Primary Hard Disk Not Detected

stellar

Journeyman
I have ESC 945 GCT-M2/1333 Motherboard. I have 80 GB PATA HDD and I added another 500 GB SATD HDD. The Jumper setting on PATA HDD was on primary but I changed it into secondary and made the SATA jumper Primary and installed Windows 8 in it. (PATA HDD Windows 7 Installed)
But windows 8 didn't showed PATA HDD so I unhooked the cable from the SATA HDD and changed jumper setting to Primary in PATA and tried to use Windows 7. Bios detects that HDD as Third Master slave only and won't run even though the jumper is in primary. What can be the problem? BIOS problem is it if so how to make it correct?How to use both the HDD. I want to make SATA primary and PATA secondary or load windows 8 in the bigger HDD and make the lower PATA one as backup drive only.

Tech_Wiz

Wise Old Owl
Why do you have to play with the Jumpers? Their is setting in BIOS to select boot device. Also if you want to use PATA as storage drive then Format the Windows 7 partition of it as it wont be getting used anyway.

And when you said Win 8 is not detecting the PATA HDD that time BIOS was detecting it or not?

The SATA drive also shouldn't have any jumpers set since SATA only allows one drive per connection. Also, check your BIOS and make sure the SATA drive is selected as the first boot drive.

For storage mode remove all the jumpers from PATA HDD. It has 3 modes Master, Slave & Single. If you remove all the jumpers it will run in Single Mode. Try it and revert.

OP
stellar

stellar

Journeyman
Even though I try to use PATA HDD,Unhooking the SATA HDD and setting Jumper to Primary, BIOS detects it as Third Master Drive and DVD RW as Third Slave drive. And Win 7 Os won't run at all. I have files on the PATA HDD which I want to save and copy to USB drive. How can it be made to Primary HDD so that windows can run?

Top Bottom