[Preview + Feedback] Digit February 2007

Status
Not open for further replies.

prasad_den

Padawan
prasad_den said:
HAve you guys looked up page 14... digit reader poll section..??? I see the graph for last month's poll results, but what was the actual poll question..?? I don't see anything there.. :D or am I missing something..?? :D :D Weird..!!!
Any replies...??? Anybody knows the question..??

Arsenal_Gunners

Human Spambot
The mag is quite nice(I have read only the p2p and drm articles till now)
But it is nice guys,you should buy it.(Please don't stop publishing about Ms. Spears in tabloid tech:D)

keanu_reeves

Broken In
hey FatBeing
Administratus Rotundus
i have not received the magazine as yet please tell me what should i do to get the magazine on the first of the month (atleast the first week). (I have already paid the subscription for 5 years)
I receive PC World and Chip then but i never receive digit then it is always after the 15th las month it broke all the records and i received it on the 27th. When a mag is that late it is sold as old issue in the market. Y should i not have 2 months extension for every delayed issue.

Atleast there should be some fine on Digit too for mailing the issues that late to subscribers.

Last edited:

kaustav_geek

1337 |)00|) \m/
And can u please define:layman
IMHO... a layman is one who doesn't know much about a given topic.
So... u read DIGIT, right. Why do u read it? Is it because u like readin stuff u already know?
NO... it's because u want to learn more... somethin new.
Meanin... u r a layman to some stuff DIGIT's puttin forward to u... until u finish the last page of that book... for that month.
Once u finish the mag.. it doesn't mean that u r Mr.Geek.
Next month.. DIGIT'll come out with some more things u don't have an idea about.
So... r u a Geek or... a Layman?

People'll think twice to buy a used-to-be-good-now-boring magazine if most of the readers don't feel @ ease with the content. Digit is now becoming boring for its normal reader-base.
Want more people to buy the mag... better add more color(not literally), bring out more pleasing stuff for the common man... not geek-stuff.

FYI... I was a DIGIT fan till recently... nowadays I too hesitate & openly feel CHIP's really beginning to eat into DIGIT's market. If DIGIT doesn't tie its shoelaces & start a good run... I fear CHIP'll grab more layman readers pretty soon.

Dude,

Don't Take my words as an assualt... I don't mean it anyway you look at it...

While I do agree abt myself being a layman and not a geek(don't go by my ID please)... But its not entirely correct that i read digit just to learn new things... I read it to know some things.. which i already know about, but would like to know them better...this doesn't make me a layman as per your def right??

Wel.. While I do read digit to improve my knowledge of certain things.. I also read it to get their opinion on certain things I already know... Their personal take on certain things I already know... I read Digit, Not to become a Mr. Geek as you might think , but to have a decent compilation of things we ought to be informed of and be able to reproduce when required, at my disposal..

If just sheer.. "knowing something you didn't know anything about" would have been the case... nothing beats WEB...

I guess you already know abt most of the blogging features?? Don't you.. But digit's personal take makes you know it better than you already did... that doesn't make you a layman...does it??

Your definition of a layman:
IMHO... a layman is one who doesn't know much about a given topic.
Itself says that... its one who doesn't know much... Don't you know much about DRM or P2P or better still the HD, WiFi??
You do...We do...We aren't laymen as per your def then right??

Thanks.

kaustav_geek

1337 |)00|) \m/
I Don't want to start a flame war... If I was negative in my approach towards any fellow member and have been using derogatory terms.. Please.. I would like to apologise...

Digit's articles in the past have been certainly a bit too technical rather than being easy to understand... I do agree... The articles ought to be short,precise,and not too heavy on our grey cells...

PS::increase the number of articles in the DIGITAL PASSION sub-section.

Thanks.

torrent08

Broken In
Tech Geek said:
Got my copy just now
seems to be good
Hi can someone post this Issue of Digit 2007 having the Article " DVD -Writers".

"Test Centre *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/../images/0702_DVD_test.jpg BurNer Kings
You’re nowhere without a DVD drive these days. We’ve rounded up the best and worst out there— both Combo drives (four of them) and eight DVD-Writers. There’s now no reason not to replace your crumbling CD-Writer "

Im planni to buy a new DVD riter soon...It would be very helpful :) thanks everyone who hopefully will post tat article here...or atleast which DVD riter have come out first according to the magazine..

rajasekharan

Youngling
hi :). . i like the cover a lot :) :) :). nice to see gandhi with DRM :) :) keep it up . . its far better than a sexy girl . . it conveyed a strong meaning :). well done guys . . who ever thought of that idea deserves a pat in the back . but the article was a bit disappoinment , you did not convey a strong message . you touched only the surface. but "gandhi's"picture said it all :).now this is how you need to gain popularity :).GOOD JOB

pyn.techhelp

Right off the assembly line
plz plz.......................plz plz plz

change the courier and start delivering isuues on time.
6th feb is here and i haven't recieved my jan issue yet.this is worst to say the least.
also no proper response through mail too.

i mailed about late delivery of mags on jan.27your response is "we will respond shortly" does shortly by your language mean months.

this is becomming annoying month after month to complain about not recieving or late recieving of mags.plz change the courier to some good one's like afl,bluedart etc.....................

take this seriously digit guys

otherwise in a matter of time you will lose many of your readers or atlest you will loose your subscribers.

deba_2k_1

Broken In
not buying this one ..........already bought PCworld & CHIP........far better than DIGIT.......atleast this month.........

led_shankar

In Shamful Mystery
Hey, I liked this month's issue. I've only had a cursory glance till now, so I cannot pinpoint the best of the best articles, or give an in-depth review. Still, here goes nothing:

* GREAT idea @ TV-Tuner: nice timing :)

* Interesting article on Fonts. complaint: ONE f-ing link in the whole article? Please, you should have given a table of URLs with descriptions of each. Bad Bad Bad <forgot how to make an angry smiley :p >

* Many other really good articles on Internet Instructions, Smart Business, Kerala e-literacy,

* The cover article on p2p and DRM looks really cool. I'm gonna read it today at lerisure. (I seem to be the only person here who wants MORE such articles)

* The macworld expo 2007 was crap - not enough + too many pics and too little content. It mostly looked like a photo-review of of the iphone. I've got nothing against reviewing the iphone, but you could have put that in another article. This was about the expo... some excerpts from the speeches etc would have been muchh better. By the way, ROTFLMAO @ the Jim Allchin quote, though I have no idea who he is (and did he survive at microsoft after making that comment)

* Could I request that you cover the Crap-free PC topic (Escape, page 136) a little more extensively in a future issue? I'd love to read it with an Indian context.

* Uh... One Silly Question is.... stupid. Maybe you could convert it into a less frivolous thing, like asking serious question to people on the street. That would be much more interesting than the unfunny responses they actually give. ("I would like to gift my computer an antivirus for valentine's day".... ugh)

* Hot/Not is way too short.

* The people who keep complaining are really weird.... All your articles seem consistently great. I used to feel Chip was better than Digit, but now Digit is miles ahead of them all. :)

BTW, I have one thing to ask: has there ever been a case where the old way won over the tech way in digit? I find it hard to believe that watching a webcast could tie with attending a conference, EVER! how...? (perhaps I should start a chitchat thread on this...)

OP
FatBeing

FatBeing

Administratus Rotundus
led_shankar said:
BTW, I have one thing to ask: has there ever been a case where the old way won over the tech way in digit? I find it hard to believe that watching a webcast could tie with attending a conference, EVER! how...? (perhaps I should start a chitchat thread on this...)

There was paper book vs. e-book, and I think the classic radio vs. Internet radio.

The webcast thing might be a tad biased - our profession depends on attending press conferences, and our deadlines usually make them impossible to attend. Even so, webcasts work as free information for those who want it, or don't want to go out of their way to attend events. The sheer convenience makes up for the disadvantages of not being there.

led_shankar

In Shamful Mystery
If I recollect correctly, I believe paper book tied with e-book.
Though I guess you would know better :p

The conveience may make it somewhat "okay"... but not anywhere close to the live events.

ANd could you please address the complaints in my post? (links in articles, expo review, one silly question.

thanks for the prompt reply, though.

blackpearl

The Devil
I bought this issue yesterday and I have to say that I'm impressed with its contents. I've read only the P2P article and its very informative.

The idea of Creative Common license for P2P is a neat one, if only it could be implemented. In reality, it isn't for free that P2P users have been downloading legal stuff. They have been paying for the stuff they download in terms of bandwidth usage; the only difference is that instead of the music companies and movie producers the ISPs have been earning the profit. The "Creative Common" license for P2P would be hard to implement. Even if such a scheme exist it has to be made seperate from the usual broadband plan that ISPs offer, because not all subscribers might be interested in using P2P. In such a case it will be upto the subscriber whether they signup for this scheme. If the usual bandwidth available for the subscriber is large enough he will still chose to download stuff from P2P without signing up for that scheme. Consider what happened to the online gaming package introduced by BSNL. They rates are cheap for just Rs 100 to Rs 200 p.m. you could download games legally and play online. But how many of us have used that offer? And BSNL cannot force anybody who games into signing up for that package. The same will happen to music/movies package when it comes.

@led_shanker: I remember correctly, the good old paper book won against the ebook. I always hate ebook. And I agree that Digit has been giving good articles nearly consistently for the last couple of months, however with an occasional not-so-good issue or two, like the Dec 06 one.

OP
FatBeing

FatBeing

Administratus Rotundus
led_shankar said:
If I recollect correctly, I believe paper book tied with e-book.
Though I guess you would know better :p

The conveience may make it somewhat "okay"... but not anywhere close to the live events.

ANd could you please address the complaints in my post? (links in articles, expo review, one silly question.

thanks for the prompt reply, though.
What kind of response do you want? We do what we do; some people find it good, some find it crappy. It's the way of the world...

In re the crap-free PC, the Indian context is pretty much the same as the world's - you want cheap PC, you deal with pre-loaded crapware.

(Jim Allchin is still with MS, by the way)

@blackpearl: The article does mention the P2P fee as a separate offer from ISPs. So an ISP's plan would be such:

256kbps unlimited, no P2P - Rs x
256kbps unlimited, with P2P - Rs x + say, 200

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom