Problem with AMD processor on windows XP

1987ronnie

Right off the assembly line
Hello all,

I recently purchased a new system with configuration
Processor: AMD phenom II X2 550
Motherboard: Biostar N68S3
RAM : 2gb

The problem is, whenever am booting into windows 7 am getting my system properties as AMD Phenom II X2 550 processor, 3.11GHz speed...which is usually what Phenom X2 provides, but whenever i boot in Windows XP am getting various speeds like 778Mhz, 1.90MHz, as well as 3.11GHz.
These readings are coming simultaneously whenever i check the system properties.

Can anyone suggest the reason for such an weird behaviour, please?

Thanks in advance.:???:

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
Even intel has it. In AMD its called cool and quiet and Intel calls it EIST settings. It lowers/increases to stock frequency to save power. Its not weird- this setup is there since pentium 4 days (maybe beyond but my experiences start with prescott).

damngoodman999

damnbadman666
Hello all,

I recently purchased a new system with configuration
Processor: AMD phenom II X2 550
Motherboard: Biostar N68S3
RAM : 2gb

The problem is, whenever am booting into windows 7 am getting my system properties as AMD Phenom II X2 550 processor, 3.11GHz speed...which is usually what Phenom X2 provides, but whenever i boot in Windows XP am getting various speeds like 778Mhz, 1.90MHz, as well as 3.11GHz.
These readings are coming simultaneously whenever i check the system properties.

Can anyone suggest the reason for such an weird behaviour, please?

Thanks in advance.:???:

No need to worry !
just When CPU is idle it consumes less power according to that it changes the core value to minimum & when it runs any appl/games it takes it to ur maximum core clock !

Note :
If u do not need Cool & quiet is BIOS settings -> advanced settings -> cool & quiet = ENABLE/DISABLE !

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
Even intel has it. In AMD its called cool and quiet and Intel calls it EIST settings. It lowers/increases to stock frequency to save power. Its not weird- this setup is there since pentium 4 days (maybe beyond but my experiences start with prescott).

i own a P4 rig. powered by P4 @ 3Ghz Prescott but never seen the clock lower below it. why? the motherboard is an entrylevel one. Asus P5RD1-VM based around ATI Radeon Xpress 200. is it cause of the motherboard?

@OP, better keep the Cool&Quite on in your system. even in Windows 7 your proccy will clock down. use CPU_Z & you'll see during idle the proccy clocks down to around 800Mhz.

Top Bottom