Problem with my new comp. Need help identifying problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

nikkuchan

Broken In
I recently bought a new motherboard, cpu, and memory. having done this quite a bit, I figured everything would go something. How stupid of me to assume nothing would go wrong.

Anyway, here is the problem. I have a pentium core 2 duo E8400 on a Biostar GF7050V-M7 (I was on a budget, so I got cheap stuff) with a 2 gig stick of some unnamed OEM memory (667 mhz). I put everything together and I get nothing when I turn on the computer. Everything is powering up; fans are spinning, lights are lighting, but no display and no response from anything.

My first thought was that the mobo wasn't compatible with the e8400, but I read a post from this site (from a user named Hellgate) reporting performance with this cpu/mobo combo. Apparently they should work, but if it requires a bios upgrade I'm screwed as I have no other cpus to switch out. So I thought that maybe the memory was crap, but I got no way of testing that theory either.

I'm trying to figure out where the problem lies so I can replace the right part. Thanks.

realdan

Ambassador of Buzz
2 gig stick of some unnamed OEM memory (667 mhz)

this part doesnt sound nice...

there are no beeps? u might have to attach your cabinet..speaker(tiny) connector to hear any beep ..at least that is the case for my motherboard

keith_j_snyder2

Rising ApocalypsE
Easy! Go to the Biostar service centre (If it is in Japan) and request them for updating ur BIOS!
or
U can also request the Dealer from where u got the board.
They don't charge for this!

ancientrites

In the zone
hold it right there.
1.Are you using pata hard drives.if yes then forget it.it only recognizes Sata hard drive and thats speciality about this mobo.i read it in some article.try to get a sata hdd and test again.it should work.i know this is strange.

OP
N

nikkuchan

Broken In
hold it right there.
1.Are you using pata hard drives.if yes then forget it.it only recognizes Sata hard drive and thats speciality about this mobo.i read it in some article.try to get a sata hdd and test again.it should work.i know this is strange.

Are you saying that this system won't boot without an SATA hard drive?
Sounds odd to me; I would assume that it would at least give me some display or something, even when no drives are connected.

ancientrites

In the zone
nikkuchan : check my pm
you said there was no display at all, you could hear psu/cpu running rite?.in that case it is mobo problem as i told you earlier this mobo is very delicate.
suppose if u have ram problem for example my system would display asus logo and leadtek graphic card logo but wouldnt proceed further to os get hanged in between.

OP
N

nikkuchan

Broken In
You know what, I think I'm just gonna return all of this stuff and get my money back. I don't really feel like buying other parts to possibly find out that the problem lies elsewhere, but most importantly, I'm sick of cheap motherboards. I always used to think that as long as the computer worked it didn't really matter, but with my last computer as well, cheap motherboards have caused me nothing but trouble. I'm going back to my old system (which wasn't bad to begin with; the only game it wouldn't play was Crysis (athlon 64 3400+ with a radeon x1900gt fyi, old, but still holds it's own pretty well)), and when I feel up to it again I'll try again when I have enough extra money to make sure I get quality parts. Thanks everybody for you help, but I'd much rather just start over with something more reliable.

ionicsachin

Ambassador of Buzz
Yeah...it might be RAM problem...i have IP35-Pro which has a diagnostic display...my previous RAMS were faulty transcendz...so it gave me a code C1(which according to the manual meant RAM is faulty or incompatible)....and it was giving no display altho all the fans and all were running fine...later i got it resolved by buying new RAMS

@nish_higher
hi dude i ve got the G.skills too...but they work a bit hot(touchable) ... is it the same with u

nish_higher

Wise Old Owl
^
i'm using a corsair Dominator cooler over them..yea they heat up when overclocked.and also they are hotter than any value non-heatsinked rams.. corsair dominators and OCZ too
patriots are cool and so are kingston performance rams
need not to worry.just use the specified voltage on the sticks and if overclocking do ask gskill support for some nice voltages :)

OP
N

nikkuchan

Broken In
Well, I’m starting to think it’s the ram. I checked the biostar website, and with only one 2 gig ram stick reported as working, I’m thinking that maybe mine isn’t compatible. I Can afford to try another (reported as working) ram stick, but I’m still feeling a bit unsure.
Ever since the post about the mobo not being able to boot from an IDE drive I’ve been uneasy, and I’d really like some explanation about this. I have trouble believing that the lack of an SATA drive would keep the mobo from posting. If the problem is the ram and I fix it, will I not be able to boot from my IDE drive? I don’t know if I want to buy a new hard drive even though I have a perfectly good one now. Anyone have any info on this?
Also, I will check the bios version once I get the chance.

ionicsachin

Ambassador of Buzz
if u can go for aBit ip35-e...cost 4900 bucks....total mann ki shanti...almost all ram works and IDE too....even i am using IDE drives only on my ip35-pro

acewin

Point Blanc
if u can go for aBit ip35-e...cost 4900 bucks....total mann ki shanti...almost all ram works and IDE too....even i am using IDE drives only on my ip35-pro

I think nikkuchan has set his location as japan, so it wont be 4900 secondly it wont be "mann ki shanti" but something else in japanese.

But yes the the suggestion is good, nikku you can opt for a good motherboard by not paying much, because mobo and procy are first thing and mobo is real important, you can go fo a cheaper procy to hold on your budgets but a good mobo helps you in a lot ways(as this is what where other devices a attached)

dhanusaud

Ambassador of Buzz
in this problem four things mainly common:

1) RAM (check if RAM is sitted properly, & check if any of them is damaged, also if it runs with single slot)
2) Motherboard (check all the connectors like power, hdd, cd/dvd/fdd etc)
3) BIOS (check bios batt)
4) If you get beep sound (check the data cable connector connected to display)

anyway, you must have tiny speaker which notifies you the boot status of system. as this speaker comes inbuilt with cabinet not with motherboard. check properly inside your cabinet, you should definetly find there.

nish_higher

Wise Old Owl
just remove ur ram,power on ur pc.if that board has onboard speaker ,which almost all have,u'll hear a ringing beep.if so, change the ram and see.
If this does not happen,the fault lies with motherboard.
Its not with pata hdd coz if thats the case the system would boot into bios

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom