problem on reinstalling windows xp

Status
Not open for further replies.

nikhil1243

Right off the assembly line
i have got a problem in creating my dial up connection i found the only way is to reinstall my windows xp
i have doubt whether all the files in my computer would get deleted while installing windows xp please advice
if there is some way to save the files without getting deleted pls tell.i dont have an external hard disk to backup the files.

spikygv

Wise Old Owl
pehaps , there is another way .describe ur problem .

if u have only one partition , try re-installing xp without formatting the disk ( but this usually doesnt solve the problem...) . if u have other partitions , move the necessary files temporarily to another partition . format , re-install and get them back.

copy all files in mydocuments , copy the folder application data ( i think its hidden ) in C:\Documents and Settings\[user name] . that should do. copy all files which u think u will need...

OP
N

nikhil1243

Right off the assembly line
my problem is described in the previous thread
i want to know how to install xp without getting the files deleted.
or
could you tell how to create a partition without using any software and not getting any files deleted

spikygv

Wise Old Owl
ok . if u have a lot of free space . then install , xp on another drive where there is no OS . like say D: or E: . i.e.. have 2 copies of xp itself . it works fine , no need to format.(but then again , i duuno if that'll solve ur problem coz it may not ask u for drivers again...) . if u have more space on C: ( more than 5gb free ) , use soft described here ,

*apcmag.com/5485/dualbooting_vista_and_xp

skip it all , just read the part where u use diskpart.

BTW , why are u insisting on this , your problem is probobly solvable by other ways , try a system restore ..state ur problem and u can expect more help . plz dont be adament on this way . . .

and i dont see why my previous thread wont help ? if u can get back all ur files, wats the difference to u whether u format or not ??

iceeeeman

Journeyman
Dude ill tel ya how to do:-
Copy all the files(which are stored in c:) to any other drive i.e D:eek:r E: etc or else u may also use the external drive to store ur Data

Now start ur computer with Win Xp bootable cd in ur cd-rom and then select install a fresh copy of windows xp after formatting it (NTFS or FAT32).After the setup is complete copy all the files which u had earlier copied to d: or E: etc back to C: Done ;-)

spikygv

Wise Old Owl
@iceeeeeeman , gr8 idea buddy . overwrite windows files while running windows. i cant happen , besides even if it did happen , nikhil1234's problem may return . . LOL .

but the idea is gud if u dont know wat files u may need . keep them in E: as iceeeeman suggested .dont transfer all files , transfer only those files in application data ( after installing all those softs u had earlier ) . that gives u full assurance that no file is lost bcoz of format . .hope u have a lot of HDD space...

PS
and hey , y dont u ask Vista (Vishal Gupta) about this. I'm sure u'll get a much better answer . ..

Last edited:

iceeeeman

Journeyman
sagargv said:
@iceeeeeeman , gr8 idea buddy . overwrite windows files while running windows. i cant happen , besides even if it did happen , nikhil1234's problem may return . . LOL .

dude i meant that he may copy all the required files in some other volume n wht u mean by "overwrite windows files while running windows" :confused: :confused: ,Who is tellin him to overwrite his system files i m just tellin him to copy it some other drive where windows is not installed , then he may copy all the required files back to c:Thts it ....:)

Liggy

Is actually a real word..
nikhil1243, who told u that u would need to reinstall windows? try going to connections tab from IE options, and if there is more then one item in the list of dialers, remove them. If your ISp sent you setup disk remove them all, uninstall the driver form device manager, reboot the machine you should get a prompt for found new hw (if you have a more update driver install that one otherwise) let windows install that, try to use setup disk from ISP. more then likely you will not have a free partiton (unless you remember creating one before hand. It is always better to try to resolve the issue without a format for a few reasons the 1st being data loss (which everyone hates) and 2nd who's to say you will not get same thing back after a reinstall. when you do reinstall try creating a two different partitions... but lets not get to far ahead here, try uninstalling reinstalling 1st(not windows!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom