Problem installing FC3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
i am facing the following problem while trying to install FC3 from the DVD in LFY. during partitioning (i told it to go ahead with disk druid, as i was not very sure abt manual partitioning) , it says that partition request failed.... and shows the state of the drive as "none" against all fields like filesystem type, start cylinder, end cylinder etc.

My system config is : amd64 3000+, 512 ram,
80 gb disk partitioned as 15 gb ntfs(Winxp), 25 gb, 25gb both fat32, remaining around 11 gb had 2 partitions and contains suse 9.1 pro.(one part is / and other is swap). the error occurs even if suse is not there, and there is only one partition of space 11gb.
one sony cd writer set as sec. master
a sony dvd rom set as sec slave.

i think that when i installed suse too, it had shown a message that it was unable to set a separate partition for /boot, but i cant remember this clearly.

Pls help...

Bomb

Broken In
During Installation , Go to manual partition

On the partition which u have installed Suse, format it as Ext3 and keep its mount point as / i.e. root . let ur swap be as it is .Then go ahead with ur installation.

There is no need for any more partitions no /boot, /home etc

Just keep " / " of 5 or more GB &" /swap "of 256 - 512 MB

Hope this helps u.

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
darsh... i tried to install it

but it stops at the installing bootloader thing.. abt 30 minutes... i gave 4 gb to / and arnd 600mb to swap

then i tried to force it as a primary partition.. still did not help :(

asus a7n266-vm(royal pain)

athlon xp 1800+

256 mb ram

40 gb hdd samsung sv0412h

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
whereas other distros like linspire ;), xandros, suse, elx bizdesk!!!, knoppix, red hat 9... work perfectly with the above config... and a 4gb / partition and a 600 mb swap partition...

basically it installs all software packages and then it shows the finalizing installtion dialog box... it goes well too

but it sort of hangs while installing the bootloader.... i let it on for 30 minutes.... it shows the busy light.. but i cant even move the mouse pointer :(

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
600Mb of swap is ok for 512 MB of RAM machine Just in case you use vmware + open office and browse the net all at one ......realy does happen at times. I have a 1GB system and a swap of 1GB. Its OK

Bomb

Broken In
I personally dint try FC3 but read the requirements. It requires 256 Mb RAM for the graphical interface .

It's due to the large boot image , so the need for more RAM.

Read this months
whitepapers on FC3

I think thats the main reason why it dint install before on ur system , anand.

Any ways now that its installed --> CHEERS <--

-Sorry for replying late

gujubhai

Right off the assembly line
me too!!!

FC3 on DVD was very inviting,
done burning CDs from the ISO. made seperate for boot.iso.
after popping in the boot CD, i get welcomed to fedora installation.
faced following problems in both text mode as well as X mode...

i quote>>

Assertion (heads < 256) at disk_dos.c:486 in function probe_partition_for_geom() failed ignore/cancel

followed by same at disk_dos.c:485 ignore/cencel

followed by
assertion (sectors <=63) at disk_dos.c:490 in function probe_partition_for_geom() failed ignore cancel

followed by
install exited abnormally
may safely reboot for system.
>> end quote<<

tried couple of more times, but all roads lead to same error-Mall.
anyone gotta handle on this one??

specs as follows:
{p4 2.4ghz,asus 845Mobo, 512Mb,80gb [40 already occupied by w98se] hdd, DVDrom,asus53xcdrw}

:idea: minds welcome-
gujubhai

G

hey i have a peculiar problem here. as soon as i boot from CD and FC3 installation starts my key board hangs. it is very weird since FC1 was installed easily. i noticed the keyboard getting hanged when the media check comes... is there any way around it ??

p4 1.6Ghz
512 ram
128 mb GE Force Fx 5200
80 GB hard drive.

G

Re: me too!!!

gujubhai said:

i quote>>

Assertion (heads < 256) at disk_dos.c:486 in function probe_partition_for_geom() failed ignore/cancel

followed by
assertion (sectors <=63) at disk_dos.c:490 in function probe_partition_for_geom() failed ignore cancel

followed by
>> end quote<<

specs as follows:
{p4 2.4ghz,asus 845Mobo, 512Mb,80gb [40 already occupied by w98se] hdd, DVDrom,asus53xcdrw}

gujubhai

same problem here

but i got a little further by pressing cancel many a no of times

but the installation failed midway

Fedora core is working good

I am not able to get that u having a good working system then still fedora core cant be installed,i am using with 512mb ram with p4 1.7 ,and its working perfect,THANKS TO DIGIT
tell me what type of problem are u facing may be i can help you with that,send it with detail,and i must tell you its very easy to partition with fedora,i am using windows XP and fedora.

gujubhai

Right off the assembly line
shows that even good systems do not necessarily mean they wo

good systems do not necessarily mean they work!!!

if u hv come across above problems, please help. still having same problems. am shelving the fedora untill some stable version comes up again.

Re: me too!!!

gujubhai said:

i quote>>

followed by

followed by
>> end quote<<

specs as follows:

gujubhai

THANK GOD!!! its not just me.. I was about to format my entire HDD, thinking it was the problem. whew. saved by the bell. will wait for solutions...

G

hey

i hav win XP with SP 2 installed

now going to install linux (Fedora Core 3) first time adventure into linux for me :D

so

wanted to know .... this is my config

... guide me for installin Linux ...

INTEL P4 2.4
512 MB RAM
100 GB HDD.

HDD 1:

C: 20 GB (of 80 gb disk ) with windows XP with SP2 ... FAT32
D: 10 GB (of 20 gb disk ) FAT32
HDD 2:
E: 55 GB (of 80 gb disk ) NTFS
F: 05 GB (of 20 gb disk ) FAT 32
G: 05 GB (of 20 gb disk ) FAT 32.

so wanted to know which drive shud i install linux in ... which partition .... and is backup of data of all other partitions on tat drive needed ???

this is wat my engineer suggested (he has never used linux before :lol: :lol: :roll: )

backup data of HDD 2 onto HDD1
disconnect the HDD 1 (wich has windows)
boot with Linux distro and install linux on the HDD 2 ...........................

but i think there mite b other ways to do it which u guys must hav tried for sure ....
and also mention a good distro (just in case)
me plannin on Fedora or Solaris (as mentioned earlier)

also: any other stuf a newbie needs to know b4 installin linux (FC 3)

demoninside

In the zone
hey do this
remove(first backup the data ofcourse) 5&5 gb partitions of 20 gb Hard disk
& then let linux use only the free portion(for this u just need to remove those portions rather then realogating)
or if u can do partions during installation then this is very good all u need is to make backups,
If u find it's geting out of ur reach then mail here again i'll go with whole proccess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom