[Preview + Feedback] Digit February 2007

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dfordigit

I am fan of Digit. I love to read it. Only that's why I complain for which i don't like.

I started discussion in the begining of the month about usability of articles.I find from many views expressed here that too greeky articles are also demanded by some persons. So let you conti for such people. But overall articles like How to's, tutorials, q&a, tips & trics, agent001 are more necessary things. So Fatbeing, may i ask you to give more pages to such articles in future? I think Chip is doing exactly that,so some members also like Chip.

O.k

Digit is best, I wish all the best to conti to be best.

Request:

Why don't you include video tutorials on CD/DVD? You may shoot in house video tutorials at Digit, and provide us on DVD.IN THIS WAY YOUR SHOOT OUT PRODUCTION DOES NOT REQUIRE ANY PERMISSIONS, NO PURCHASE COST, AND WILL BE EXCLUSIVE TUTORIAL OF DIGIT TEAM!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
S

SE><IE

Those rippling effects are achieved using actions-scripting? Man! I nearly went org4sm!c :D
Those small nifty additions of volume control and calendar were too kewl to be ignored. I wish Xp had such dialog boxes :D

You know sometimes I just forget its not windows and end up right clicking on minimized window at taskbar to close it (right click> close):p

There's just one glitch, on clicking maximize, you get the window centered at 800x600 on a 1024x768 screen. I guess thats because it was optimized for 800x600.

Here's a tip, why not integrate digit archive with this interface? Maybe digit archive comes in this form (OS ishtyle) and when you pop in the CD/DVD the "digit menu" (start menu) changes to show contents of the disc which was just popped in. Maybe not in real time but on restarting digit archive which possibly comes in this form.

-seXie

OP
FatBeing

FatBeing

Administratus Rotundus
SE><IE said:
There's just one glitch, on clicking maximize, you get the window centered at 800x600 on a 1024x768 screen. I guess thats because it was optimized for 800x600.

That's not a glitch - maximise really means center in the DigitOS.

S

SE><IE

FatBeing said:
That's not a glitch - maximise really means center in the DigitOS.
lol, strange, maybe the default window size (restored) should be made a bit smaller then :D
I guess maximising a window and expecting it to really get maximised at both 800x600 and 1024x768 would be hard or perhaps impossible to obtain considering you need to know the system resolution first. Anyways, its a really nifty job done by you fellas. *avalonsoftware.org/foro/images/smiles/mano2.gif

What about the standlone feature I talked of? DigitOS built as a standalone feature which can be downloaded for once from the site and each month's contents etc are seen as plugins for the same. This way even an appreciable size won't cost a buck from the disc estate
Well, its just an idea :)
The immense effort being put into the interface drived me to think out-of-the-box.

-seXie

OP
FatBeing

FatBeing

Administratus Rotundus
SE><IE said:
lol, strange, maybe the default window size (restored) should be made a bit smaller then :D
I guess maximising a window and expecting it to really get maximised at both 800x600 and 1024x768 would be hard or perhaps impossible to obtain considering you need to know the system resolution first. Anyways, its a really nifty job done by you fellas. *avalonsoftware.org/foro/images/smiles/mano2.gif

It's not really hard; it's just that we wanted the desktop to be visible at all times.

SE><IE said:
What about the standlone feature I talked of? DigitOS built as a standalone feature which can be downloaded for once from the site and each month's contents etc are seen as plugins for the same. This way even an appreciable size won't cost a buck from the disc estate
Well, its just an idea :)
The immense effort being put into the interface drived me to think out-of-the-box.

-seXie

It's a thought, that. I can't guarantee we'll even think on those lines, but for the record, it's a good idea.

blackpearl

The Devil
Oh well, I forgot to comment about the interface. Now it looks really cool. Easy to navigate and the clock and calender are nice additions. Great work!! However the fonts look a little distorted in 800x600 resolutions. Couldn't you fix that?

OP
FatBeing

FatBeing

Administratus Rotundus
Yeah we noticed, though we're prioritising new features before we fix that - remember that the minimum requirement is 1024x768.

mobileman

In the zone
Re: [Preview + Feedback] regarding EDITORIAL

dear officials and co readers,
well, i m writing here regarding new 'EDITORIAL' of the latest issue.
its regarding the comparison among INDIA and USA regarding cell usage.

bt it seems to me that,a little complicated contents.
could any official, or even any co readers,guide me pls?
i m vry mch interested on that to topic.

also, digit is nice.bt y cant it contain a "do it yourself " section on each issue?

waiting to get replied /guided.

thanking you

lalam

In the zone
This months issue was great! I really liked it. I liked most of the softwares also the magazine gave me some good reading to do as i don't consider a magazine lol. By the way the wallpapers of the digit cd and dvd were really cool i would like to have it.

S

SE><IE

Well, it goes like this. There in the US, 90-95% of cellphones are sold by the service providers (cingular etc). consider it like getting a Nokia phone from reliance outlet. This is bound to happen with CDMA and US is dominated by CDMA (worry not, GSM won't last much here either), so the end result is you are bound by the no. of sets provided by the service provider. See, if you don't like the "collection" of phones at a reliance outlet then you can very well go and buy one for yourself and get a connection from reliance.
US citizens can't go and buy out (at least without going through tiring efforts) a cell phone because, as I said, " US is dominated around 90-95% by CDMA providers" hence cellphone selling shops are very rare to find.
The result is you are trapped with the provider/phone. So, if Apple decides to launch iPhone only with service from cingular and none other then either you gotta shift to cingular, dropping your current phone and number or just sit and curse.
"trapped in paradise" aren't they?

@Deepak Ajwani: I got one question at this topic- Why the hell the service providers can't make your old phone use the new service? Hardcoded in the phone?

pyn.techhelp

Right off the assembly line
hi.

i have recieved my feb issue. but the cover was torn bad.

also i am yet to recieve my jan isuue.this hurts.come on guys.plz send me the jan issue.

avinasha1987

Hai Everyone,

I am grateful to DIGIT for introducing me to blogging.Thanks to you I was able to start my own blog in no time.Usually Fasttracks' not only give a lot of information, but also a little bit of history about the subject it deals with.But this was missing in this issue of Fasttrack to Blogging. So I decided to post about Blogging's history in my new blog "W5H-When,Where,Why,What,Which and How". Read through the post and enjoy. Don't forget, Please Comment.
w5h-avi.blogspot.com

pushpindera

Re: [Preview + Feedback + Suggestion] Digit February 2007 - Power 2 The People

Dear Friends,

I am new to the forum of digit, but I am attached with digit since it was Chip. I thought of writing articles for digit but you can say that I was a shy guy who was not having anything specific to write or may be that was not the right time to interact with you people. I think that’s enough about me as well as my collaboration with digit. Now come to the point why I thought now to interact with all of you.

This is regarding the cover feature (Power 2 The People) of February 2007 issue of digit written by Robert Smith. He has also given a caption to the story “Can piracy via P2P be stopped?

My answer to his question is “Yes! Piracy can be stopped!”

The first question he raised in his article about the legality. I don’t want to give all the details of the article. So readers are requested to go through the article themselves (As it is also illegal to copy the contents of an article for your purpose). Can it be possible to ban all P2P? also is it not like restricting the rights of the companies just because some users are doing something for which the software is not meant? Just to give an example- In India there is a handsome number of personalities who use cough syrups just for nasha and not as a medicine. What does it implies? Will it be a great idea to ban the cough syrups? The answer is ‘No’ and why not? The answer is given in the advantages part of the article.

There is one solution given by the Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF), which seems most humorous to me. It says that instead of suing a few Americans for downloading music, perhaps we should just charge every individual with a broadband connection a small monthly fee and allow them to download all the music they want from P2P, without any legal issues. Now, what if a person don’t want to download anything from P2P, why he will pay for that extra (even if it is a small amount). Also, it is not a solution to stop piracy but it is like a clear win of pirates.

Before the solution:

I just want to give a brief of how P2P works. A person gives the name of file (whatever the format is) to the downloader software. The downloader software searches for all the occurrence of that file and displays the files. The user selects a file and starts downloading.

Now here lies the idea:

Let me describe my idea in a very simple way. We all know that there exists a main file in every case. In case of softwares its .exe or .com without which a user can not run the software or you can say the initial coding is given in that file. Now, my idea is that one tag is inserted into it, which will only reflect that this software is not a sharable software. Now, here comes the trick. The P2P downloader creating persons can be forced to make their downloaders read that tag and if that tag is found, it will not be displayed in the list of available downloads. Now if the file will not be displayed in the downloader, it will not be downloaded.

Let us consider the fact that suing thousands of users of a downloader is difficult but making a downloader responsible for not able to read tag is much easier and hence suing one person who is responsible for making that downloader is good.

I am waiting for the response from the persons here on this forum as well as digit team.

Pushpinder Arora

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom