problem with "Sytem Vol......." help me??

Status
Not open for further replies.

SUKHI99

never forgot your roots!
Hi ! friends i hv a problem . i hv all my drives formatted in NTFS. as FAT n NTFS make their system folder called "System Volume Information ". some times when i delete some data from the drive instead of deleting it goes into that folder i.e., System...." now we can open the that system folder in FAT system n in NTFS we r not able to access that folder. so today i delete data of 267 MB size n it occupies space in system folder n disk space is not freed so my problem is that how can i remove that data from System folder. in last couple of times i format the drive to delete that ....after making it empty .so this tiem i don't want to that things again.
plz tell me why this happen to me 'n' how can i get rid of this 'n' i don't want to format the partition into FAT.plz help me.:confused:

hello some one ans yaar!its a problem for me!

Last edited:

ravi_9793

TechTin.com
right click on that drive-->>properties-->>and do disk cleanup-->> select all files type-->>delete all.

OP
S

SUKHI99

never forgot your roots!
i hv tried disk cleanup already ! thank for the suggestion! plz tell me anyohter way coz it doesn't deleted using disk clean up!

and my recycle bin is already OFF!:(

OP
S

SUKHI99

never forgot your roots!
i always used to show the hidden files and folder BTW abt which hidden items r u talking?

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
"System Volume Information" is a system folder, so you can't open/delete it in NTFS partition bcoz you don't have permission to do so.

To delete/open it, you'll have to take ownership of the folder. Goto its properties and in "Security" tab, take its ownership. (If you don't get "Security" tab, then disable "Simple File Sharing option" in Folder Options).

You can also use following registry code to add "Take Ownership" in file/folder context menu, which will make your task easier.

Link

System Volume Information folder is, as said by VG, a system folder with permissions only for NTAUTHORITY\System account. You can open it by giving yourself permissions if you are logged on as an admin. This folder stores the files necessary to perform System Restore operations. So if you like to empty it, just press Win+Break key, or Open System Properties from Control Panel, or by right Clicking on My Computer Icon and checking the 'disable system restore on all drives' checkbox. The process is just a bit different for vista.

sandeepk

Journeyman
Try to create one or two system restore points. After that run disk cleanup.
It will delete the previous restore points except the latest one. So you get the free disk space previously occupied by restore points.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom