Problem with Redhat linux 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

hard_rock

Salieri Family
Hey Guyz....................
I recently got installed Red hat Linux(Fedora core 1).......I am completely new to it........I want to connect to internet using my DFM-560ES (Dlink) external modem.I chose generic modem.........but after clicking the activate button it shows tht it could not activate tht device with error 2.........the help file didn't gave me much info abt this.......also I checked the ISP details I entered in it........But nothin wrong with tht.....
Also I have win98se,win xp home.I installed RHL 10 and the bootloader was GRUB....But now when I reinstalled win98se the bootloader is changed back to DOS...........The first one b4 installing linux......thank god i have bootable disk with me..but how to bring back the Grub loader.......

phpBB Bug:

I searched 4 "configure modem in linux" n I got this
Could not obtain matched posts list

DEBUG MODE

SQL Error : 1030 Got error 134 from table handler

SELECT m.post_id FROM phpbb_search_wordlist w, phpbb_search_wordmatch m WHERE w.word_text LIKE 'linux' AND m.word_id = w.word_id AND w.word_common <> 1

Line : 303
File : /usr/local/php4/htdocs/thinkdigit/forum/search.php
Could not obtain matched posts list

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
Hey I use the same modem and the same distro for my firewall + internet gateway and router without any problem. The point to remember in this case is alwase switch on the modem before starting your linux box. then there will be no problems try this if it does not work please let me know we will solve the issue.

tuxfan

Technomancer
To bring back the GRUB loader, just boot from the 1st Fedora CD and go on as if you are installing it for the first time. It will recognise that Fedora is already installed and give you an option to load GRUB only without disturbing the existing installations.

As regards modem, as pradeep_chauhan said, leave it on and Kudzu will recognise it and pop up a message.

After it has been recognised, you can use KPPP to dial out to your ISP. Check it out. Setting it up is fairly simple. Still if you have some problem. There are many guys around here willing to guide you :)

busyanuj

In the zone
hard_rock said:
Hey Guyz....................
I recently got installed Red hat Linux(Fedora core 1).......I am completely new to it........I want to connect to internet using my DFM-560ES (Dlink) external modem.I chose generic modem.........but after clicking the activate button it shows tht it could not activate tht device with error 2.........the help file didn't gave me much info abt this.......also I checked the ISP details I entered in it........But nothin wrong with tht.....

the following steps require tour phone line to support Tone Dialing

firstly, launch Terminal and type setup. from there select the System Services option and ensure that the "kudzu" service is enabled. reboot if necessary.

you should know whether the modem is plugged into COM 1 port or COM 2 port.

next, in Gnome,
go to System Settings --> Network and there select the "Hardware" tab.
next click on Edit tab.

here, the modem device should either be /dev/ttyS0 (for COM1) or /dev/ttyS1 (for COM2)
next make the "baud rate" = 115200
and the "Flow Control" should be Hardware (CRTSCTS)
next, enable "Touch Tone Dialing"

now, try to connect again and post the results.

OP
hard_rock

hard_rock

Salieri Family
Thank u very much Guyzz.............thank u very much........
Really Internet in linux is very fast..this forum loads with a rocket speed.......
I configured modem using kudzu..........
One problem solved........
But the another problem is GRUB loader.......I installed the first CD and made necessary adjustments to install GRUB.But at last it showed tht original boot loader configuration is retained..........n now no use of GRUB loader.....Wat might be the prob...nways how can I introduce RHL10 in DOS bootloader.
After it has been recognised, you can use KPPP to dial out to your ISP. Check it out. Setting it up is fairly simple.
Another question......What is KPPP n how to use it.My modem now dialled but did not show any icon in the task bar tht is connected.
I am completely new to linux..I installed it to learn it.
Also is there any network probs in Linux...........such as viruses...I know there are no viruses 4 it......but still any security threats in INTERNET.....if so wat is the remedy?
nyway very very much thanks to u Pradeep,Tuxfan n Busyanuj.

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
well kppp is an agent that helps set up the dialup connection. there are various options that can be used for the same purpose if you are able to connect to the net just stick to what you are using i personaly like wvdial this is another utility to set up the connection. Ok now about your icon problem right click on the task bar the go to add go to applet select "modem lights" this will add a modem trafic and activity monitoring icon on your task bar that shows all internet activity. for security you can config iptables which is a strong firewall built into linux.

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
pradeep_chauhan said:
The point to remember in this case is alwase switch on the modem before starting your linux box.
Nope...you can switch it ON whenever you want... its a serial device you see....

busyanuj

In the zone
hard_rock said:
I am completely new to linux..I installed it to learn it.
Also is there any network probs in Linux...........such as viruses...I know there are no viruses 4 it......but still any security threats in INTERNET.....if so wat is the remedy?
nyway very very much thanks to u Pradeep,Tuxfan n Busyanuj.
you're welcome.

as for securing your computer, simply go to System Settings >> Security Level and enable the Firewall.

next, check the options for HTTP and SMTP (you can also check SSH etc. if you use them)
next, in the trusted devices, check ppp0.

## you can also install the Clam AntiVirus, launch Terminal and type yum install clamav to install it.
when you want to scan your computer, simply type clamscan to scan your computer for viruses.

## : I learnt it from *fedoraforum.org/

OP
hard_rock

hard_rock

Salieri Family
Hey Pradeep,wat u said was right yaar......the second time when I started up with modem off.....it showed me an option to remove modem config. or keep it.......so does it shows everytime while starting up.........????Thanx 4 ur info yaar..
I got what is KPPP..but does it come inbuilt with RHL10.If where do I get in the menu....(I am new to Linux.....the terminologies,file system,extensions are different.So I am bit confued)
Busyanuj,thanx 4 ur info.I will check out the link.

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
Sorry i do not use kppp so canot comment much on it if you plan to use wvdail or "redhat-config-network" i am there as i use these two.
PS : Call redhat10 = fedora core1 it is the actual name of the distro

tuxfan

Technomancer
Click on the K (or the Red Hat) logo on the left bottom. In the Menu, go to Internet and you will see KPPP. There is a setting in KPPP that will give you icons near the clock when you get connected. Just look out for it in the Settings or Congif or something like that.

It comes built into RH10 (or FC1). But do you use GNOME or KDE?

BTW, its nice to have so many people contributing in a GNU/Linux thread. I was under the impression that there are very few people here who are fond of this OS. But I am glad to say that I was wrong :)

OP
hard_rock

hard_rock

Salieri Family
I use Gnome...Ya linux is a great OS without any viruses.....
I checked it tuxfan..but there irc client,mozilla,konqueror web browser ,evolution email,gFTP,messaging client n pan.But there is no KPPP.can u provide the link to download it.Thanx

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
hard_rock said:
.But there is no KPPP.can u provide the link to download it.Thanx
Its installed if you install KDE onto your system... did you install KDE also ? If yes, then open a terminal and type
$ kppp

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
pop in your source (ie where you installed linux from ) and go to system setting-> add/remove applications and then tick on the kde desktop this will install all the kde files and the elusive kppp also

tuxfan

Technomancer
But if KDE isn't installed, GNOME must be having its own dialers!! You don't need KDE to connect to net. Let some experienced GNOME user guide. I have so far been using only KDE

firewall said:
I am glad to see you using the term "GNU/LINUX"
I realise the fact that I am in between some more experienced (i.e. at least more experienced than me) users. That is why the real term :)

IG

Journeyman
red hat doesnt seem to recognise my modem. i use a hsp56 micomodem on my pci slot and it is never detected by red hat. i cannot find any linux drivers for it on the net either...is there any way i can get it detected and use my linux install for the net as well.if not are there any internal modems within the rs.500 range that come with linux drivers?

id10t

Broken In
afaik GNOME doesn't come with a dial-up utility like KPPP but you can try gnome-ppp.
it is a GUI front end to wvdial which i think Fedora must have come with, so you should not have much problem in installing the utility.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom