Problem with 320 GB external HDD

Status
Not open for further replies.

srimaya_rath

Broken In
Hi All,

Recently I bought a 320 GB HDD. Then I did the casing to it (USB enable).
It was working fine. Somedays back I had given my HDD to a friend of mine. My friend told me that in the HDD, he's not able to see any drives though the computer is recognising the HDD (that removable icon for external device is displayed in the taskbar).

The HDD has 3 logical partitions. Now I'm also not able to see these partitions in my PC. Again that removable icon for external device is displayed in the taskbar of my PC also. So, what could be the problem? Is it an issue with the casing or my HDD has gone for a toss? Am really worried as a lot of valuable data was there in the HDD. Please help me.

Thanks,
Srimaya

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
ask may be computer OS failed alocate drive latter for those Partition...

just check one thing... Right Click on my computer then click on Management and go to disk management TAB

now chcek there whether is there any unassigned drive ??

*img183.imageshack.us/img183/1372/diskmanagementgi6.th.jpg

if yes then just right click on that partition and assign a drive letter... !!

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
srimaya_rath said:
I've tried this option... It didn't work... Any other solution???
Whether my HDD is safe or not??

-Srimaya

didnt worked means?? post a screen shot.. of Disk Managenet while u have connected the drive to ur system...

NucleusKore

TheSaint
Looks like either your partition table is corrupted or your disk has crashed. Fit the drive internally as a slave drive and try to access it. If it fails try booting from a Knoppix live cd, and see if you can see the partititons. If there is valuable data on it the only go is to take it to a data recovery centre and that will cost you $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

DukeNukem

Come get Some
problem is that either you are using windows XPSP2 or above and
your friend is using simple XP or Below(which didnt recognise HDD above 120GB) which have curropted your drive while tring to recognise and use,
though chances are there, but dont take it seriously.

try PCI FILE INSCPECTOR or GET DATA BACK KINDA SOFTWARE to solve your Problem

OP
S

srimaya_rath

Broken In
Hi,

I tried the HDD as slave by fitting it internally. It's working fine... :)
I think my casing has gone for a toss.... I'll check it... Thanks for your good suggestions...

-Srimaya

gmanog

Journeyman
Hi
I also had same problem as you had, its with the casing only. Most of the casing available in our Market is not supporting the higher capacity HDDs. I think we should go for reputed branded ones like Vantec.(of course it costs four or five times more than the ordinary ones).

so anyone wants to make a USB Drive Please beware of the Casings available, it may work fine for few days, but fact is they do not support higher capacity HDDs. Go for Branded ones, which support higher capacity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom