problems in broadband navigation using Sify

Status
Not open for further replies.

techkid

Right off the assembly line
Hi all,
I have a desktop pc & laptop having Winxp installed. I am using sify broadband since 1 year. It is good broadband service. But now a days they r going to start IP- MAC address binding technique such that every PC will receive unique address on network. I will not be able to use 1 of my PCs for broadband application :( . so is there any way out to set both the pcs with similar MAC address as it is set by OS itself? :roll:

take care

voidmain

techkid said:
Hi all,
I have a desktop pc & laptop having Winxp installed. I am using sify broadband since 1 year. It is good broadband service. But now a days they r going to start IP- MAC address binding technique such that every PC will receive unique address on network. I will not be able to use 1 of my PCs for broadband application :( . so is there any way out to set both the pcs with similar MAC address as it is set by OS itself? :roll:

take care

If you are connected to the same networking device (hub or switch), then you are locally identified by the MAC address. Probably your ISP will have log of IP addresses with corresponding MAC address. So that you cant browse without the same MAC-IP address.

You cannot have the same MAC address on a LAN. So there's no way you can use the same MAC address on the two interface.

I suggest you that u google IP-MAC binding and read a little bit more.

Hope it helps ye :wink:

Scorpion

Journeyman
Is the MAC address set by the OS ? or is it hardware dependent? If it is set by the OS, then is it possible to browse internet using my dual boot system using windows and linux as I do now?
What if I reinstall my Xp, I do it often?!!
Oh! My god! Save me from this SIFY!

OP
T

techkid

Hey Scorpion,
Dont be oversmart. If I know anything @ it, I havent asked @ that. Refer sifybroadband site get ur knowledge

Scorpion

Journeyman
@ techkid,
Aare yaar, why so anger? I am just extending my concern over the problem you mentioned! I don't want to start another thread unnecessarily!
As far as I believe MAC address is bound to the hardware and not set by the OS. You can purchase another LAN card and set one of the systems to connect to the internet through SIFY and set up a LAN betweeen the two so that other one accesses interent through the first one. This way, I THINK it can be bypassed.

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
Setting of a MAC address is a easy thing just note the MAC addr of the PC that is allowed on the net and then open the network interface in the other PC and go to properties advance and select the tab self administered address here there is an option to set the new mac address. Set the noted MAC address and you have the two systems with the same MAC address. The point to remeber is that even with this you will be able to use only one PC at a time because two m/c with same mac address willl cause arp to fail thus blocking both pc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom