Problem with dual booting Windows XP and 7

lr7745

Broken In
I built a new rig yesterday to be used as a secondary PC and wanted to dual boot 32bit XP and 64 bit 7. I used the same config before on my main pc and faced no problems then. As before, I installed XP first and it ran without a hitch. Then I installed 7 on a different partition and it installed without any issues, too. But, after that if I start the computer, I don't get the option to choose windows 7 or older version of windows i.e. XP. It directly boots into 7. Can anyone help with this?? I really need to keep both OSes.

My config:
AMD A4-3300
Gigabyte A55M-DS2
WD Caviar Blue 500 GB
Corsair 450W

When I boot the system up it shows the Gigabyte screen, then where it ought to show the option to boot the OS of my choice, it shows "Loading Operating System", then "Boot From CD/DVD" (because I set priority as CD>HDD) and then boots Windows 7.

OP
L

lr7745

Broken In
I used easybcd but it shows that only windows 7 is installed. :cry: I'll have to reinstall both and try it again, it seems...

gameranand

Living to Play
^^ Do you know how to use it or not ?? Read some articles online, if you have installed XP then you won't have to do it again.

OP
L

lr7745

Broken In
I used it only after reading a few online tutorials, it doesn't show that XP is installed at all... So I decided to give up and use Windows 7 32 bit. Maybe I should try the XP mode? Is it only available for 64 bit 7 or is it there for 32 bit as well???

Gaurav265

A PC GAMER
After installing win xp you have to install win 7 through win xp desktop,not directly by booting into DVD.Then you get the option to dual boot.I have experienced it before...

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Well. Installing Windows 7 after XP have no problem in dual booting. But only if you havn't erased XP partition while installing W7.
Can you see the partition of XP from within Win 7?

Top Bottom