Problems in Dell XPS,any solution?

SahilAr

In the zone
My Dell XPS is out of warranty and problems started arising after that..
First...DVD Drive is not working and second,Windows got corrupted..,wait a sec!here comes "The Combo".Wwhile i try to install windows from USB Drive,i get the error:A required CD/DVD device driver is missing, usb installation..
Talked with Dell CC,they told me that i will have to pay 10k for extending the warranty that excludes Battery and Physical Damage,i don't want to spend that much money..i also reported them that my DVD Drive is also not detecting the DVD's..however the optical drive is functioning,it is coming out and goes in but not detecting any CD/DVD.and for that they told me i have to pay 5k means the total is 15K,i can't arrange such money..please help me:cry::cry:
Please help me getting my laptop working back :cry:

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
You have two options:
1. Either you can go to market and buy a laptop Optical drive.
or
2. You can proceed with USB installation just by changing boot device priority and making 'USB diskate' or something like that to priority #1.

OP
S

SahilAr

In the zone
I have performed diagnostics and during diagnostics,i got error:2000-0147 according to google search,i found that the this error is of Optical Drive Failure.So,i should buy optical drive from market or buy it Online?Would i get it cheaper if i buy it online?
And about making USB Device as a #1 Priority,i have done that...but nothing helped :(
I also noticed that my C Drive,where i previously installed windows 7 is now F drive and C Drive is now the Recovery Drive...

Last edited:

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
Your ODD is gone. No options except to replace it. I will say ditch DVDs, pen drives ftw.

Wwhile i try to install windows from USB Drive,i get the error:A required CD/DVD device driver is missing, usb installation..

Your installation files are corrupt.

OP
S

SahilAr

In the zone
Your ODD is gone. No options except to replace it. I will say ditch DVDs, pen drives ftw.

Your installation files are corrupt.
How can you say my installation files are corrupt?It's not the case!!I want my laptop to be working,should i purchase external Optical Drive so that i can install Windows through it?
I used the same pen drive with same ISO image and successfully installed windows on my desktop,even i tried changing ISO images many times...but still the same error!I am very sure that the dvd drive is creating the problem,i am telling you i am very sure!

Last edited:

root.king

geek in action
does the files in laptop is important, if no then do whole disk format using any Ubuntu or Linux live distro

OP
S

SahilAr

In the zone
does the files in laptop is important, if no then do whole disk format using any Ubuntu or Linux live distro
Ya,the files are damn "Important" to me,if windows is not booting from USB,then how can i install Ubuntu/Linux on my System?

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
How can you say my installation files are corrupt?It's not the case!!I want my laptop to be working,should i purchase external Optical Drive so that i can install Windows through it?
I used the same pen drive with same ISO image and successfully installed windows on my desktop,even i tried changing ISO images many times...but still the same error!I am very sure that the dvd drive is creating the problem,i am telling you i am very sure!

I said that because there's no reason why windows instalation should give error of cd/dvd drive error when booting from pen drive. Its purely illogical.
Anyways, if you really think you ODD is bad, just throw it away, and buy a new external ODD, much more reliable and 3x cheaper.

OP
S

SahilAr

In the zone
I said that because there's no reason why windows instalation should give error of cd/dvd drive error when booting from pen drive. Its purely illogical.
Anyways, if you really think you ODD is bad, just throw it away, and buy a new external ODD, much more reliable and 3x cheaper.
I know that it's illogical but guess what else could be the reason after trying too many Iso's??And i have ordered Buy Media Writer in India | Buffalo 8x Ultra-Slim Portable DVD Writer | Computers & Accessories India - Infibeam.com this dvd drive,is it ok?I found it to be the cheapest one,would it be able to burn Dual Layer 8GB dvd's?

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
That ODD you have ordered is good one.
About burning dual layer DVDs, no it will be able to.

Last edited:

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
@d6bmg,you are wrong.specs clearly mention this:
DVD-R - 8x Read/Write (SL), 6x Read/Write (DL)
DVD+R - 8x Read/Write (SL), 6x Read/Write (DL)
DL=dual layer

@SahilAr,whenever burning cd/dvd always use verify/check option in nero(similar in other softwares).after burning it will take ~5-7 minutes to check.also always burn bootable images at lowest possible speeds(2.4x or 4x in case of dvd & ~24x in case of cd).

Last edited:
Top Bottom