Problem while Gaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

ganeshravi

Broken In
hi,
i currently switched to Microsoft Windows XP Professional x64 Edition and upgraded my RAM from 2 to 4GB(Transcend 2x2GB 800Mhz DDR2). my problem is tat GRID(my favorite game!) fetches me very low frame rates at all display settings maxed out(reminds me the days of playing NFS Most Wanted on a 1.73Ghz P4 with IGP,Intel 945 :sad:).

My current configuration is a C2D E8400 running at 3.6Ghz (with one holder of the heat sink broken, i suspect the problem is here but the cpu temperature is normal @ +/- 55 while gaming)
Palit HD4850 Sonic(no overclocking done, ATi catalyst center shows minimal fan speed and minimal usage:?:)
MSI P45 Neo-F
CorsaIR VX450W
HP 15" LCD monitor

what could be the problem?

PS: I have not got the BSOD till now and i have reinstalled the game and checked, still very low frame rates.

OP
ganeshravi

ganeshravi

Broken In
I donot know how to calculate the frame rate in GRID... As Far as i know, the frame rate is not very smooth... it is slightly jagged... i mean i hav a feel that some frames are being skipped... i hope u can understand, cant express them properly.. :smile:

as for the settings, all are max that is high and very high(where ever available) settings

the driver version is 8.22

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
To measure the amount of frame rates, download a utility called FRAPS. It should give you a accurate idea of the frame rates you're getting. Also the driver version you're using is way too old. Uninstall it completely & download the latest Catalyst drivers from ATI's official website. The latest version is Catalyst 9.4. Try running the game after that.

Last edited:

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
please use the new 9.3 catalyst. The older catalyst drivers have a lot of issues which is also known not to display correct fanspeed and temperatues.

OP
ganeshravi

ganeshravi

Broken In
upgraded to 9.4... still the same problem... :-( i even installed xp 32-bit again... still i got the same problem... my frame rate is hovering 12-20fps... :-(

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
That's odd. I have the same card & an even lower processor, but I still retain frames rates above 70fps. Are you facing the same issue with any other game or just this one? Also is it some ripped version of the game or an original copy?

OP
ganeshravi

ganeshravi

Broken In
I tested my card on my friend's system(C2D E7400, no overclocking done!) and moreover the monitor was a samsung 22" and i ran the same game in full rendering! the result, a SOLID 70fps.!:-x

the software that i was using to check my temperatures(in my computer) was 'CPU Cool' and i think that was the problem. i used another software, 'real temp 3.00'. the first one showed +/- 50 and the second one showed a whooping 80+:shock: (i guess tat is too much for an E8400 OC'ed to 3.6Ghz, correct me if wrong)

i removed my stock heatsink and there were only traces of thermal paste(i had not applied any while i installed it initially, some was pre applied to it).
i jus now purchased a cooler master hyper212(120mm) with dual fans(stock comes with only one) for 2.5k +0.5k(extra cooler master 120mm fan). eventually i got a decent 95fps on the stock proccy. :grin:

i donot know, this was the only game i had installed, didnt try another and it was a download from torrentz which was around 6.5GB.

still running on the 32bit version and on 2gb ram... yet to try it out on the 64-bit edition with the extra ram..

cyborg47

Technomancer
even i had the same problem some time back ONLYT with GRID....i used to get really good frame rates...then i formatted my system, installed grid, and when i ran it, i got really poor framerates. It shifted from 80fps to 15fps suddenly, all settings high....i'd suggest u change the multisampling to 4x or 8x....then i wud surely run fine.....i had to format my system again, and only then i got smooth framerate with all high settings 16x multisampling....and try installing the new service pack, that might work....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom