Prince of Persia 2008 - My Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

Psychosocial

Violent serenity.
UbiSoft has released a new Prince of Persia game. Well, actually the game says so. After a few hours of playing it and completing it, I want to share MY views on it. Lets get to the review directly as Prince of Persia does not need any introduction.

Graphics :-
So the guys at UbiSoft thought that making a game differently than what other companies make will be good and guess what, they were right! Atleast I think so. The water-color style graphics look and feel splendid. The HDR is done well. The animation is very fluid. Its actually a treat to watch the Prince and Elika platforming together. The physics, lightning and the shadows are done very well too. Sadly, the game is plagued by the odd frame drop issue. At certain points, the frames will drop drastically without any reason. Though they remain playable but they take quite a hit. The good news is that the game is not very demanding and will run on any decent system.

8/10 for the graphics.

Sound :-
The voice acting is done well but the background music is not very good and I miss the Warrior Within sound theme and the blood gushing music it played in the background when a fight was going on. Still, it ain't that bad. The sword clashes and the magic effects are pulled off well. You can hear the minutest detail like the dust flowing off a structure when Prince clings to it. Overall, its decently done.

7.5/10

Gameplay:-
Ah, the core of the game. Well its a lukewarm platformer. Its very easy. You never die in the game. Yes, you read that right. Prince goes around platforming with his side-kick Elika. Whenever you fall off, Elika will pull you back and land you on the last solid platform you set your foot on. This system is not good and the game hardly provides any challenge. The core of the game is to run around, jump around, defeat one enemy, purify the fertile land and collect light seeds (Orbs of light which give the power to activate plates to Elika)and repeat the same thing for another area. Thats it. It really gets repetitive, dull and boring. The fights are boring and sometimes annoying. Again, you cannot die in them. This does not make any sense to me. The combat system is ruined. You fight a single opponent at a time. You can counter-attack, use your gauntlet to launch the enemy in air and hit them or use Elike as a means of a weapon if the enemy is near to you. In fights, the enemy will change their state. Once in a certain state, only one kind of weapon( The sword or the guantlet or Elika's magic) will harm them and bring them back to the normal state. The puzzles, which were something which Prince of Persia series was known for has also vanished. There are puzzles but they are very easy. I solved 2 puzzles without knowing what to do :razz:. Though there was a puzzle which I loved because it made me think. The platforming is the same as the previous PoP games. Overall, its easy, repetitive and sometimes annoying. One good thing is the AI. The enemy is not smart but I did not have any problems with Elika getting stuck, etc.

4.5/10

Story:-
PoP was always known for its story. The new game has decent story. Prince was wandering around in a desert after raiding a tomb and his donkey went missing. He was searching for him when Elika stumbled upon him while running from some guards. The prince fights the guards and then gives chase after Elika until they stumble upon a big man. The prince fights with him and later comes to know that it was Elika's father and the king of the land so that makes Elika a princess. Elika reveals that his father was trying to stop her from reaching a temple. The Prince and Elika hurries to the temple. On the way, Elika narrates the whole situation. She tells the Prince about Ahriman, a dark creature who has been trapped in a temple and whom her father is trying to release. She asks the Prince for help to stop her father. They reach the temple and so does Elika's father. Her father wins and breaks the lock to Ahriman's seal. Elike later tells that Ahriman is still not free completely and can be stopped from escaping if they defeat the corruption and heal the fertile lands. Thats pretty much it but there a few turns and twists and they are good.

6.5/10

Overall its a decent game for a casual gamer but not at all worthy for being a part of the PoP series. Sadly, one more great series has been ruined.

Overall - 6.5/10

Gr8 review buddy but you forgot to keep one thing in mind while writing this review that it has got an ESRB-TEEN rating. So everything depends on this factor. You review was awesome but i don't agree on some points.

OP
Psychosocial

Psychosocial

Violent serenity.
^^Thanks. But everyone has different tastes. After playing games for over 5-6yrs, I want some challenge in the game I play. Plus some elements dont make sense. The worst part is that it is named 'Prince of Persia'. How can they name such a pile of crap 'Prince of Persia' ?

Plasma_Snake

Indidiot
Well I wasted my time and bandwidth downloading and now when it starts I get the no signal error! What is with these game studios setting non-standard res. as default res for there game? Can't they give sweet 1024x768 as default res.? So tell me guys where is the goddamn file to change the goddamn resolution of this $hitite game!

Plasma_Snake

Indidiot
Oh! Doodhz (Sepratay waley) Give solution to my problem too!
Forgeddaboutit! Found the solution meself! :D

Last edited:

cyborg47

Technomancer
being saved by Elika is not a bad idea according to me....inthe previous games if u fall of from an edge, u die and come back the previous place u have been..its the same ni this game..elika saves u and brings u back to the last place u've been standing. I'm sorry to say but the way you wrote the review makes me feel that u were waiting to criticize this game even before its released....anyway to me the game totally new and refreshing...though the storyline was not that strong...

alexanderthegreat

Overlord v2.0
I think its a wonderful review! Oh, and Elika babysitting you just can't feel good (or normal) to me ,at least. So, I support KPower! Oh, and I was against this game even before it had been launched! Read this:-
The concept of the prince has totally changed! :x I mean, I liked the trilogy series due to its dark, strong-but-silent theme that gave you the feeling "I stand alone"(Heck, they even included a great song called "I stand alone" in the 2nd game).

And whats with this sidekick business?!? Elika can fly! She cannot die! She is good in combat (better than the prince maybe). The prince looks like an idiot in front of her. She should've been the lead character.

And the prince doesn't even look princely! Even the dark-prince or the scruffy little prince from Warrior Within(that was real cool though) looked more royal!
This one's gonna go down the sewers if things are what they seem.

Oh, and are they gonna name the prince this time?

I stand by what I said before. This sequel has brought only shame to the POP series for the die hard POP fans! May the prince be reborn with a mightier sword in the next game(if there ever is one!). Oh, and without Cel-Shading!!!

Plasma_Snake

Indidiot
This time around, even though being a Cell-Shaded game, it looks amazingly impressive, only thing that I've gripe about is Combat, one enemy at a time, no sword swinging at ur own will, no more acrobatic or dual weapon moves, they've just killed the entire game with it alone. Elika on our side is a good thing, it breaks the monotony of the game, allowing us to interact with her, but wud've loved o see 'em in inter-action, namean ;) :D

alexanderthegreat

Overlord v2.0
^^That song is a good one.

I Stand Alone by Godsmack

Heh heh, yeah, Sully Ema pwnz! The other one was great too, the one in the credits in Warrior Within. 'Straight Out of Line' by Godsmack!

Oh, and does 'Prince of Persia (2008)' have nice songs? Or is it just the Alice in wonderland themed background music and nothing else for an audible treat?

OP
Psychosocial

Psychosocial

Violent serenity.
^You answered your question. Its the same old fary tale music in the background which you find in fantasy movies :|.

spikygv

Wise Old Owl
The new cell shading is quite good in my opinion. Story is not very captivating. After you guys said , i'm really missing the POP WW music. Fighting multiple enemies is something that they should have retained.But i would'nt want it the way we fought multiple sand dudes in SOT . prefer it the way it was in WW. And the new world wherein we can choose our path is lacking. .I was hoping there would be a detailed map and we find our way .This GPS system is stupid. On a postive side , Elika pulling the prince ( is he ? or the thief ) out of corruption or saving him when he falls is a fantastic idea. The moves that we can do with elika are also too good.

All in all , i liked the game. But it could have been better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom