Problem running Ubuntu 11.10 on Radeon 6800HD series

Amithansda

Journeyman
I have a core i5,Intel DP67BG mainboard,4GB DDR3 machine with Sapphire Radeon 6870HD with windows 7 installed previously.
I downloaded this Ubuntu 11.04 and ran it as live CD and seemed to found no problem. But I installed it to make my PC dual booting but after the menu choosing at GRUB... The screen goes purple and nothing else I Got another 11.10 DVD borrowed from a pal that removed the 11.04 but the same case happened, no problem while running it from CD, even no error showed during installation, and yet it does not work after GRUB menu.Tried startX in command more, does not work either.

However, I googled a lil bit, and came up with more confused mind Is this happening because my mainboard does not have inbuilt GFX?
One particular suggestion was to enter into Ubuntu recovery mode, and start a safe graphics session, install radeon gfx driver but I don't know how to start safe mode.
I will be grateful if anyone can help me.

digit.sh

Journeyman
^Even I am facing exactly the same problem. See my post at this link

If you find any solution please let us know.

mediator

Technomancer
I guess you have tried the recovery mode as well. If it still does not boot into the recovery mood, then simply do this

1. Boot from Ubuntu 11.10 Live Cd and select "Try it"

2. Find the location of your root partition /dev/sdaX e.g /dev/sda2

3. Connect to internet via ethernet or Wifi. Wifi is supported pretty well.

4. Open terminal and execute
Code:
sudo mount /dev/sdaX /mnt && sudo mount --bind /dev /mnt/dev && sudo mount --bind /proc /mnt/proc && sudo mount --bind /sys /mnt/sys && sudo mount --bind /dev/pts /mnt/dev/pts && sudo cp /etc/resolv.conf /mnt/etc/resolv.conf && sudo chroot /mnt
......Replace /dev/sdaX with your configuration

5. Update the system
Code:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

6. Reboot

See if the screen is restored. If not, then repeat steps 1-4 and jump to step 7

7. Install the ATI drivers

Here's a good tutorial on install ATI drivers : Install ATI official drivers in Ubuntu Ubuntu Technical

8. Reboot and see if the screen is restored.

Hope that helps..

Last edited:
OP
Amithansda

Amithansda

Journeyman
I guess you have tried the recovery mode as well. If it still does not boot into the recovery mood, then simply do this

1. Boot from Ubuntu 11.10 Live Cd and select "Try it"

2. Find the location of your root partition /dev/sdaX e.g /dev/sda2

3. Connect to internet via ethernet or Wifi. Wifi is supported pretty well.

4. Open terminal and execute
Code:
sudo mount /dev/sdaX /mnt && sudo mount --bind /dev /mnt/dev && sudo mount --bind /proc /mnt/proc && sudo mount --bind /sys /mnt/sys && sudo mount --bind /dev/pts /mnt/dev/pts && sudo cp /etc/resolv.conf /mnt/etc/resolv.conf && sudo chroot /mnt
......Replace /dev/sdaX with your configuration

5. Update the system
Code:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

6. Reboot

See if the screen is restored. If not, then repeat steps 1-4 and jump to step 7

7. Install the ATI drivers

Here's a good tutorial on install ATI drivers : Install ATI official drivers in Ubuntu Ubuntu Technical

8. Reboot and see if the screen is restored.

Hope that helps..
Firstly, thanks for replying, Actually, I can boot into recovery mode ....tell me a way to install the packages from USB disk(in details, if you may).

^Even I am facing exactly the same problem. See my post at this link

If you find any solution please let us know.

One fine morning, I successfully get into that GUI session(by sheer luck, i guess), and I used that chance , configured the wired connection to connect to internet and installed those Catalyst drivers , since then it is running fine.

Top Bottom