just try out thinkdigit.com..and it worked... (What luck, eh?)

I had earlier tried to go by the instructions given by desertwind (here), but then, after I set it to the static IP address, nothing would work further. (BTW, typing system-config-network-gui in the terminal isn't working either - it says command not recognized; I did it through System>Administration>Network). As I was saying, even pinging would fail. (also, my router is a D-Link 502T, so I had a hard time there too). By default, the Network shows something like Roaming Enabled. But if I select Automatic Configuration (DHCP), or Static IP, all net activities stop.

*img505.imageshack.us/img505/7873/screenshot1rx4.th.png

Apt-get isnt working. Nor can I do anything with the Synaptic Package Manager.

The sound is horrible. It's really really small; you'd have to listen very carefully to hear it. (Atleast SuSE was better in this aspect. It also played mp3s)

What could be wrong guys? This thing is driving me up the wall... :mad:
Ubuntu doesn't pack much of a punch without an active net connection. This is not a fault of the LAN card driver I presume, coz I can ping. (well...I cant ping microsoft.com)

Anyway....here's my config that you may need to know:
Asus P5K-VM m/b (intel g33 chipset) with an intel core 2 quad q6600
Marvell Yukon 88E8056 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller
Realtec ALC883 sound card
2 gb ram
And its an x86_64 version of Ubuntu, but yesterday, I had installed the 32 bit version from the Digit DVD.

I really miss the days when net worked on Linux on my old PC. I loved it when SuSE automatically configured the connections with kinternet, when I was using raspppoe on Windows. I just needed to click on the plug icon to get going.

Please help. :-|

(PS: I was composing this post in Ubuntu, but even as I was typing, the sites would not open sometimes. Google had opened once, not again. Right now, I'm posting it through windows, coz the net completely stopped working. Luckily I had made a backup of the post on a txt file)

Last edited:
F

FilledVoid

'm using MTNL Triband here. Earlier I had installed openSuSE 10.3, and i had some really bad problems with it. Firefox wouldn't open any site other than Novell.com; google, wikipedia, etc would not open in FF, but they would in Konqueror (but not all the time).... I got really fed up and decided to install Ubuntu. But the problem remains... I just can't open any sites. I just did a reinstallation (thinking that something might go right by fluke). But nothing.
When I ping the sites using Network Tools, it shows success, but the sites wont open in FF...
I was just about to give up, when I decided to just try out thinkdigit.com..and it worked... (What luck, eh?)

Just a shot in the dark but try after disabling ipv6 within Firefox . You can do that by going to the page about:config in FF and then just search for ipv6. It should give you a key with network.dns.disableipv6 make sure it is set to enabled.

Apt-get isnt working. Nor can I do anything with the Synaptic Package Manager.

Do you have your sources enabled in Software Sources. If you do then could you tell me how its not working .Like are you getting an error or are you missing something?

The sound is horrible. It's really really small; you'd have to listen very carefully to hear it. (Atleast SuSE was better in this aspect. It also played mp3s)

I had the same problem.

Asus P5K-VM m/b (intel g33 chipset)

I believe your problem is that your motherboard is using Intel HDA onboard. I have explained what I did on my motherboard which uses a Realtek chipset on my blog. You might want to read the post *www.filledvoid.com/2007/12/11/7/ which describes what I did . Hope that helps.

Further more are you using the CD edition or the DVD edition.

PS. try setting the DNS servers to OPENDNS ones also. I think their address is 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220 however you might want to confirm that.

OP
sreevirus

sreevirus

Certified Nutz
Thanks for the reply exx_2000. But....

exx_2000 said:
Just a shot in the dark but try after disabling ipv6 within Firefox . You can do that by going to the page about:config in FF and then just search for ipv6. It should give you a key with network.dns.disableipv6 make sure it is set to enabled.
Tried it as you said. But I still can't access the net.

exx_2000 said:
Do you have your sources enabled in Software Sources. If you do then could you tell me how its not working .Like are you getting an error or are you missing something?
Yep, I checked on everything, main, universe, restricted, multiverse, and source code. But when there's no net, it just can't download any list.

*img119.imageshack.us/img119/4966/screenshot2an2.th.png *img110.imageshack.us/img110/1750/screenshot4yt8.th.png

Here's what I got in the terminal:
Code:
root@x-comp:/home/sreeyesh# apt-get install compizconfig-settings-manager
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
E: Couldn't find package compizconfig-settings-manager
root@x-comp:/home/sreeyesh# apt-get install kcalc
Building dependency tree       
E: Couldn't find package kcalc
root@x-comp:/home/sreeyesh# apt-get install k3b
Building dependency tree       
E: Couldn't find package k3b
Any suggestions?

Thanks for the link to your blog. :) The m/b indeed has Intel HDA. I'll surely try it out later.
But getting the net running is a more pressing matter.

Last edited:

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
You definitely need to do a sudo apt-get update first and then try installing those stuff. It doesn't have an updated list so its not finding anything at all.

Also disable IPv6 entirely by following this:
Code:
1. Do sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/aliases (or your preferred text editor)
2. Find the line: alias net-pf-10 ipv6
3. Edit this to: alias net-pf-10 off
4. Save the file and reboot

[URL="*ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=6841"]Via.[/URL]
This should hopefully fix the slow connections an dns issues. Also do try working with OpenDNS to see if the problem lies with your ISP's DNS?

Last edited:
OP
sreevirus

sreevirus

Certified Nutz
QwertyManiac said:
You definitely need to do a sudo apt-get update first and then try installing those stuff. It doesn't have an updated list so its not finding anything at all.

Also disable IPv6 entirely by following this:
Code:
1. Do sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/aliases (or your preferred text editor)
2. Find the line: alias net-pf-10 ipv6
3. Edit this to: alias net-pf-10 off
4. Save the file and reboot

[URL="*ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=6841"]Via.[/URL]
This should hopefully fix the slow connections an dns issues.

[/quote]
Thanks a lot Querty. It worked. :D
Hurray!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom