Power supply for my 8800GT

Status
Not open for further replies.

siddarth88

Right off the assembly line
Guys, I've a Core2Quad Q6600 2.4Ghz Processer with 4Gigs RAM and two Hard disks (250GB and 400GB) with two DVD writers.
I recently got a Geforce 8800GT XFX Alpha dog edition...
What do u think is the best power supply that i can use for this and can i finish it in less than 3000bucks?? I presently hav a 450Watt Zebronics(non-pcie) SMPS
Please help me out with this and thanx in advance!! :)

Plasma_Snake

Indidiot
I have a PSU related query too. I want to know that can a PSU with 18A of Current on 12V rail handle 9600GT? What's the power and current requirements of the said card?

OP
S

siddarth88

Thank you guys... But i live at chennai and the prices dont seem to be the same here....
Will try that n post back

Shloeb

In the zone
Forget about cooler master series. Get a corsair VX450. It will be more than enough for ur needs and it comes with a 5year warranty. The CM ones come with 2 yr warranty. Moreover Corsair is a much better brand. This PSU has 33A on +12V rail which will be more than enough for ur future upgrades.

Shloeb

In the zone
^^ I don't know about that because my UPS battery is already dead. :D Whenever the light goes the PC switches off automatically. :D

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
I have a PSU related query too. I want to know that can a PSU with 18A of Current on 12V rail handle 9600GT? What's the power and current requirements of the said card?
My apologies for missing the query in a hurry.EVGA recommends a PSU with 400W & a minimum of 26A on a single +12V line.Which PSU do you have?

OP
S

siddarth88

@shoeb
Hey sorry i got a CM 600W Extreme Power before i read thru further replies in this thread. :( Neways, my box says that i shud go for a minimum of 500Watts and my PC runs with 2hdds, 2dvdrws, core2quad n a 8800GT with lotsa cabinet fans. I guess 600Watts is the better idea and does corsair VX450 mean that its a 450Watt SMPS??!

Hrithan2020

In the zone
@shoeb
Hey sorry i got a CM 600W Extreme Power before i read thru further replies in this thread. :( Neways, my box says that i shud go for a minimum of 500Watts and my PC runs with 2hdds, 2dvdrws, core2quad n a 8800GT with lotsa cabinet fans. I guess 600Watts is the better idea and does corsair VX450 mean that its a 450Watt SMPS??!

Actually it is xtremely likely that corsair 450w would be able to handle more power than cooler master 600w(have to check though),considering the reputation corsair has built for itself in such a small amount of time.Corsair is certainly one of the best psu brands right now.

Shloeb

In the zone
^^+1. Its the efficiency that matters. Corsair provides 85%++ efficiency.It provides upto 570W. As in ur case u have lot of hardware, i think u should have gone for cosair. But anyways CM is also a good brand, it won't let u down. ;)

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
@shoeb
Don't worry too much mate.The CM Extreme should easily be able to handle your current config.Infact my friend has been using it over a year has more load than yours.He has an E6600, 5 SATA II HDD's 2x120MM fans, previously an 8800GTS 320MB & recently upgraded to a HD4870 which seems to be working flawlessly too.Both Corsair & Coolermaster are excellent brands when it comes to PSU.The only reason I didn't suggest a Corsair earlier is because of your limited budget earlier & like you said your location.:)

OP
S

siddarth88

Yeah CM is good. I hav a 8-yr old ups which is almost dead and my systemj often restarted when power failed...but after getting the CM 600, its not restarting when the power goes off even when i am into a high end 3d game (Assassin Creed/Crysis). Its hold time is pretty decent and its 70% efficient. So newayz,thank you guys for the "so many" reponses and is there any general forum on thinkdigit where we can generally talk abt anything?? Coz its good to post questions and get replies :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom