Problem with low resolution in games

connoisseur

Broken In
I want to play games on low resolution to get better FPS but whenever i set it to resolutions like 1024x786, the game screen doesn't occupy the whole monitor, and there is a lot of space left on the left and right side of screen.
I've tried with 2-3 games, and got the same result.
While widescreen resolutions work properly.
Also at my friend's PC, these resolutions take the full screen area. His LCD is bigger though.
I have Samsung SyncMaster 633NW LCD display.
Please help.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
try running games at 1280X768 if it supports

Edit: yours is 15.6" & have resolution of 1360X768.

1280X720 should be possible.

OP
C

connoisseur

Broken In
thanks for the reply.
Isn't it possible to get even lower resolution. FPS at this one is ok, but it would be even better at something lower.
The thing I don't get is that why is it not occupying full space while my friend gets it. Basically my monitor is showing exact 1024x786 proportions and leaving the rest of the space while his PC stretches the view to occupy full space. His LCD is also samsung but different model.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
thanks for the reply.
Isn't it possible to get even lower resolution. FPS at this one is ok, but it would be even better at something lower.
The thing I don't get is that why is it not occupying full space while my friend gets it. Basically my monitor is showing exact 1024x786 proportions and leaving the rest of the space while his PC stretches the view to occupy full space. His LCD is also samsung but different model.

your monitors aspect ratio is not exactly 16:9 so once you go low, you are forcing the game to run at resolutions like 1024X768 or 1024X600 (can't remember any game that use this resolution). Of these only 1024X600 comes close to 16:9 so should work in your monitor. But games mayn't accept such a resolution. Best option for you is to try all resolutions one by one.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
@ OP - you need to set the image mode to Stretched / Wide Fit or something like that from the monitor's control panel using monitor buttons .

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
there's not much visual difference in most of the games between 1366*768 and 1024*768 resolution - the image still looks good but for shooters it's good to use the monitor's native resolution if possible - I find it more easier to shoot accurately ;-)

Top Bottom