Problem Mounting NTFS partition on Red Hat 9.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moin

Broken In
Can anybody tell me how to mount NTFS partitions on REDHAT 9.0 Linux?
I tried to mount it from the command line but it displays an error saying that NTFS is not supported on my system.

technomodel

Journeyman
The default kernel shipped with redhat 9 is kernel v 2.4*(i dont exactly remember the release). It has read support for NTFS parttition but red hat has not enabled it in the default compilation. So for NTFS support you have to recompile the kernel, using the kernel source in the usr/src/linux-2.4 directory.Follow these steps to reconfigure the kernel.
1.type 'make mrproper' in the terminal to clean up the kernel configuration directories.
2.cd to the directory containing the source code and run the command 'make xconfig'.(remember you need to have x-window enebled for this to work as this a graphical interface. If u prefer menus, type make menucofig ). from here configure what you want in the new kernel. if you r in doubt, consult the help.
3. type 'meke dep'. this command checks the kernel configurations for any dependancies ypu missed.
4.type 'make clean'. this command cleans the kernel source tree.
5. now that you have configured the kernel, you need to create an image to boot from. for this, run the command 'make bzImage'. it creates a compressed image of the kernel.
6.chew your nails(if you have nothing better to do) :)
7.if you have selected any kernel feature as loadable modules, you need to run the commands 'make modules' and 'make modules_install' in that order to compile and store the modules in the /lib/modules/kernel folder.
8.copy the file 'bzImage' to the /boot directory.
9.you can now close the terminal window if u want to.
10.enter the folder /boot/grub and add the following lines to the grub.conf file:--
title Mykernel
kernel /boot/bzImage
note: if you have a separate /boot partition, the second line should not include /boot. just see whats in ur grub.conf file, willya? and if you want to see any other name in the boot loader screen instead of 'Mykernel', feel free to replace it.
11.reboot

if you have any problems, feel free to post.

WHEW!! :roll: :roll:

technomodel

Journeyman
oh, i forgot. if u dont find the source code, it just means u have not installed the source code during installation. in that case, just get it from the installation cd, or download the latest stable kernel from the net.

tuxfan

Technomancer
I have this written somewhere. Will find this out and post it here as soon as I find it. In the mean time, contacrt GNUrag, firewall or Ricky here. One of them will surely be able to help you out. :)

BONZI

Journeyman
Here we go:

You said you have red hat. So open the Konqurer goto /etc open fstab and look for something like this

/dev/hdc1 /mnt/C-ntfs: ntfs defaults 0 0

If you have that get the latest kernel from kernel.org and do what he (technomodel)said above.

If you have that goto /mnt and make a directory like c: or mydisk. Lets call it c:

Then go back and take /etc/fstab and add this line

/dev/hdc1 /mnt/C : ntfs defaults 0 0

here /dev/hdc1 is the device (it depends on your hard disk) it could be hda1 or some think like that. I suppose it hdc.

hdc1 is your c: partition in windows the same way d: is hdc5 e: is hdc6 f: is hda7. If you have more than that try it yourself ;).

Then /mnt/c: is the folder where you gonna mount it. So if you want to mount another partition make another folder in /mnt (like /mnt/d: ....) and edit fstab according to that. So for D it wll be

/dev/hdc5 /mnt/D: ntfs defaults 0 0

If you want to mount a fat partition instead of ntfs add vfat.
Thats it you've dont it now manke a link on your desktop for that try right clicking on your desktop add link to new hardware then right click open and select the device.

BTW IF YOU ARE RECOMPILING YOUR KERNEL DONT FOR GET TO ADD SUPPORT TO NTFS( thats why you are doing it). And just a bit of caution if you find some problems with your new kernel dont panic it is going to follow you until you become a geek (or otherwise reinstalling will help) and in that case plz post your problems we will try to help you. ;)

sreevirus

Certified Nutz
now that the topic has been put up, i'm facing the same problem in fedora core 2 (2.6.5-1.358)
i dloaded the appropriate rpm from *linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/rpm/fedora2.html
i ran the rpm and added these to the fstab:
Code:
/dev/hda5 /mnt/D ntfs defaults 0 0
/dev/hda6 /mnt/E ntfs defaults 0 0
but when i try to mount ntfs thru the terminal, i get an error stating that "ntfs is not supported"

how do i overcome this???

BONZI

Journeyman
Since it has 2.6.xx kernal recompiling will help. Do as technomodel said and add support to NTFS. Anyway you can write to NTFS. So its always better to keep some space as fat to share files between windows and linux.

BONZI

Journeyman
In the point 10 mentioned by technomodel if you have lilo add these lines

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.xx
label=Linux2.6.xx
root=/dev/hda5

and save

then run lilo in terminal

technomodel

Journeyman
LILO WILL WORK ONLY IF U INSTALL A THIRD PARTY BOOT LOADER. as far as i know lilo has no support for win xp or nt. so the best option for a boot loader if u r dual booting with nt/xp is grub.

BONZI

Journeyman
LILO WILL WORK ONLY IF U INSTALL A THIRD PARTY BOOT LOADER. as far as i know lilo has no support for win xp or nt. so the best option for a boot loader if u r dual booting with nt/xp is grub.

Lilo itself is a bootloader so you dont need another bootloader. And there is no support problems with xp or nt as far as I know.

khandu

In the zone
dude is right..

2 bootloaders available for linux ( redhat espically ) are LILO and GRUB .. both support multiOS booting including XP/2000 etc..

@sreevirus..

I am not sure of exact kernel u using but 2.6 allows NTFS system.. else u can re-compile kernel and swith on NTFS support..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom