Status
Not open for further replies.

id10t

Broken In
@IG: is this modem from PCTel? btw did you check
*www.linmodems.org/
*pctelcompdb.sourceforge.net/index.php
*linmodems.technion.ac.il/pctel-linux/

if the problem doesn't get solved then i would recommend going for an external modem instead of sticking with internal modems that might work today but not tomorrow.

IG

Journeyman
@ id1ot: i checked dude.its from priya.there are mentions about there being linux drivers all over the place but no drivers as such.

IG

Journeyman
and redhat as such does not even detect that have a modem attached to the pci slot.shouldnt it be able to detect even without the drivers??

id10t

Broken In
IG mate you gotta realise that Priya is not the actual manufacturer of the chip. I don't think Priya group has ANY manufacturing units. they just sell these products with their own stickers. what i want to know is who is the actual manufacturer of the chip. for example i have an internal modem which was sold by QHMPL but the actual manufacturer of the chip is Motorola. that is what i want to know that whether the chip manufacturer is PCTel or not.
you will never get a driver of Priya HSP56 Modem cos there is no such thing. it is just a sticker. now go to linmodems again and download the scanModem tool. use it and we will know who is the actual manufacturer of the chipset. the tool will also help you in getting to the drivers.
if you have doubts that RH is not detecting your modem at all then you can get rid of those doubts by using a simple command from a console window which is lspci. this command will give you a list of all the PCI devices on your mobo. i am sure there you will see a thing like "Analog Device" or "Communications Controller". that is your internel modem. if you want to see more details then change the command to lspci -vv

IG

Journeyman
cool mon.i got the tool but i am not able to boot into my redhat.have quite a bit of work to do until i start on the modem. thanks a lot.

tuxfan

Technomancer
Red Hat has problems with internal modems. Even I have not been able to resolve it so far. Fortunately, one of my machines has an external modem and so I keep juggling the modem in between the two.

But take a search on net. I have surely seen some links that give drivers for SM56 Motorola Internal Modems.

OP
hard_rock

hard_rock

Salieri Family
I tried the method given by firewall as below:
It's happened to almost every GNU/Linux and Windows dual boot user at some point: You have a nice installation GNU/Linux cross-booted with Windows. So far so good. But then, at some point, you reinstall Windows, perhaps because you upgraded to a new version, or perhaps you just did it to "clean up" Windows, reinstalling the original system files to make it a little more stable. When you reboot, however, you'll find that if you had LILO running from your hard disk's MBR, it has been killed, and Windows has claimed the MBR as its own. How will you reinstall your boot manager so you can get into GNU/Linux?

here is small tutorial on how to reinstall your gnu boot loader in that case. I chose GRUB here as now a days it's very popular and powerful too.
----

Boot into the rescue mode using install CD1 by typing "linux rescue" at the boot prompt. When it asks you if you want it to find your installation and mount it, let it by selecting "Continue". Once you get to the sh prompt chroot into you installation with:

# chroot /mnt/sysimage

If the disk you boot from is /dev/hda then you should be able to reinstall grub with:

# grub-install /dev/hda

Just remember to exit the chroot'ed shell before you reboot. If you reboot by "Ctrl-Alt-Del" the installer will unmount your partitions. Although it probably wouldn't hurt to try to unmount as many as you can yourself with something like:

# umount /dev/hd?[1-9]*
I restored the grub.........but now when I select the dos to open Windows the monitor just flickers and just comes back to Grub.Only Linux opens.So now how to recover Windows XP.I used fixboot n bootcfg commands from my bootable Xp cd.Instead of booting it showed Disk error.Now I reinstalled grub but there is no windiows.Is there any other command or method in windows to recover lost XP.

tuxfan

Technomancer
You need to edit grub.conf file in /etc folder. Just a little tweak there and it will be fine. Post the contents of the files here. Then only can we tell you what to edit. :)

tuxfan

Technomancer
/etc/grub.conf is a symlink to /boot/grub/grub.conf ....
Right. The file actually is in /boot/grub. But my fear is that a change in something else in such an imp folder like boot may mess around things further. So it is better to try open it thru /etc :)

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
a link is a link there is no seperate file any alterations will be on the actual file right. some how i do not understand the logic behing doing it through a link moreover my debian gentoo do not have this link.

tuxfan

Technomancer
No logic. Only some apprehensions. I don't want to be in between bombs trying to lit a cigar. Sparks may fly, may not fly. ;)

OP
hard_rock

hard_rock

Salieri Family
Hey Guyz.........
here is the content of my Grub.conf file............

# grub.conf generated by anaconda
# Note that you do not have to rerun grub after making changes to this file
# NOTICE: You have a /boot partition. This means that
# all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /boot/, eg.
# root (hd0,8 )
# kernel /vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/hda10
# initrd /initrd-version.img
#boot=/dev/hda
default=1
timeout=10
splashimage=(hd0,8 )/grub/splash.xpm.gz
title Fedora Core
(2.4.22-1.2115.nptl)
root (hd0,8)
kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.22-1.2115.nptl ro root=LABEL=/ hdb=ide-scsi
rhgb
initrd /initrd-2.4.22-1.2115.nptl.img

Sorry guyz I was offline 4 quite a long time.

Now I have got XP back.I just formatted tht drive C: and now XP opens neatly.....but again GRUB gone.....also boot.ini is not detecting my WIN98se(D: ).The filesystem is intact what to do 4 tht.

Coming to Linux....I have boot diskette.so I am rescued......But now I want to add Fedora into boot.ini..tht is without using GRUB I want to open Linux.........I want to use Windows bootloader.........Some where in this
forum I came to know tht it can be done by simply copying entire grub.conf contents into boot.ini with some changes..........n in other post it was given tht bootsect.lnx must be copied to root drive.i.e C: drive in my case n then add a line abt tht in boot.ini.........can u give further details abt this....tht is where is the bootsect.lnx file in linux partition n a detailed explaination abt this as I am a newbie in Linux.........

Initially when I installed Linux it was like typical OS with no attracting themes............but now on changing the desktop to KDE I think Linux ROCKS compared to typical Windows XP..really fedora is very good in looks compared to XP and offers many themes........

I found a screensaver called GLmatrix..............which exactly was a replicate of Matrix codes...........the falling matrix codes were exactly as in the film........it also has a option to change to codes falling into just binary or gentic codes...........i downloaded matrix code screensavers but none was as realistic as this.............really I am feeling very happy tht I have such a Good OS is free n is competant with MS products.

Also can anyone give me a good link 4 learning Linux................also good forum on linux.Realyy my first Linux eXPerience is very good.

tuxfan

Technomancer
There are two members (firewall and ricky) here who are admins at Linux forums. Here're the links.

*www.linuxjunkies.org/forum
*www.linuxsolved.com/forums

One other forum is *forums.techguy.org It has a separate Linux section. There may be many more Linux forums. Take a google search.

Now since you want to use the XP boot loader, I am not posting anything about the grub.conf file. Unfortunately (or fortunately :roll:) I have no knowledge about XP. But I have read that Fedora Core 2 and XP together create some problems in boot loaders. I don't know anything more about this.

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
firewall said:
Dual Boot using XP boot loader :
*gnuslashlinux.blogspot.com/

That's a nice document on dual booting.... just read it out.... otherwise, this procedure has been posted earlier on this section also.... just dig it out....

Also can anyone give me a good link 4 learning Linux................also good forum on linux.Realyy my first Linux eXPerience is very good

www.tldp.org is one from where you can start with... be a part of many mailing lists around.... see LinuxForYou magazine to get a list of LUG in your city....

firewall

In the zone
yeah.. tldp.org is simply great... and joining a local glug or a mailing list is most important as these will keep you updated !

and as GNUrag said... visit here *linuxforu.com/ShowLugs.php

:)

tuxfan

Technomancer
Oh yes!! I forgot the LFY site and forum. The magazine is too good. I just renewed my subscription for 3 years after trying it out for 6 months. I hope the forum (contents and members :roll:) would also be as good :)

OP
hard_rock

hard_rock

Salieri Family
Thnx 4 ur links guyz :):):).............I will check out them..........
Hey, tuxfan I have started reading LFY from this month in the college library.Really it is good man.Have to check out tht forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom