Problem with laptop shutdown process

AbhMkh

Ambassador of Buzz
Hey All,

I have a Dell laptop. I recently updated my graphics driver, to non OEM provided drivers(latest non beta AMD catalyst).

I am facing a weird issue while giving the shutdown command, the laptop display turns off but the laptop itself doesn't shutdown, similarly while idling if the display turns off, it doesn't come back on even after repeated prompts from the keyboard/touchpad etc.

I cannot for the life of me figure out why this happening, reverting back to the dell drivers turns everything normal.

Has anybody else faced this problem, if so what was the solution ?

Thanks!
Abhijit

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
Hey All,

I have a Dell laptop. I recently updated my graphics driver, to non OEM provided drivers(latest non beta AMD catalyst).

I am facing a weird issue while giving the shutdown command, the laptop display turns off but the laptop itself doesn't shutdown, similarly while idling if the display turns off, it doesn't come back on even after repeated prompts from the keyboard/touchpad etc.

I cannot for the life of me figure out why this happening, reverting back to the dell drivers turns everything normal.

Thanks!
Abhijit

OMG it happens to you too!!???
Same problems here.
I figured something out.
The laptop shuts down fine if it is either on battery or AC power but if I remove the AC power or insert AC power after clicking shutdown(ie. in the transition state) then laptop goes into semi-off mode. It is on and off at the same time. Then it requires pressing the shut-down button for 10 secs for it power off. This has not been extensively tested.

Case 2- When laptop goes into sleep mode it refuses to wake up going into same hybrid mode explained above. There is actually a solution to this. In the power management by setting the put computer to sleep option to "never" solves this for 80% cases. Now there's another option - turn off the display. Setting this one to "never" solves 100% of the problem but if this is set to some other value, then the computer sometimes goes into hybrid mode and sometimes it doesn't.

Apparently this is a problem with Intel iRST and is common in laptops with this bios - InsydeH2O.

- - - Updated - - -

Correction: this problem is common for Dell laptops with this bios of the 2013 series.

kARTechnology

Sony " VA" "IO"
Hey All,

Thanks!
Abhijit
Same with my my vaio when I restart
Screen turns off, everything except fan turns off
The fan swings from 100% to 0% and viceversa indefinitely until I do 10sec power button pressing

This started after getting my mobo changed

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
Vaio owners, never ever install non - oem drivers. Even Sony warns regarding this.
After I installed leshcat 13.2, laptop stopped reading battery. I thought my battery went kaput, and was about to buy a new one :|.
Hell, till date I've not been able to make fn functions work; reason is that I fresh installed the OS over bloated one. :/

Regarding dell, I have tested inspiron with same leshcat drivers as dell didn't provide win 8 drivers. And the leshcat worked well.

Seems like newer dell's have this problem.
Still I feel that drivers are something which one shouldn't really mess with until the need forces to.

OP
A

AbhMkh

Ambassador of Buzz
OMG it happens to you too!!???
Same problems here.
I figured something out.
The laptop shuts down fine if it is either on battery or AC power but if I remove the AC power or insert AC power after clicking shutdown(ie. in the transition state) then laptop goes into semi-off mode. It is on and off at the same time. Then it requires pressing the shut-down button for 10 secs for it power off. This has not been extensively tested.

Case 2- When laptop goes into sleep mode it refuses to wake up going into same hybrid mode explained above. There is actually a solution to this. In the power management by setting the put computer to sleep option to "never" solves this for 80% cases. Now there's another option - turn off the display. Setting this one to "never" solves 100% of the problem but if this is set to some other value, then the computer sometimes goes into hybrid mode and sometimes it doesn't.

Apparently this is a problem with Intel iRST and is common in laptops with this bios - InsydeH2O.

- - - Updated - - -

Correction: this problem is common for Dell laptops with this bios of the 2013 series.

Then how should we report this to Dell, I am worried that repeated force shutting the laptop will crash the HD.

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
Not upgrading the drivers is a poor solution as that massively decreases the GPU performance.
I think careful use is the only solution. Never letting laptop go into sleep mode and also shutting down only with AC power on.

kARTechnology

Sony " VA" "IO"
Vaio owners, never ever install non - oem drivers. Even Sony warns regarding this.
After I installed leshcat 13.2, laptop stopped reading battery. I thought my battery went kaput, and was about to buy a new one :|.
Hell, till date I've not been able to make fn functions work; reason is that I fresh installed the OS over bloated one. :/

Regarding dell, I have tested inspiron with same leshcat drivers as dell didn't provide win 8 drivers. And the leshcat worked well.

Seems like newer dell's have this problem.
Still I feel that drivers are something which one shouldn't really mess with until the need forces to.

win vista laptop now running win 8 with win 7 drivers given by vaio and everything working nicely....
i said it started happening after getting mobo changed only

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
Even leashcats drivers fail to do anything. Only option is to keep on AC power when shutting down and never to let laptop go into sleep mode.

Top Bottom