[Preview + Feedback] Digit February 2007

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaustav_geek

1337 |)00|) \m/
dfordigit said:
Digit is more & more shifting towards so called useless articles.

The articles aren't all useless.. Please name some if you please can..Besides if you have access to the net.. go on.. research there.. I assure u that u'll get info faster there, than in digit.. Digit is just a publication's take on tech...Its wat they think is usefull.. And I support them..

We readers are not only eager to know on any IT front what is happening,which new gadgets have entered, but we want to learn things which can help readers to solve there daily problems, gain additional knowledge to survive in todays environment.

So please don't say stories about anything, we are grown up at least!

I don't fully agree. Daily problem solving isn't at all the general concern for most users...the monthly tips and tricks do a great job.. The concern is that the articles digit has been publishing from past few months(barring jan) have been slightly inclined towards the business segment. The home users have also had their share of articles.. But it was hard to find those articles..those DIYs and workshops which aren't quite common and are quite offbeat.. A la jan's cooling article.

Its not that digit hasn't been satisfying us.. But this issue fails to deliver from the point of veiw of the sheer number of workshops.. Please digit.. include hands-on and workshops on something like some custom image creation or converting a GFx's passivd cooling to active..and the like.

Much love..

Last edited:
OP
FatBeing

FatBeing

Administratus Rotundus
First, thanks for the faith. We will be doing more geeky DIY articles, but the P2P/DRM issue is something that needed addressing given the way things are going these days.

For those interested, there's a little workshop on how to build a USB charger for your cell phone as well.

We like to do things that are uniquely Digit, so even if the DIYs don't come as often, we'll make sure they're worth the wait.

kaustav: What exactly do you mean by custom image creation?
And to convert your passive cooling to active, just buy a 60 mm fan and super glue/screw it to your existing heatsink.

kaustav_geek

1337 |)00|) \m/
Gr8..

fatbeing said:
kaustav: What exactly do you mean by custom image creation?
And to convert your passive cooling to active, just buy a 60 mm fan and super glue/screw it to your existing heatsink.

Thanks for the info but I've already done that(active heatsink) on my own.I just posted it as an example..

I'm really sorry abt not being clear in my words::By custome image creation I mean that you could create a phoshoped image(manipulated i.e) using GIMP giving it a new meaning (A la sci fi or anything els) in a tutorial. This could be done using the hidden as well common features of GIMP.It needs some focuss being an excellent OSS product.

Moreover you could include more hands-on on LAN setup,multiplaya gaming,VMware's applications, LINUX codes(commands and special features)

Ps:: Do all linux distros feature similar command structures??? I mean How is Ubuntu different from Dyne?? I'm not asking it from the application point of veiw , rather i wana know that do they offer the same basic LINUX functionality,in terms of power,control,command structures???

PS2::You can safely do away with the TECH-tabloid, in its place some handy kow more abt or some DIYs will do more justice.

OP
FatBeing

FatBeing

Administratus Rotundus
kaustav:
We have covered GIMP in a previous issue, though this was before I joined. We'll consider the idea, though once you've had an intro, what you achieve with GIMP is really about your own creativity.

And yes, at heart, every Linux distro has a very similar, if not the same, heart.

kaustav_geek

1337 |)00|) \m/
Well.. yeah You've done but its very basic.. Most of the people know atleast that much..... OK lets say you introduce a photoshoping contest every issue??? That'l fuel creativity??? I'm sure.

I'm some articles in the past have been gr8:: the architechture of AMD K8 and Intel's Core...DDR2... Direct X 10.. and the like... Its these articles that we are more interested in... Kindly feature more artciles of these sorts rather than articles on business segment apps... Please.

koolbluez

Šupər♂ - 超人
yeah... price kam karo... yaar... and make it easier on the mind.
Frankly speakin... the condition of DIGIT(the mag) these days... boring @ many places... makin me hesitate buyin it.. and promptin me shift my loyality to CHIP.
Need to glossy up the mag & make it more layman-friendly.

Last edited:

spironox

Booting Nicotine!!
digitprasad said:
The magazine contents seems really poor.

Cd and DVD content , very poor, nothing special.

Dont waste money buying this issue.

:(

uhhhh seems digit is degrading or what !!! mod have look what the people are saying..... digit ....wake up .....renew things up make things look/work/feel better

kaustav_geek

1337 |)00|) \m/
koolbluez said:
yeah... price kam karo... yaar... and make it easier on the mind.
Frankly speakin... the condition of DIGIT(the mag) these days... boring @ many places... makin me hesitate buyin it.. and promptin me shift my loyality to CHIP.
Need to glossy up the mag & make it more layman-friendly.

I agree with the "price kam karo" but i can't digest the layman friendly point...Are you a layman in the first place?? I hope not... Speak for yourself mate... If you are so keen on digit's improvement .. pin point the exact improvements you want... Help in the right spirit please???

Thanx

contactpraven2001

In the matrix of linux
dfordigit said:
HI,

It seems by refering last so many Digit issue that now a days Digit is more & more shifting towards so called useless articles.

We readers are not only eager to know on any IT front what is happening,which new gadgets have entered, but we want to learn things which can help readers to solve there daily problems, gain additional knowledge to survive in todays environment.

So please don't say stories about anything, we are grown up at least!

Dear Readers,

Now a days there are so many IT magazines like Digit,CHIP,PC WORLD etc. So don't become subscriber of any such magazine. What you can do is, check website of these IT magazine for which articles they gave this month,and then decide which magazine articles (even dvd/cd also) are really interests you. After that you may pick your interested mag if any from news stand.YOU MAY DECIDE TO DROP ANY ISSUE IF YOU PREFER & SAVE MONEY.

PLEASE GIVE YOUR FEEDBACK IN THE MATTER.

THANKS.

i m with you...........
in these days digit is just becoming bore.......

Aberforth

The Internationalist
I liked the article on DRM and P2P which gives an objective view instead of an opinionated and one-side-biased one (like the millions out there). The Fast Track on Blogging was good too, a welcome considering I was planning a shift from Movable Type to Wordpress. But the review was biased towards only the hosted version of wordpress without much about the feature of the platform software which we could install on our own webspace and apparently has a lot of features (with or without plugins). Moreover civil and sensible articles do not always sell as much as politically charged controversial articles which are shocking...my experience with a few blogs. I liked the "Along Equal Lines" article on robots and AI too, interesting read.

prasad_den

Padawan
HAve you guys looked up page 14... digit reader poll section..??? I see the graph for last month's poll results, but what was the actual poll question..?? I don't see anything there.. :D or am I missing something..?? :D :D Weird..!!!

koolbluez

Šupər♂ - 超人
kaustav_geek said:
I agree with the "price kam karo" but i can't digest the layman friendly point...Are you a layman in the first place?? I hope not... Speak for yourself mate... If you are so keen on digit's improvement .. pin point the exact improvements you want... Help in the right spirit please???
Thnx 4 the YES & the NO. I don't need to b a layman to speak for the layman.

And can u please define:layman
IMHO... a layman is one who doesn't know much about a given topic.
So... u read DIGIT, right. Why do u read it? Is it because u like readin stuff u already know?
NO... it's because u want to learn more... somethin new.
Meanin... u r a layman to some stuff DIGIT's puttin forward to u... until u finish the last page of that book... for that month.
Once u finish the mag.. it doesn't mean that u r Mr.Geek.
Next month.. DIGIT'll come out with some more things u don't have an idea about.
So... r u a Geek or... a Layman?

People'll think twice to buy a used-to-be-good-now-boring magazine if most of the readers don't feel @ ease with the content. Digit is now becoming boring for its normal reader-base.
Want more people to buy the mag... better add more color(not literally), bring out more pleasing stuff for the common man... not geek-stuff.

FYI... I was a DIGIT fan till recently... nowadays I too hesitate & openly feel CHIP's really beginning to eat into DIGIT's market. If DIGIT doesn't tie its shoelaces & start a good run... I fear CHIP'll grab more layman readers pretty soon.

Last edited:
OP
FatBeing

FatBeing

Administratus Rotundus
Indyan said:
But, please increase the font size for the digit cd/dvd interface. Its barely readable.

Seems you're running at 800 x 600. The interface is optimised for 1024x768; I advise using that, but we'll look into this nonetheless.

╬Switch╬

In the zone
Do you know that PCWorld has given OpenSuSE this month. I think its worth a buy.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom